INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media center and PocketPC download problem  (Read 920 times)

rjcrum

• Recent member
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Media center and PocketPC download problem
« on: May 07, 2003, 12:47:35 pm »

Hi,

I'm at the tail end of the '30-day' evaluation period, and just installed the 'released' version .169 a couple of days ago.    I still have a few problems that I'd like comments/help on before I mash the "BUY" button:

Background:  I'm ripping on one PC, and storing all MP3s through a network file share to another computer (my "Media PC") on my network.  I have Meda Center Server running on the "Media PC" and everything seems to be working fine.

1.  I tried last night to transfer files to my iPaq Pocket PC.  I selected a playlist, dragged it to the PocketPC, and when I mashed the "upload files" button I got an error for each file which was something like "Cannot locate file N:\My Documents\My Music\Blah\Blah.mp3. Invalid filename or location" ( or something like that).  It was as if for purposes of TRANSFERRING to the PocketPC, it didn't like the files on another computer.  I tried playing a playlist on the PC, and it worked just fine.  Am I missing something?  Can I not transfer files to a PocketPC by using Media Server running on a networked music-serving machine?

2.   I am a TiVo owner, and am contemplating purchasing the HMO for my Tivo.  However, I'd like to see the interaction between MediaCenter as a server to Tivo before I buy.  The big question is.....just what do I actually see on the Tivo screen when I used Media Center server supporting HMO?  I know with the TiVo Publisher, I "publish" the root of my music and photo files, and then the TiVo just blindly follows those folder paths.  That is too simplistic for me, and I like the idea of being able to use the SmartLists from media center to generate playlists by genre, artist, etc.  So....if I serve using Media Center server, do I see:

a. The Now Showing screen of TiVo with "Music and Photos" now on it, courtesy of the HMO (I assume)
b.  Clicking on that, do I then see three folders:
  - Audio
  - Images
  - Playlists
(from the main navigation of Media Center...those things that would be supported by HMO)
c.  Clicking on Audio, would I *then* get a display of the various "View Schemes" that I have defined?  As in "Genre/Artist" or "Artist/Album"?  And selecting any one of those View Schemes would eventually navigate me to having a list of files to play?
d.  Clicking on "Playlists", do I then see all of the playlists and autosmarlists that I have defined?  And...clicking on the name of an autosmartlist, I then see the list of files to be played?

Sorry for the detailed question, but the reason I *think* I want MC9 Server rather than TiVo Publisher is that it will give me more flexibility in accessing the music, but (for the benefit of my family) it MUST, and I mean MUST be as easy to use and intuitive as the general TiVo interface.  The MC9 interface would cause my wife to run screaming from the room.

Thanks for your help and/or comments!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media center and PocketPC download problem
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 01:13:10 pm »

Maybe someone else can answer the Ipaq question.

On the TiVo screen, you will see:

Bob's music on machinename
Bob's photos on machinename

When you choose either of these, you see your library organized the way you have it in MC.  For Music you would see two "folders" that say:

Media Library
Playlists

Inside Playlists you would see all your playlists, including smartlists.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 01:53:07 pm »

rjcrum,

In regards to the PocketPC question, I covered it in the other thread, but the short answer is, it should work now if your PocketPC shows up as a removable drive and you get the latest Plugin.

Steve

rjcrum

• Recent member
  • Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 02:36:13 pm »

JimH....thanks!  I think that explains it.

SteveG.....so, even though you were talking about the iPod, the fix applies to the PocketPC?  That means the plugin for the PocketPC that I can download right now will (hopefully) fix it?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up