INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can JRiver work as a 5.1 concert video jukebox from DVD files? Anyone?? : -)  (Read 968 times)

PDXSurround

I'm thinking someone on this board knows the answer to this question.  If you do, please let me know.  Thanks!!!!!

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe

I believe DVDs are not supported but I could be wrong. If you search the forum for “DVD” you might find your answer
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

PDXSurround

Thank you for the response, HaWi!   I'm hoping to find software to rip the chapters on my DVDs and BluRays into individual files that JRiver might be able to process in full 5.1, lossless.  Wondering if it's a pipe dream...  Will check the DVD forum.  If anyone else has info, I would really appreciate it.

PDXSurround

I have found some software that I believe will allow me to rip my DVD content into individual video chapters in 5.1 - but, if I was successful in doing that - I'm still wondering if JRiver could play 5.1 video files through my DAC and home theater with a playlist function, etc.   What type of files should I try to create if it's possible? THANK YOU!!!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

You really should have asked your follow up questions in the original thread you created. You can find your earlier threads and posts by selecting the "Profile" menu option in the forum above, and then selecting "Show Posts".

CORRECTION: The following mostly only applies to the Windows version of MC, not the Mac version. Sorry for the misdirection.

Yes. MC can do what you want.

Ripping DVD/Blu-rays to individual chapter files and retaining the 5.1 audio can present some issues. MC can rip DVDs, but can't decrypt Blu-rays, so you will need third party software for that, such as DVDfab or AnyDVD HD. MC can rip Blu-rays if such software is doing the decryption for it. MC can create "Particles" which allow you to play components of one file separately. Read the Wiki article: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles  Also have a look at Swag of Tools for some tools to enhance MC's capabilities.

But once you have individual chapter files, or set up Particles to play the individual chapters, MC can play them, and you can play them individually, or add them to a Playlist for playback.

About the only constraint you will find is if you want to split chapters into individual files, and you want to use MC to do that. The Conversion tool in MC that can be used to split chapters out only produces stereo files. But there may be ways around that, either by using other tools, or other methods. Again, read the Wiki and the Swag of Tools thread.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

Ripping DVD/Blu-rays to individual chapter files and retaining the 5.1 audio can present some issues. MC can rip DVDs, but can't decrypt Blu-rays, so you will need third party software for that, such as DVDfab or AnyDVD HD. MC can rip Blu-rays if such software is doing the decryption for it. MC can create "Particles" which allow you to play components of one file separately. Read the Wiki article: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles  Also have a look at Swag of Tools for some tools to enhance MC's capabilities.

Roderick may have missed that this question is on the Mac forum.  Unfortunately, that means that everything above is incorrect.  MC can not rip or even play DVDs on Mac.  Nor do any of the listed tools work on Mac.

However, you can always use MakeMKV to rip DVDs and BluRays.  It does a fantastic job.  However, MakeMKV produces single files per title, which normally means that you'll have one big file per album or concert.

There's another related tool called MKVToolNix that can split MKVs into chapters, or split them at arbitrary time codes.  I've used these tools together to rip and split concert DVDs into individual files and then import them into MC.  I then had to manually label each file with the song name.

I've only done this for a few DVDs because it is a LOT of work!  For me it's way more work than it's worth so I've stopped doing it.  It might be worth the time for you.

Once those individual files are in MC, they can definitely be played however you want.  All of my DVD rips have retained their full audio tracks.  MakeMVK lets you select which Audio tracks you want to keep and which you do not want.  So 5.1 is no problem.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

blgentry

I have found some software that I believe will allow me to rip my DVD content into individual video chapters in 5.1 - but, if I was successful in doing that - I'm still wondering if JRiver could play 5.1 video files through my DAC and home theater with a playlist function, etc.   What type of files should I try to create if it's possible? THANK YOU!!!

I guess I missed this part.  If you already have the ripping and chapter splitting solved, you should be good to go.

For file type, I like to keep the original format as much as possible.  You can transcode to another video format and/or audio format, but you lose something every time you convert.  I like to stick with the original so I never wonder about that.

For me that means MKVs.  They can hold the original audio and video formats.  MC can play any audio or video format that comes on DVD or BD.  As long as your ripping software decrypts it.  That's an important point.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Roderick may have missed that this question is on the Mac forum.  Unfortunately, that means that everything above is incorrect.  MC can not rip or even play DVDs on Mac.  Nor do any of the listed tools work on Mac.

Oh. Oops. Original post edited to reflect that error.

Maybe it is time for functionality parity, something I know you would like to see Brian.

It looks like you have the issue covered though.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up