INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray menu not working  (Read 1833 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Bluray menu not working
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:57:15 pm »

The BluRay menu for the Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1 does not work.  MC displays a black screen.  I can stop the playback and recover, so MC does not appear to freeze. 

The UHD version plays with the full menus just fine.

Found this in the logs - not sure if related:

0007829: 2680: Playback: CBDNavDemux::BDLog: org.videolan.BDJSecurityManager:0: INFO: ("java.util.PropertyPermission" "jaxp.debug" "read") denied by system
0007875: 2680: Playback: CBDNavDemux::BDLog: org.videolan.BDJAppProxy:0: ERROR: doStart() failed: java.lang.NullPointerException
   com.lge.radius.xlet.StandardMenuXlet.a(Unknown Source)
   com.lge.radius.xlet.StandardMenuXlet.hn(Unknown Source)
   com.lge.radius.xlet.StandardMenuXlet.startXlet(Unknown Source)
   org.videolan.BDJAppProxy.doStart(BDJAppProxy.java:237)
   org.videolan.BDJAppProxy.run(BDJAppProxy.java:332)
   java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: Bluray menu not working
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:18:07 pm »

Found another title that does not work -

Star Trek Discovery - Season 2.

After playing the CBS logo/intro, nothing else plays.  Just a black screen.  MC UI is still active so MC has not crashed.

Tried deleting the java64 dir and letting MC re-download the component but same result.

-

Note that this also fails to play back full menus in VLC
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:22:59 am »

I don't have the titles causing the issue (or they are UHD versions).  You could try clearing these caches:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\bluray : "its where discs store settings like your playback position for resuming etc"
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\libbluray-bdj-cache : should not exist but if it does delete the folder

Also, does these Folder Structure have a "CERTIFICATE" folder in the root?  Earlier version of MC did not include this folder when ripping and it may be needed on some discs. 

Otherwise, Hendrik would need to look at what is up.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:38 am »

Often the reason for this is some sort of menu-based copy-protection, which is unfortunately very hard to work around.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:52:18 pm »

is it possible to compile libbluray and update MC with it independently for my own testing and general mucking around?  similar to updating components like madvr or lav on occasion to test things....

i do note that the latest version does fix menu issues with Rick and Morty Season 2, where in   MC, the menu abruptly loops vs playing the entire loop.   this causes selection of menu items to also reset, eg i select episodes, the episode list displays,  but the main menu loop resets and the episode men almost immediately closes.

i tested latest VLC which works correctly.   it is using a later version of libbluray

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:53 am »

DVD and BluRay menus are interesting.

In a way, they are their own works of art.  Back when I watched a lot of physical DVDs, I was sometimes quite impressed with the creativity the authors showed, the interesting sound loops... just all kinds of neat artistic stuff.

At the same time, I was very frequently annoyed that it took quite a while to get the menus to open, to navigate where I wanted to go, select options, etc.  Menus were "in my way."

With that in mind, I've really loved ripping DVDs and BluRays to MKV format so the menus are completely gone and never get in my way.  So part of me wonders why anyone bothers with menus at all.

But that part of me above, still remembers that these things have their own appeal.  I wonder if there's some way to have both things:  A way to access menus and another way to directly access the main movie title.  Obviously you could rip each disk twice, but that's burdensome in several ways, not the least of which is keeping track of both versions in your JRiver library.

I don't think there's any obvious answer here, but it sure would be neat to be able to use the cool artsy menus when you wanted to and also be able to bypass them and go directly to the main title.

Brian.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 05:58:40 pm »

for me, when i used to rip to mkv i stopped watching all the extras.  now that i do a full backup (because i actually do care about having a backup) i find i watch extras quite often now.

sure extras can be ripped too but that is tedious to organize.  and as you point out, i appreciate many of the menus. 

note i found another menu issue with R.E.M Out of Time 25 Anniversary bluray.   can’t select individual tracks to play and sometimes it crashes MC completely.

wonder if you could skip a lot of the warnings et al that delay getting to the main menu by replacing the various m2ts files with a 1s clip of nothing.   afterall it’s just playing back a file...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:29:36 pm »

Some background, I rip all my BD/UHD as full structures.  I have set MC in Options--> Video--> Play Blu-ray discs using Menus to "Ask".
So part of me wonders why anyone bothers with menus at all.
With BD Menus On you:
- Select the Episode you want from a TV based BD where there are multiple titles
- Select the Song you want from a Music BD
- Always get the correct subtitle
- Can select alternative endings, directors cuts, theatrical cuts etc
- See extras
- Don't have to do any post processing or make versions, extract and remux stuff.  It just works

I wonder if there's some way to have both things:  A way to access menus and another way to directly access the main movie title.  Obviously you could rip each disk twice, but that's burdensome in several ways, not the least of which is keeping track of both versions in your JRiver library.
No need to rip twice.  Just once and they can select if you want to play the rip in Title OR Menu Mode.  You can even switch between Title and Menu Mode in the OSD during playback.

+++ You can also create particles so you can have additional Library Entries for just part of a rip (eg one per Titles, TV Eps, per Song etc).....

Note: I have failed to convince Hendrik to add a "Stacks --> Advanced --> Autocreate BD/DVD Chapter Particles" to make it easier to create particles by Chapter (good for Music) but thankfully we already have "Autocreate BD/DVD Title Particles (good for TV Eps etc). 
JRiver CEO Elect

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 07:38:29 am »

I was going to rebut a few of your "menus benefits list", but I'm not sure it would be constructive.  Your points about what you are able to do *with* menus are factual.  On to more interesting things below...

No need to rip twice.  Just once and they can select if you want to play the rip in Title OR Menu Mode.  You can even switch between Title and Menu Mode in the OSD during playback.

As you may recall I have only occasionally used MC on Windows.  Most of my experience is MC for Mac and (to a lesser extent) Linux.  The Mac and Linux versions can't touch ISOs or DVD/BD structures at all.  I was not aware you could switch between menu and title modes.  What happens with discs that have 12, 25, or 99 titles?  Do you have to do hunt down (or memorize) the one that has the main movie in it?

My idea was a fully pathed shortcut to the main title somehow.  So you could easily click and get the main movie... or click something else and get the full menu experience.

+++ You can also create particles so you can have additional Library Entries for just part of a rip (eg one per Titles, TV Eps, per Song etc).....

I don't want to be too negative here, but particles have not worked out well for me.  They are very hard to manage and they do not survive moving around files. (meaning that I lose all my particles every time I move a file referenced by a particle, even when using RM&C to move the file(s).)  Unless you use a 3rd party too in order to move them, which is a bunch of effort.  I know you're pretty hot on particles and have written one or more tools to manipulate and/or generate them.  I have found the whole experience to be too much work.

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 04:57:29 am »

Hi Brian,
Sorry - mostly Windows here, and I did forget you are not a Windows guy, sorry.... though I once saw a Mac in the '80s (a cute all in one box with a 3.5" FDD - I'll never forget the positive "click" when you put in a disc - fantastic!!!)....  I have a few Unix derivatives in my environment but they are all embedded devices.  ;)  I've got some links for US$20 Windows Licences if that helps :)  On a more serious note:
- Menu Playback (only on Windows), really does work very very well.
- In Title Mode, MC/LAV intelligently pics the most likely best one.  This works perfectly for movies but not so much for disc with TV Eps etc.
- Particles are great.... but as you have noted, they are fragile and harder to use than they should be.  I guess it is one of those MC features that are 90% good but the last 10% is lower on the priority order than other stuff.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 06:07:13 am »

- Particles are great.... but as you have noted, they are fragile and harder to use than they should be.  I guess it is one of those MC features that are 90% good but the last 10% is lower on the priority order than other stuff.
Where's the list?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 02:04:58 pm »

I even kept a list on the Wiki - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles :)

Limitations
There are some outstanding limitations/bugs with Particles that are worth noting:

"Rename, Move, & Copy Files" does not work on Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75334.0
Incorrect Filename on Create Particles (sometime) - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81508.0
Sidecar Files & Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80828.0
No Subtitles or Languages with DVD Particles - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82343.0
"Right Click --> Stacks --> Advanced --> Create Particle" action is not added to the "Recent command" list Done.  I need to remove this one

The other one is a feature request:
- Create Particles based on Chapter (good for music videos) : That way I can retire the feature in Swag of Tools

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 08:25:31 pm »

particles are excellent!   especially for TV shows and where i want to take a movie with multiple versions (eg Blade Runner) and easily select any cut without having to remux into multiple mkv files each consuming a lot of disc space,

about my only issue with particles and this is probably more to do with dlna is that while dlna clients can see them, and even jremote and the web client can, they are always presented as “live”, so no chapter skips are possible, no memory of where playback left off....   i don’t think that is the fault of particles but rather MC and dlna.

the menu support is fantastic despite some dodgy titles.   i expect as libbluray matures menu support will improve.

Pages: [1]   Go Up