INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Import doesn't always download images  (Read 1523 times)

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
Movie Import doesn't always download images
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »

Hi all.
I've noticed that some times upon import, JRiver doesn't download the image for the film.
However if I manually select the film and select "get Movie & TV Info" it will bring up the correct film and I can import the image.
Even if I select multiple films and run "get Movie & TV Info", with Get Information, Get image and Allow overwrite of existing values all being ticked, it will still grab the right info/image for the movie.

Have I missed a setting somewhere why it doesn't do this on auto-import?

Cheers :-)

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Movie Import doesn't always download images
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:57:50 am »

Have added a logfile, it happened yesterday with Spiderman, but didn't manually get movie & tv art... and started logging this morning just before it imported hobbs & shaw.
Same thing happened, didn't download cover art, just auto generated thumbnail.

However I selected both films and did a manual get info and it updated them with the correct art.

any thoughts?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:15:33 am »

If MC can unambiguously identify a movie from the metadata it has, which may come from the file name on import, through the CARNAC functionality, then it will find and download the correct movie poster, if it is available.

If MC can unambiguously identify a movie from the metadata it has, but there is no poster art, then it doesn't download a poster.

If there are multiple hits for the available metadata, MC will select the first hit and download the poster for that. This pretty commonly gets the wrong poster for remakes of 1950s films.

If MC can't find a good match as the metadata is good, or there are just bad matches, then it won't download a poster for the movie. I think Spiderman falls into this category, as there are just too many Spiderman films and other media that match the name "Spiderman", or "Spider-man" for that matter.

The above is based on my observations, not knowledge of the code.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:52:14 pm »

I just assumed that upon import, it would go through the same process that it does on the "get tv & film" bit?
Does it not do that then?

Would it be possible for maybe a selectable option to run all new tv and or film imports through the process?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:32:08 pm »

You can run the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function as part of Auto Import. It is in the Auto Import configuration under Tasks.

I was actually talking about how the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function works in my previous post.

The difference in results is because:
If you are running the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function for one item manually, you get more choices. You can select the correct movie from the list of results displayed.
If you are running the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function for multiple items, or as part of the Auto Import process, you get the results as I described.

Bottom line; MC isn't an AI, so when the results of a search are ambiguous, it just does its best. When it can't find a poster, or gets the incorrect one, you need to run a manual "Get Movie & TV Info..." and select the correct result.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:27:07 am »

I do have "Get Movie & TV Info" ticked in the auto-import tasks.

The bit that is puzzling me, why does it not find the movie poster when it is importing the film in to JRiver initially (and get movie & tv info is ticked), yet when I manually run it, either on a single entry or multiple entries... it finds the poster.

When I select multiple entries to get movie & tv info, it does, as you say, pick what it thinks is best.
So why, when importing, does it not show me the movie poster and instead it replaces it with a thumbnail grabbed x seconds/minutes in to the movie file, if it's using the same process?

Apologies if I'm going round in circles... I just don't understand why it doesn't work upon auto-import.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:51:16 am »

I don't have Spider-Man or Hobbs & Shaw, and while maybe not all that helpful, also have to say that auto-import has never failed me in image retrieval save a handful of times over the years where it has gotten the image from the wrong year.

How are your movie file names? I wonder if there's something in there confusing MC's CARNAC?

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 05:19:12 am »

File names are
Spider-Man Far from Home (2019) Bluray-720p.mkv
and
Fast & Furious Presents Hobbs & Shaw (2019) WEBDL-720p.avi

It is still the fact of why does the procedure fail the first time... but then the same procedure works the second time.... I'd understand if it didn't work on the manual clicking of the get film & tv... but it does... so why doesn't it do it the first time round, when it's doing exactly the same thing?

Appreciate everyone's input so far... i'm just baffled!

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 05:27:20 am »

As another example.
These 2 films imported overnight.

No poster or anything, just a screen grab.
Yet when I manually select them both and do import, it produces the poster.

It's almost like it's not even trying to import the poster/etc upon auto-import, although it is selected for both films and TV in auto import settings.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:42:53 am »

Last thoughts... If you select one, and do a "Get Movie/TV Info" on it, is "Use Image" ticked, or are you having to tick it first?

The options are persistant, and, IIRC, used by auto-import. If you're having to apply the tick, try that, "Use Data", then try again to check that the option is now remembered...

Finally, in your auto-import options for that folder... I've just checked mine, and I have "Get cover art" unchecked, and "Get Movie & TV Info" checked. Not sure, it's been years since I looked at my import settings, but it has to be that way for a reason... Is yours set the same?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 06:15:55 pm »

I have both "Get cover art" unchecked, and "Get Movie & TV Info" checked in Auto Import for movies. That won't be causing an issue. The persistence of the "Use image" setting could be though.

I did a lookup for those last two movies, and they seem to be found fine, so I guess my first guess at an explanation isn't correct in this case.

If it doesn't happen to all movies, and if the file naming is always similar to what you have shared, I suspect it is just TMDB isn't responding quick enough for Auto Import, or something similar.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 02:02:43 pm »

Hi all,
Just wanted to update.
Marko - my settings are the same as yours.
RoderickGI - It's now happening on every film, and has been for the last couple of updates.
Happy to provide another log if it would help?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 04:43:22 pm »

Provide a log then. Just of one movie import that fails, so it is small and easy to read.

In fact, look at the log before you post it. There may be a hint in there that you can see.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 01:50:46 am »

I copied a film in to the film location so JR could pick it up and started the logging.
I've had a look through the log, but tbh I don't know what I'm looking for. I couldn't see anything that failed - but not sure if there should be something "extra" there that isn't, which is the process where it grabs the image.

The *other* software when it processes, puts the film in the folder and grabs a fanart.jpg and a poster.jpg, but obviously JR calls it <filmname>.jpg - so it isn't even like it thinks it's already downloaded (afaik?!)

I've also then cleaned the log and started again and just run through a "grab film & tv" to download the image and saved the log from that.
JRiver Log 2019-11-15 07-37-38 - Is JR picking the film up, adding to d/b
JRiver Log 2019-11-15 07-40-55 - Is the manual "get film & tv" process

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:00:52 pm »

It looks like you tried to import the film "Gemini Man (2019)".

It also looks like MC tried to look the program up in TheTVDB, rather than TheMovieDB, but I can't verify that as TheTVDB seems to be off-air completely at the moment.

So, check the tags in any original movie file to see if it is tagged as a Movie anywhere, or as something else. Sometimes it is tagged in Keywords of the original files. Sometimes MC makes a guess it is a movie based on a length over 60 minutes. It could be that MC used a tag in the original file during the original import, but then reassessed the file as a movie when you ran the "Get Movie & TV Info" function. I can't tell from the logs.

The other possibility with this specific movie is that there are two programs called "Gemini Man" on TheMovieDB. One is a TV Series, the other the movie. It could be that MC couldn't decide which program it was, so didn't guess and return the incorrect data. But I can't see evidence of that in the log, or any call to TheMovieDB in the first log. But it can take a while for Auto Import to initiate the "Get Movie & TV Info" function, so maybe you stopped logging before it initiated that stage of the process.

As it is happening to all movies now, you could try turning off the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import, restarting MC and turning it back on again. Perhaps the setting is stuck and not working. I haven't investigated the issue properly, because it is rare, but I do see a delay, and occasional failures to find movie posters, but it isn't common and is usually related to the metadata MC has, if I ever look into it.

Also, check that you aren't tagging file imported from the location you are using as TV Shows. Basically check all your Auto Import settings.

Another thought.
Get two brand new movie files, never imported into MC.
Turn off the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import.
Import the two files.
Select both files in MC and right-click to the "Get Movie & TV Info" function.
Check that "Get information" and "Get image' actions are both ticked, and also the "Allow overwrite of existing values".
Run Auto Import. Check both Library records were updated correctly.

Turn on the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import.
Get another new movie file and import it.
Check if the information and poster image are collected.

The above process should set the settings to be used for the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import. i.e. Auto Import uses the settings configured by bulk (multiple files) imports. See if it makes a difference.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 01:04:52 am »

Another thought.
Get two brand new movie files, never imported into MC.
Turn off the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import.
Import the two files.
Select both files in MC and right-click to the "Get Movie & TV Info" function.
Check that "Get information" and "Get image' actions are both ticked, and also the "Allow overwrite of existing values".
Run Auto Import. Check both Library records were updated correctly.

Re-checked, but they were set as expected.

Chose Honey I shrunk the kids & honey I blew up the kid for this process, and the get movie & tv function worked as expected

Turn on the "Get Movie & TV Info" function in Auto Import.
Get another new movie file and import it.
Check if the information and poster image are collected.

I chose Honey we shrunk ourselves, it imported, but no poster image again.

Have included screengrabs of configs and another log.
I'm sure my auto-import settings are ok as it is set by Media Sub Type, which is why it puts it in the correct "place" within JRiver.

I've left films for days to see if it will grab the poster image at a later date, but never seems to do so...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 01:42:28 am »

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with all that.

I had a look at your earlier log file, but I can't tell if the lookups done in that are manual or initiated by Auto Import. There is a lot of thumbnailing activity for those first two movies though. More than I would have expected.

These movies haven't been imported before, then deleted, have they?
They are all fresh files MC has never seen before?
There aren't any Sidecar*.xml files that match the movie name in the folder you put them in, are there?
How about any matching Cover Art image files?

I'll have to collect some movie files are see if the same problem occurs for me at any stage. Otherwise, I can't see any cause for the issue in the logs.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 12:58:44 am »

Hiya,
Yes, these are all brand new movie imports that MC has never seen before.
No Sidecar files.
The software that moves the files would have had a poster.jpg and a fanart, but not a <filename>.jpg/png/etc

As an example
Code: [Select]
Directory of Z:\Films\Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

20/11/2019  15:47    <DIR>          .
20/11/2019  15:47    <DIR>          ..
08/11/2019  18:31         1,339,980 fanart.jpg
20/11/2019  15:40     3,987,137,176 Once Upon a Time. in Hollywood (2019) WEBDL-720p.mkv
20/11/2019  15:47             1,432 Once Upon a Time. in Hollywood (2019) WEBDL-720p.nfo
22/07/2019  06:28         1,636,080 poster.jpg

That is after MC has imported it, but the auto-import has not  downloaded a poster for it.
There were a couple of other films, never previously imported that have done the same as well.

But after selecting the 3 and running get movie & tv....

Code: [Select]
Directory of Z:\Films\Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

22/11/2019  06:54    <DIR>          .
20/11/2019  15:47    <DIR>          ..
08/11/2019  18:31         1,339,980 fanart.jpg
22/11/2019  06:56         1,636,080 Once Upon a Time. in Hollywood (2019) WEBDL-720p.jpg
20/11/2019  15:40     3,987,137,176 Once Upon a Time. in Hollywood (2019) WEBDL-720p.mkv
20/11/2019  15:47             1,432 Once Upon a Time. in Hollywood (2019) WEBDL-720p.nfo
22/07/2019  06:28         1,636,080 poster.jpg

I'm still baffled :-(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 05:56:44 am »

I'm pretty much stumped as well.

It could be that the existence of the poster.jpg and fanart.jpg files is causing some issue I guess. You could try importing some movies without those image in their directories. But that shouldn't be the issue.

I have imported a few movies since my last post, and as usual the only time a movie didn't get an image on import was when the identity of the movie was ambiguous, so MC couldn't pick the correct movie. This could be the case with the example above, because the actual movie name is "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood". But I don't know that.

Sorry. This is a strange issue. I can't offer a solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up