INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug Report: Playing .MKV or .AVI files with 3D enabled Crashes MC25  (Read 607 times)

mannery

First things first..

* MC 25.0.98 64 bit
* Nvidia GTX-960
* Nvidia Driver version 425.31
* "Enable 3D" checked in Nvidia control panel "Setup stereoscopic 3D"

This has all worked fine in the past, however I have noticed recently that if I have"Enable 3D" checked and try to play an AVI or MKV file most of the time (not all) MC25 will crash within the first few seconds of playback.

If I un-check "Enable 3D" all is fine.

I wish I could articulate exactly when this started happening and that it correlated with something specific that I had done or upgrade I had preformed, but unfortunately I can not.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

Thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug Report: Playing .MKV or .AVI files with 3D enabled Crashes MC25
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:57:09 am »

avi cannot contain frame pack 3D ... only SBS or OU (side by side or over/under)

are your mkv contain frame pack Blu-ray 3D or SBS or OU

if your 3D are SBS or OU do not enable 3D in NVidia or MadVR ... for those 3D is enabled on TV

There is condition under wich enabling 3D in NVidia control panel will crash MC (I don’t exactly recall ... if I remember correctly it involved full screen exclusive)

You should let madVR switch 3D (not infront of comp now ... so not exactly sure where that option is ... but it says something like ... enable 3D when playback start ... restore original when playback of 3D stops)

Also 3D mode for frame pack works max in 1080p23 ... that hdmi1.4a

PS ... don’t use FSE ... use D3D11 windowed mode
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

mannery

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:36:52 am »

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I realize now that I left out a very important point.

None of the avi or mkv files that cause the crash on playback are in 3D format.

They are simple good old fashion 2D content.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:39 am »

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I realize now that I left out a very important point.

None of the avi or mkv files that cause the crash on playback are in 3D format.

They are simple good old fashion 2D content.
ahhh ... got it

i recall this problem ... if 3D setting is left on then 2D video crashed MC (in those days Windows driver had bug that prevented it to toggle 3D setting of Nvidia) ... not sure what caused crashed MC or MadVR ... that bug was fixed (Windows driver abke to toggle Nvidia 3D)

why you manyally switch on 3D setting in Nvidia ... 3D setting in Nvidia and Windows should be off ... let madVR turn it on and off when needed

in MC ... options -> video -> Open MadVR Settings (remember that MC uses its own copy of MadVR ... so must access it through MC)

in MadVR ... rendering -> stereo 3D

enable stereo 3D playback (tick)

when plaing 2d content (tick) ... disable os stereo 3d support (tick)
when playing 3d content (tick) ... enable (tick)

restore os stereo 3d settings (tick)

These settings in MadVR guarantee that 2D video is never playbacked with 3D setting on ... and restores your 3D setting after video finish playing (in case you use it for gaming)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up