INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISO files no longer imported  (Read 1810 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
ISO files no longer imported
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:25:25 pm »

I am frequently making ISO backup copies of video DVDs, and store them all in one dedicated folder which is configured in MC to auto-import all available file types ('Audio, Video, Other', excepting 'Playlists').
All ISOs were created using the same tool, "IMGburn", so should all have the same compatible format...

Since February however, MC just stopped importing any new ISO files... What could be wrong?
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ISO files no longer imported
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:27:48 pm »

Double check your auto-import settings.   I believe ISO files are data files when imported.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:15:58 pm »

Double check your auto-import settings.   I believe ISO files are data files when imported.

Have checked settings many times... all correct as stated above: The path is pointing to the right folder, and all file types are selected (not Playlists, which I don't think MC will mistake for ISO...;-)

To provide some more details that might help:
  • The folder containing my ISOs is only one sub-folder of a parent location that is set for auto-import in MC; the option 'Include this and all sub-folders' is enabled, and other sub-folders are imported correctly.
  • Some tagging is in place to assign files to my existing view schemes, in this case: "Genre=DVD" and "Name=FileName(,0)". Similar tagging is used for all other import folders and always works fine!

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »

Try searching for them in MC.  They may be under Data.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 06:28:33 pm »

Try searching for them in MC.  They may be under Data.

Well, the ISO files imported so far (32 of a total 70+ in the folder) are tagged as 'Video' / 'Movie' (for media type/ sub type, respectively)... As these were tagged automatically, I can't think why MC would tag the same file type as 'Data'...?

So where to look? I have a view for managing my full library, called 'Index' under the 'Video' branch (with '...parent scheme rules...' disabled to allow displaying all file types, which it does)... This is where the other 32 ISOs are listed, the latest import dating February 2019...

In the same view, I have tried searching (in 'Wizard') for files that contain the string '.iso', but all I ever get are the same 32 files... Whatever happened to the rest?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 06:39:00 pm »

In these situations I use the "Drive & Devices > Explorer" function in the left Navigation Bar, and drill down to where the files are, select the problem files, and then check and fix the [Media Type] and [Media Sub Type].

I initially just display the files imported into the Library and show subfolders (check boxes at top), so that I know the files are imported. If I can't find them with those settings, I show all files to confirm that files are there, and check their tags.

I can usually fix an issue pretty quickly.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:42:33 pm »

ISO is a container.  It might contain audio, video, or anything else. 

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 07:28:48 pm »

... use the "Drive & Devices > Explorer" function (...), select the problem files, and then check and fix (...) their tags.

Thank you, this hint worked out nicely! (No auto tagging as per my import rules though, all to be done by hand)...

Funny why MC's auto import skipped all those files? And funnier: after importing, the 'Details' window said "Some changed files were updated" listing both old and just imported files -- it did not say which properties this affected...

Anyway, a handy feature I had never used before, thanks for sharing your expertise! ;-)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 07:43:14 pm »

ISO is a container.  It might contain audio, video, or anything else.

Most of my ISOs are direct DVD copies, and were tagged correctly as [Video] / [Movie], except for one that was [Data]... However, 'Data' support was never enabled in 'Options > General > Features'... was that required to import ISOs?

Desertpilot

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 10:34:11 am »

Thank you for this thread.  I had one .iso file that simply would not import.  I used this method (Drives & Devices, navigated to the problem .iso file, dropped down to the Action Window and selected TAG).  The file was listed as DATA in the media type.  I switched it to Movie and sub type Music Video (a symphony orchestra 4K blu ray).  Boom!  The file now shows in my library.

Thanks again!
Marcus

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 12:43:54 pm »

... The file was listed as DATA in the media type.

Have you enabled 'Data' support in Options > General > Features? If not this might explain why media containing data are not imported... assuming that MC only imports a file when support for its media type is enabled, otherwise skips the file...
It would not explain however why MC fails to import ISOs of the 'Video/Movie' type for which support in Options is enabled...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 05:18:33 pm »

As far as I know, MC will import the file types that are defined in Auto Import. But if it is Data and that Feature is off, you won't be able to see it in any View.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 05:28:14 pm »

Just tested to see if ISOs (of DVD videos) import properly when the 'Data support' feature is enabled (usually disabled with me), but no success... There must be something else going wrong...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 06:31:11 pm »

An ISO isn't by definition a video file.  It's like a disk.  It can contain anything.  If MC can't identify it as a video file, it puts it in the Data category.  You can edit the Media Type.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 06:46:27 pm »

Right, and I wouldn't mind doing that (although media type doesn't really matter for me)... all provided that ISO files were imported in the first place, that's the problem...
Pages: [1]   Go Up