INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Limits  (Read 2384 times)

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
WDM Limits
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:15:50 pm »

The JRiver wdm driver only seems to accept 16 bit throughput, this is a big problem for people wishing to listen to 24 bit hires files from providers such as Amazon HD. Perhaps an upgrade to WDM is required?
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: WDM Limits
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:24:29 pm »

The WDM driver works for Audio,

But it doesn't pass anything beyond 16 bit, how will this affect people who want to use a 24 bit supplier?
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:39:45 pm »

Yes, it does.

Play this track using your browser, with the WDM set as the default audio device in Windows. Then check the Audio Path in MC, and it will show an input of 176.4 kHz 24bit 2ch, as per that attached image. The output, of course, will be as per your MC settings, which in my case is just 48 kHz 32bit 2ch on my Workstation.

I played this track in Chrome on Windows 10, output to the WDM as the default audio driver, running MC25.0.102.

Based on past posts, the WDM will process whatever audio is sent to it. Find some Hi Res samples and test its limits. I think you will find it supports at least up to 192 kHz 24 bit and 8 (7.1) channels.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry, I forgot to add a link to that track I used. Just search for a Hi Res track that is streamed. Although any site like Youtube will probably downmix the track, so find a better site. Or just use the method I used in this older thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111498.msg771462.html#msg771462
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 11:34:47 pm »

BTW, I was playing from Chrome, and therefore was in Shared Mode for audio. That means that Windows checked what the WDM wanted to play in Shared Mode and re-mixed to that format, then sent the audio to the WDM, which passed it on to MC. I had the WDM set to 176.4 kHz 24bit 2ch, so that is what the WDM received and MC played.

I just reset the WDM to 192 kHz 24bit 2ch, and now that is what the WDM receives and MC plays.

I need to dig out an audio player that outputs in Exclusive Mode, then collect some better audio samples, to see what the WDM can really do. You may want to try that as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 01:52:53 am »

The WDM driver supports both 16 and 24-bit. In WASAPI Exclusive mode, it should accept either just out of the box. In Shared mode, it'll output whatever its configured to output - basically check the Windows audio control panel.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 02:00:11 am »

Only up to 192 kHz by the look though, Hendrik. Unless the WDM is looking at my MC Audio Device, which is restricted to 192 kHz. But I doubt that as the "Supported Formats" tab only lists up to 192 kHz.

Also, up to 8 (7.1) channels, though I haven't tested that, or needed to.

Maybe the "Supported Formats" tab for it should be updated to include 24 bit, as it just says 16 bit at the moment.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 02:03:21 am »

Windows generates that from whatever, its not like I directly tell it what to put there.

Interestingly if you go to the "Advanced" tab in that dialog, where you can pick the shared format, it'll happily list 24-bit there, so it clearly knows that 24-bit is supported, so no idea what Windows is doing.

And yes, its limited to 192 kHz, mostly because the Windows mixer really gets unhappy at higher rates, and to 8 channel, because anything above that has no common channel layouts and once again confuses Windows.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up