INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, I threw Media Center a curve ball...  (Read 544 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
OK, I threw Media Center a curve ball...
« on: September 28, 2019, 11:12:11 pm »

... and how did it react?

TLDR: wow, it just worked!

All the details...

My setup is: I have a Windows desktop that I use for the MC server.  All the media files reside on my data server.  I also have a MC client that I interact with via a remote and the TV.

OK...

I have posted here previously about the caching of media by a MC client.  I admired the engineering behind such caching.

Well, this evening (in my playfulness)  ( and, yes, I fully admit I was trying to challenge MC) I did the following:

I started to listen to a song on the MC client.  The song was a long one (War on Drugs - Thinking of a Place).

While the song was playing, I rebooted the MC server.

From the perspective of the MC client, i.e., what I was listening to, that reboot was transparent.

In other words, it seems that the MC client had cached enough media data that the reboot of the MC server was inconsequential.

OK, I've written a lot of software, and this type of caching and resilience does not happen by chance.

It is designed and implemented.

Kudos to the MC developers!

Wow, just friggin' wow.

Take a bow.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: OK, I threw Media Center a curve ball...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:19:18 am »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up