INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surround Channels Output Low In Recent Builds Using 4 Channel Output  (Read 1074 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen

I noticed this recently in MC25, not sure at which version it appeared. Best I can tell both rear channels are 10-20 db down.

Setup: Using on-board Realtek in a newer Intel ITX mobo, configured for 4 channel output.

Confirmed this is in versions 98 and 101. I installed version 27 since I already had it, and output is proper in that version. It can be visually confirmed playing the attached surround test file.

I just remembered I am boosting the preamp in EQ by 10 db, maybe the rear channels aren't getting the boost? I seem to recall another thread about the preamp boost not working properly.

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Surround Channels Output Low In Recent Builds Using 4 Channel Output
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:08:23 pm »

Bump.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:20 am »

Search the Release Notes for "equalizer".

The old EQ was replaced, so you would have lost your 10 dB boost. Add it back.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Manfred

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »

I hope would only be an issue if using Microsft DirectSound, or not running audio in Exclusive Mode, using WASAPI or ASIO, as then Windows would be doing the rendering. But I'm not sure of that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:26:36 pm »

Search the Release Notes for "equalizer".

The old EQ was replaced, so you would have lost your 10 dB boost. Add it back.

Thanks..... didn't know exactly what you meant, but I replaced the eq preamp boost with the four channels with volume increase using peq, and all is well.

Seems to be a MS problem?:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-10-latest-update-to-patch-issues-is-causing-problems-with-multi-channel-sound-in-games.html

MS was the indirect culprit in my case, since the USB Audio 2.0 drivers went bye-bye in 1903 for my Behringer UMC404, forcing the switch to Realtek on-board to get 4 channel output. It seems like audio lovers are the first to suffer when MS updates go awry.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:20:42 pm »

I think the pre-amp is only working on the front two channels right now.  Fixing it for the next build.

Thanks for the help!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 03:19:00 pm »

I actually retooled the preamp and equalizer today to work on all channels.  That way it works on things like 32-channel playback.  This is instead of just using a list of defined channels we'll support.

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up