INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Standard ID3 Fields (affects e.g. MusicBrainz)  (Read 1426 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Missing Standard ID3 Fields (affects e.g. MusicBrainz)
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:49:48 pm »

I noticed that JRiver does not support some of the standard 1D3 V2.3 fields, some of which are heavily used by MusicBrainz, especially:
- TORY: Original Release Year (FLAC Tag: ORIGINALYEAR
- TMED: Release Medium (FLAC-Tag: MEDIA)
- TSRC: ISRC (International Standard Recording Code)
- TSO2: Album Artist Sort Order (Strangely, this is translated in the Tag dump, so JRiver must have some access I believe?) (FLAC: ALBUMARTISTSORT)
- TSOP: Artist Sort (Same comment as in TSO2) (FLAC: ARTISTSORT)

Unfortunately, I cannot add these tags myself, as JRiver only allows users to add TXXX fields. Musicbrainz is an excellent source for good metadata, especially if you want to differentiate the release date and original release date, or get curated sort order data.

Additionally, there are a number of custom musicbrainz fields that are non-standard. Examples include The Album Type (Album, Compilation, Soundtrack..), Release Country, etc. These fields I could add manally, since they are written to the TXXX tags, however then there would be no match between the Mp3 and Flac Tags. I could help myself with some Tag magic, but seeing the role of musicbrainz as a tag source, I would like to put forward the idea of supporting musicbrainz tags in jriver in general.

Adding support for these fields, at least for the standard tags (for which I cannot build a solution myself) would be a matter close to my heart. I'll happily research matching fields for other file types and offer myself to compile a complete list of fields in a google doc or something.

Edit: I requested something similar for the INITIALKEY field here:https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100632.msg697875.html#msg697875 (solved very quickly, thanks again). That is a way I could provide files again for example.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Missing Standard ID3 Fields (affects e.g. MusicBrainz)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:24:12 pm »

You should be able to add any tag in JRiver.  It must be identical in name, including case.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 01:43:55 pm »

I tried adding TORY, but I onlygot TXXX (TORY) in the Tag dump. Maybe I did something wrong? Even then, the mapping between the mp3 and the corresponding tags of other File types would not work. JRiver has an internal mapping mechanism (As I learned from linked post above), but that requires developer intervention, I believe.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:57 pm »

- TSO2: Album Artist Sort Order (Strangely, this is translated in the Tag dump, so JRiver must have some access I believe?) (FLAC: ALBUMARTISTSORT)
- TSOP: Artist Sort (Same comment as in TSO2) (FLAC: ARTISTSORT)

We load these from ID3 as "Album Artist Sort" and "Artist Sort", but we do not have built-in fields for them.  If you create "Album Artist Sort" and "Artist Sort" custom fields, they should be populated.  I do need to add them to FLAC and maybe other file types.

I will add support for the other three, "TORY", "TMED", and "TSRC" in the same fashion.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:42:08 pm »

The other three, "TORY", "TMED", and "TSRC" can be added in the same fashion.
Thank you for the reply! Could you please elaborate on how to add TORY, because as I wrote above: I tried and failed, creating only a TXXX (TORY) custom field.

Can I be of assistance regarding the standard fields in other file types? Again, I'd offer to create sample files with music brains or whatever best fits your workflow.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »

Thank you for the reply! Could you please elaborate on how to add TORY, because as I wrote above: I tried and failed, creating only a TXXX (TORY) custom field.

Can I be of assistance regarding the standard fields in other file types? Again, I'd offer to create sample files with music brains or whatever best fits your workflow.

Sorry I did not make it clear.

I meant I can add the support for the other three tags in the same fashion.  So it is not possible in current version of MC.  I will add them in a future version.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 04:04:57 am »

Ahh, my apologies for the misunderstanding. Thanks a lot for adding support for the tags, it means a lot to me!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 03:23:23 pm »

What is the FLAC equivalence of TSRC, if there is one?

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 12:12:37 pm »

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up