INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Failed to load any library...re-install"  (Read 3737 times)

Marra

• World Citizen
"Failed to load any library...re-install"
« on: April 26, 2003, 01:31:53 am »

Using version 9.161, system froze. Upon re-start, error message "Failed to load any library. This is a critical error...Please re-install.."  This is the third time this has happened. Previously I have re-installed, re-imported files etc (using earlier versions).  But I'm becoming frustrated doing this so it's time to bother you. Sorry I'm scant on details - recent failure occured while updating tags. Using XP - can't copy system details.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Failed to load any library...re-install&
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 02:26:37 am »

this happened to me when playing with media server and conecting. when it gave the error and then MC9 would close.

I was still able to click on "file" then "Library" and change the library it was loading.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 05:27:54 am »

I've never used the "library" option and now system not recognizing any of my quick fix libraries. Am I missing something by not using libraries?

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 10:32:56 am »

Using version 9.161, system froze. Upon re-start, error message "Failed to load any library. This is a critical error...Please re-install.."  This is the third time this has happened. Previously I have re-installed, re-imported files etc (using earlier versions).  But I'm becoming frustrated doing this so it's time to bother you. Sorry I'm scant on details - recent failure occured while updating tags. Using XP - can't copy system details.

Sounds similar to when I crashed MC9 Build 9.161 by ripping and simultaneously encoding from 3 CD drives. First crash said to delete my C:\program files\JRiver\mediacenter\data folder as it was 'from a previous MC9 trial and invalid".
Second time it did the same it told me to reinstall as this had been a critical error.
Mine may have been hardware related, But the reaction of MC9 was, um . . how was it ut? "Less than Graceful"?

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 09:56:45 pm »

After every program or system crash it seems that the library files get corrupted. This really gets old fast. It is nice that you do not need to reinstall any more, but it would be better if the program better managed the library database file in such a way as to not get corrupted on a crash.

LisaRCT

Re: "Failed to load any library...re-inst
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 05:28:08 am »

The library file corruption is continuing with any hard crash of MC9:
. . .  system shuts-down on fatal error,
system restarts . . .
system runs checkdisk . . .
lost clusters found in JRiver folder(s)  . . .
system loads Windows . . .
. . . When re-starting MC9 an error is received reporting that the library files are "from a previous trial of MediaCenter and are Invalid . .  delete all .jmd files in C:\program files\jriver\media center\data" and then MC9 closes.
Deleting these files allows MC9 to open but then of course there is no library and you must again import your media files.

BTW: I found a 'band-aid' for this:  I copy those *.jmd files to a back-up folder occaisionally so I can replace them after such a crash . . . .   this may leave some library updating to be done, but for now it gets me back in action quickly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 08:37:10 am »

Can someone send me a corrupted library? (the .jmd files in the data directory)

We can't reproduce this.

matt @ jriver.com (no spaces)

Thanks for helping!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 01:07:53 pm »

I have re-installed and re-imported files so I no longer have corrupted .jmd files  to forward. Thanks for the advice to back up these files. Hopefully I wan't need to use them again.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 08:44:28 pm »

Not sure if this is any help, but I use MC9 w/my iPod and it seems like this occurs when I shut down MC9 while viewing the contents of the iPod.  Then when I start up again MC9 is looking for those same songs that were displayed on the iPod but can't find them.

With or without the iPod connected though I can't restart unless I do an uninstall/reinstall.

Not sure what's going on, but it's been happening since .161 or so for me.

Adam(s)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 08:06:34 am »

Update on this one.  It seems to happen anytime after I connect my iPod and sync w/MC9.  Even if I exit MC9 w/o the iPod connected the problem still occurs.

Have no idea, I'm going to post this in the iPod board so Steve can look at it, but wanted to update you all in case you were chasing it down still.

Adam(s)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 11:52:34 am »

There was a bug in the database core with loading huge field values.  It'll be fixed next build.  

Hopefully MC's database will be problem free for you after that.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 02:02:54 pm »

Matt - could images stored within the tags cause these sorts of problems? If so, could this be at the root of my Media server problems (client hangs after about 12 songs, and cover art never displays in client)?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 02:21:21 pm »

Matt - could images stored within the tags cause these sorts of problems?

No.  There must still be some other problem.  We'll take a look.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 02:49:30 pm »

OK, I'll try the latest anyway. John G is aware of these issues. For me, the hang is a showstopper. The album art not working is just a major drag.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 08:09:44 pm »

Is this problem not effecting more people anymore?  Is it just me?

I've tried everything I can think of and still am having it.  I'd call it a HUGE showstopper.

I'd rather not have to delete my library and recreate my playlists all over again....

:sigh:

**EDIT**

OK, you folks probably need some more info on this one, so here's what I'm able to do (or not do).

When I get the error message I reinstall (.168 as of tonight).  Then, I open it.  I play around a bit, and close the app.  Try and relaunch, boom!  Error message again.  I've figured out that I can get it to work again w/o having to reinstall if I apply the skin iPod.mjp  It downloads it and installs it then lanches it OK.  

Then if I close and restart it again, boom!  I get the failed to load error again and I can't get it to open anymore even if I reapply the iPod skin. I get an error "INSTALLSKIN action failed".  So I'm stuck w/reinstalling again.

Note: during this process I have not connected my iPod or browsed it w/MC9 at all. Also, I've tried uninstalling (just registry values) to no avail.

Please help!  I'm stuck!!!!!  I've never had any problems before:

System info:

Media Center Registered 9.0.168 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 498 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 70 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929)wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: Memorex  DVD+R/RW 2.4x8AA   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX175A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Adam(S)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2003, 03:02:43 am »

you might want to try something

rename key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\View Info

to somthing like

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\View Info (Old)

(don't delete it, it may become helpfull later)

this key will be re-created by MC9

====================================

there was a problem with this key that when some parms were in this key it would crash MC9

after you rename the key then load up MC9 and see if that helped.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 09:00:57 pm »

Blast!

Didn't work.  I downloaded and installed .169, deleted the key, re-installed .169 and rebooted.

Launched MC9, no problem.  Connected my iPod and sync'd, no problem.  Shut down MC9, disconnected my iPod, relaunched MC9....BAM!  Same error message.

With or w/o the iPod I get the same error now.

What is really the pits about this is that I haven't had a problem w/any of the betas for like 2-3 months now.  And then release comes....

Blech!  I'm a sad man.....   :'(

Any suggestions?  Anyone?  Bueller?  ;)

Adam(S)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2003, 05:05:11 am »

Strange.

Maybe try making a new library with "Library Manager" at a new location.

Use it with just a few files and never look at the iPod.  See if it ever fails.

If that works, then add the iPod to the mix.

Try one thing at a time like that until we know what it is.

Sorry for the hassles and thanks for helping.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2003, 09:36:21 pm »

Well, it still didn't work.

I created a new library, with just 10 songs in it.  Stored it in a different location and everything.

Closed MC9 (no-iPod stuff at all), relaunched.  Got a different error, "Failed to Load Library, will revert to previous library".  Then it tries to load that library and I get the usual Failed to load any library error.

There are a couple of weird things I've noticed.  Everytime MC9 launches, when it does find the library, it's always on the CDs, DVDs and Handhelds tree item, even if I make sure and select Media Library (or any other tree item) before I exit.

Also, it seems that if I try enough times I can get it to work, that's not always the case, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.

Also, I can acutally use menu items when the error msg is displayed, since it's a modal message I wouldn't expect that, but I can click on File>Library>Import and it runs (I get an error, that it failed), but I can use other commands, which seems strange to me....

I'm sooooooo lost w/o my MC9.

Adam(s)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2003, 04:07:37 am »

This is severe, but uninstall and remove the registry.

Delete or rename any jmd files and delete any MC directories.

Reboot

Reinstall version 9.0.170 from the download page.

You'll lose any playlists and maybe cover art, though you could move cover art to a different folder.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2003, 12:44:58 pm »

Yuck, I thought it was going to come to that.

Well, at least I will reinstall and should be able to launch it once, from there I could export all playlists, then uninstall, delete registry, reinstall and import playlists....hopefully that'll work.

I'm going on vacation so it'll be a while before I can try this out.

Thanks though....

Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up