INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert Format - Can file tags be used to create the destination folder  (Read 718 times)

GaryG45

• Recent member

I want to convert some of my FLAC albums to MP3, in order to have MP3 copies for portable usage.  I'd like the destination folder to have the format: MP3\[artist]\[album]\.  I know I can do this by specifying/typing the artist and album, which means I'd have to convert each album separately.  If the tags from the source files can be used to create the output folder, I would be able to select multiple albums by multiple artists for the conversion.  I've tried MP3\[artist]\[album]\ and the conversion creates folders [artist] and [album].  Hopefully there is an option or something that I'm overlooking.  I know that dBpoweramp can perform these conversions, but I'd prefer to use MC, if possible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Convert Format - Can file tags be used to create the destination folder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:12:21 pm »

Have you been here?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convert_Format

There is a link there for conversion options.

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 08:02:47 pm »

Yes.  I read it prior to doing the conversion.  I also read the Converter Settings page  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Converter_Settings

In the table the row for "Move to Location" mentions that "You can also create Artist/Album subdirectories in the chosen location".  It doesn't state if I have to create them or if there is another way to create them using tags or library information.  Hopefully I've missed something and there is a way to create them without me creating them prior to the conversion.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:06:30 pm »

Did you run some tests?

The Convert Format doesn't use Expressions in the "Audio Conversion Options > Convert to this folder" setting. Perhaps it should.

The only control you have is to set the base destination folder using the "Convert to this folder" setting, and then set number of levels of the existing folder structure you want to use, starting from the lowest level. MC will then use those settings to build a new location.

i.e.
If the "Convert to this folder" setting is set to "F:\MP3", and the existing file is "F:\Music\[Artist]\[Album\[Filename]", then set "And create levels of folder structure" ticked on and set to 2, then the file created will be;

F:\MP3\[Artist]\[Album\[Filename]

But with a new file extension of course.

The "And create levels of folder structure" setting can be anything from zero up, but once the available number of folder levels have been fully used, nothing else will be added.

i.e.
If the "And create levels of folder structure" setting is set to 3 or above in the example, then the file created will be;

F:\MP3\Music\[Artist]\[Album\[Filename]

If you are completely changing the folder structure for the conversions, just use the above to put the new files in a unique location, and then use the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function to move them to where you want them. Just make sure you have the converted files set to be imported into MC so that you can use the RM&CF function. If that is a real problem, don't import the files, use the "Navigation Pane > Drives & Devices > Explorer" function to find the new files, and then move them using the RM&CF function.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

GaryG45

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 08:55:41 am »

Yes, I ran tests specifying M:\MP3\ , M:\MP3\[artist]\[album]\, and I thought with the 'And create levels ..." box ticked.  I must have double mouse clicked when I ticked the box because this morning I found the box unticked.  Probably too focused on the results.  Today when running a test with the box ticked, it worked as desired.

RoderickGI thanks for all of your help.  You've come thru again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up