INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frame by frame  (Read 1152 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Frame by frame
« on: September 08, 2019, 04:14:39 am »

Hi,

How do I go frame by frame forward or backward when a video is in pause?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

audunth

Re: Frame by frame
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:38:10 am »

Okay, did some searching in the older versions' forums, and found it there :)

In case others are wondering:

While in pause:
Shift+right arrow - One frame forward
Ctrl+Shift+arrow - One key frame forward or backward (apparently doesn't work with all file formats)
Left arrow while in Frame Stepping mode - One second backward
One frame backward not possible at the moment.

Now if only these commands could be included in the Remote command list so I could program them on my Logitech (through USB-UIRT), is this possible? Or is there a configuration file or register key that can be edited to achieve this?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

wer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:13 pm »

I would very much like to know if this can be done via remote.

The list of actual remote commands is limited, but there is a (convoluted) way to send keystrokes by remote, and this is by launching an external command to send keystrokes by way of an MCC 27000 command.

The problem is that as far as I can tell, MCC 27000 doesn't support modifiers like control or shift, so it would be impossible to send those keystrokes for frame by frame.

Unless JRiver will expand the list of remote commands, or eliminate the limitation on MCC 27000 MCC_KEYSTROKE then I don't think MC can do this.

Which is a shame, because for HTPC/Theater-View users, if it can't be done by remote, it's the same as the feature not existing.

You also might be able to rig something up with a 3rd party program like AutoHotkey, but I hate solutions like that.

But perhaps someone will correct me and let us know if this actually can be done by remote.

audunth

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

Yeah, it would probably work setting up a program like Eventghost, which supports the USB-UIRT and can send keystrokes, but it would just be so much easier if the frame stepping commands were added to the Remote command list.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 06:02:32 pm »

The other way to do this is to ditch MC's "native" remote support and do it all with keyboard emulation.  How?  With a FLIRC.

FLIRC is a tiny USB IR receiver which can accept remote control codes from nearly any remote.  Sony, Yamaha, Denon, VIsio... whatever.  FLIRC can see the codes.  Now the genius part:  FLIRC appears to your computer as a keyboard!  You use the FLIRC programming app to tell FLIRC what keys to send, when it sees specific IR codes.

So you can use the Play command on some remote and tell it to send Control-P (which is MC's keyboard command for Play).  You could tell FLIRC to send these frame by frame commands when you press some other keys on some remote.

I generally use a learning remote and program it to be some device that I don't own.  For example, I might program it to be a Yamaha DVD player (which I've never owned and don't plan to).  Then I teach FLIRC all the keys I want to use for MC and tell it which keyboard shortcuts to use.  I do all of this with the "Yamaha remote" that I just programmed into my universal.

It works quite well and allows you to do anything with a remote that you can do with a keyboard.  Including functions that aren't normally available via the keyboard.   This last piece is done by using MC's keyboard customization facility:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

I think I wrote a post a very long time ago that explained the keyboard mapping facility a little bit.

I've even worked out how to launch MC from the remote by using an app that launches any program you tell it to with... you guessed it:  A keyboard sequence.  I use something really unlikely like control-alt-J .  I have a program that does this on the Mac.  There's almost certainly something like that for Windows also.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Brian.

audunth

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:19:13 pm »

This is achiavable with the USB-UIRT, that I already own, too, with software like Eventghost. Still, it would take the better part of a day to set it up, as opposed to a few minutes inside MC if it's possible to add the Remote commands.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

wer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:14 pm »

Thanks Brian.  I appreciate the info and may look into that.

But really, this is something that MC should support.  People shouldn't have to go buy extra hardware to support frame by frame just because JRiver can't be bothered to add the remote commands.

When MC adds new keyboard shortcuts for playback, corresponding remote functionality should also be included, for the principle of keeping theater view on par.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:44 am »

This is achiavable with the USB-UIRT, that I already own, too, with software like Eventghost. Still, it would take the better part of a day to set it up, as opposed to a few minutes inside MC if it's possible to add the Remote commands.

I agree that it would be nice to have a more generalized way of doing Remote stuff inside MC.

However, with the FLIRC method, all of this can be done in less than 1 hour.  Assuming you know the correct keys for each function, you can do the whole remote in under 10 minutes.  If you have to look up keys, maybe this takes closer to 1 hour.

Anyway, I was just sharing my method because I had previously thought that remote support wasn't included in MC for Mac.  But now that I've looked again, I see it's there.  Though I don't know if it will work as I do not have a "Windows Media Center Remote" (and receiver), so I would need more hardware to test it.  I'm unlikely to do that, as I'm not sure it has any advantages.

Thanks,

Brian.

wer

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

Yeah, I appreciate that.  I didn't know about the FLIRC, so it's good to know.  I like how the programming is stored in the device, too.  I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks,

Will
Pages: [1]   Go Up