INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having to reload library  (Read 2000 times)

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
Having to reload library
« on: September 07, 2019, 07:25:50 am »

JRiver has ran perfectly on my mac until the last few days.

For some reason all my Flacs are seen on the main screen but none will play.

I'm having to import my whole collection each time i start up jriver 25.

Then everything is fine until i close down next time.
All flacs are stored on local NAS

Any ideas ?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Having to reload library
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:53:09 am »

First, let's get your library back to where it was with a Library Restore.  MC makes automatic library backups, so you can get back to a known state in case weird stuff happens.  Weird stuff like this.  :)

File > Library > Restore Library > (pick file here)

You should see lots of files from the last weeks and months with dates in their names.  Choose one from before thi started happening.  After the restore is complete, you library should look just like it looked before.

Second, your library might be going weird because of an MC setting.  It almost sounds like your NAS path to each file is changing for some reason.  You can get some more info by hovering over one of the files that won't play and looking at the file location that pops up in the information box.  Or go to Audio > Files and look at the location in the FileName column.

There's a related setting in MC which might have something to do with this, but I'm not sure based on what you've said.  This setting tells MC what to do when it can't see a file any more.  By default, MC removes any file it can't see.  But that does not seem to describe your issue.  You say all files are unplayable.  Do their icons have red (-) signs on them?  The red minus sign indicates that MC can't find the file where it thinks it should be.

A screen shot or two might help here.

Good luck.

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 08:53:16 am »

Just done that.
Now in my Audio....Recents........i have the recent albums with other titles...

eg...album cover ZZTop with Joe Bonnamassa title.

But this is only in Recents.

Albums and Artists are fine.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:10:46 pm »

All files have the red circle/white dash to the left.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:57:08 pm »

Ok, it does sound like MC thinks it can't see your files.  This could be because the NAS is not ready when MC fires up.  Or if you leave MC running, but the NAS goes to sleep, MC will at some point see that the files are "gone".

The setting that might help is:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Tasks > Fix broken links > (select)

It's probably set it "Yes" right now.  A better setting for you would be "Yes (protect files on missing drives)".  I have mine set to "No" so there's no way MC will ever try to delete my "missing files".

But again, I'm not sure this is it because you can see your files with the minus signs.  I would look at the path of one of the missing files.  Make a note of it.  Perhaps write it down or copy it to a text file.  Then do whatever procedure you have figured out which brings the files back.  Look at the file path again.  Compare them.  Are they the same? 

Another thing to try is to refresh the view you are in.  Press the circle with arrow key at the top of the view.  Or navigate to somewhere else:  Maybe Video.  Then navigate back to albums or artists and see if things have changed.  If MC temporarily can't see your NAS, then refreshing the view might let it see them once the NAS has woken up.

All of this assumes that your NAS goes to sleep.  If it does not ever sleep, then most of what I wrote is going to be wrong.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:06:12 am »

When I had a similar problem it was due to the fact that the “Music” share on my Synology NAS somehow got dismounted from my iMac. When re-mounted and the view refreshed the little “do not enter” traffic signs disappear.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 11:41:57 am »

I have the correct path set, but on start up of both NAS and Mac /mc25 I'm still getting the red symbols and have to reload the library,very strange.

HaWi

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »

Setting the correct path is not enough for me. I have to be sure that the correct permissions are set and that the share is mounted on my iMac. When the share is not mounted all the tracks show with the correct path but the red symbols appear.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 02:38:15 am »

Could anyone help me with the same old problem.
When starting up MC25 I'm having to restore to a previous backup and let MC25 run auto update on all new files from connected NAS.
This is everytime on start up.
Im getting the red no entry sign on all files.Nothing will play through network.And connected NAS is connected to the correct path,ive double checked this but cant sort it out
Any ideas ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 08:46:40 am »

Is MC's library on a local drive? 

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 09:16:32 am »

Yes Ethernet NAS, and correct path is set up

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »

If you mean that the library is on the NAS, that could be a problem.  The NAS could be slow to respond.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 04:30:12 pm »

Try this:

Select one of your missing files.  Now right click > locate > on disk external

This should bring up a Finder window with the file in it.  Does that work?

Whether or not that works, please cut and paste here, one of the full path names to one of your missing files.  I'm pretty sure this is related to your NAS, how it's mounted, going to sleep, etc.  But I can't tell what's going on without more details.

Thanks,

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 04:37:50 am »

I get dialog box with ...File does not exist .....all files have no entry signs.

I then have to restore library, then auto import

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 07:41:35 am »

Please cut and paste the full path to one of your missing files.

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 08:46:57 am »

Name   Artist   Album   Rating   Genre   Track #   Duration   Bitrate   File Type   Date   Filename
Spirit of Radio   Rush   Driving Rock: 37 Classic Anthems for the Open Road   ? stars   Rock   12   4:57   973   flac   2005   /Volumes/Public/Shared Music/Various Artists/Driving Rock; 37 Classic Anthems for the Open Road/12 Rush - Spirit of Radio.flac

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 08:51:00 am »

this is dialog box

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 09:06:05 am »

What happens when you go to Finder and try to navigate to /Volumes/Public/Shared Music/   ?

I'm guessing that volume is not mounted when you see the red circles and get the "file does not exist" message. 

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 09:31:39 am »

In finder doesn't find drive..connection failed....I have to sign in as registered user

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 10:05:48 am »

Well, there's your problem!  :)

The drive needs to be mounted, and signed on with a registered user, before you start MC.  Once that's done, MC will work correctly.

I know you can have the Mac mount your network drive, or drives, when you log in, automatically.  I have not done this because I do not use NAS drives with my Macs.  But here are two articles that show how to do it.  Hopefully they will help you:

https://www.maciverse.com/mount-a-network-drive-in-os-x-on-startup.html
https://www.imore.com/how-automatically-mount-network-drives-macos

Good luck!

Brian.

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 10:24:31 am »

Fantastic...Thankyou so much,ive been pulling my hair out for months.
A mate has told me to stop messing around and get a NUC,one unit to switch on ,easy life.
Or so he says
Pages: [1]   Go Up