INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everytime i start JR MC 25 it's like it's reinstalling  (Read 1132 times)

wwvierg

Everytime i start JR MC 25 it's like it's reinstalling
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:55:03 pm »

It literally does some extraction, then it asks permission to write to my hard disk (i'm running Windows 10), then it goes through an install, then it scans my audio files, then drops me at the Welcome screen. Granted, i don't run it daily ... so is this some auto-updating feature? Thanks in advance.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Everytime i start JR MC 25 it's like it's reinstalling
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:53 pm »

most likely you are reinstalling it over and over. delete the install package and find the correct icon to start JRiver MC  its that simple.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:39 pm »

Or you have Automatic Update turned on, if you are seeing this and only run it occasionally.

MC does have lots of updates!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wwvierg

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 02:17:55 pm »

most likely you are reinstalling it over and over. delete the install package and find the correct icon to start JRiver MC  its that simple.

10-4; thanks... pretty sure that is it, b/c, of course, just opening it right now, didn't get any of the install stuff. 25.0.98 (64-bit), BTW  :-)

thanks again for both your replies.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:39:17 pm »

You probably have two versions of MC on your PC (say v24 and v25). If you run a different version after another version has previously run, then whichever version of MC is currently being run, will try to reinstall its settings over the previously run version.

Typical example could be that you have MC v24 set to start when Windows starts, and are then manually starting MC v25 via a taskbar or desktop icon.

Solution is to 1) go into settings of the older version and disable start when Windows starts, 2) clean up your desktop icons and start menu to only point t9 the latest version, and 3) probably uninstall the older version entirely.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 05:27:31 pm »

You probably have two versions of MC on your PC (say v24 and v25). If you run a different version after another version has previously run, then whichever version of MC is currently being run, will try to reinstall its settings over the previously run version.
Different versions won't change each other's settings.

They might run Media Server though, depending on settings.

They also can change file associations.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 07:41:33 pm »

... and registration of DirectShow filters that use the same, non-version-specific names in all major versions. Including madVR and LAV filters. Plus possibly COM objects, but I'm not sure about that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »

Different versions won't change each other's settings.

They might run Media Server though, depending on settings.

They also can change file associations.

No Jim, they won’t change each other’s settings. But every time you run one version after another version has previously run, it will enter a Windows UAP escalation process asking you to give it permission to re-update it’s own settings into the “current” settings. That is the reason why the OP thinks it looks like MC is reinstalling itself..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up