INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I configure MC25 to "Play Tracks in Next Folder"?  (Read 1173 times)

dbaldock9

• Recent member
How do I configure MC25 to "Play Tracks in Next Folder"?
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:08:28 pm »

I've organized my music on my PC, in folders as:  D: / Music / [ Genre ] / [ Artist ] / [ Album ] / [ Tracks ]
In MC25, if I navigate to: Audio / Files / D: / Music / [ Genre ] / [ Artist ] / [ Album ]
and begin playing the Tracks, play stops at the last track in that folder.

How do I configure MC25 to "Play Tracks in Next Folder"?

Thanks,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I configure MC25 to "Play Tracks in Next Folder"?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »

Simple. Stop using the Audio > Files View in MC and start using the other Views, or create some of your own, based on the tags in your files rather than the directory they are sitting in. Views, and Playing Now, are some of the most powerful features of MC. Use them.

Or if you must use the Files View, just right-click on the first Album folder and select "Add to Playing Now", then right-click on the second folder and select "Add to Playing Now", then... repeat as desired.

Check out some of the other options under the right-click menu while you are there, under the "More Play Options" group.

Then Open a new tab in MC and look at Playing Now, to see what you have just done, and check it is what you want, because there are some settings that change MC behaviour.

Experiment. Learn. Get more out of MC.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dbaldock9

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:53:16 am »

Ah, well I just wanted to know if MC25 could work like my inexpensive DAPs - where I can turn a "Play Through/Next Folder" option On or Off in the settings.
I guess there's not an easy setting to do that.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 06:34:32 pm »

No, there isn't any setting like that I am aware of.

DAPs are very simple devices compared to the power of MC. You should try using Playlists as I mentioned. Very powerful. Simple to use. No more difficult than "Play through/Next folder".

Then if you started to look at Views, even more powerful.

Have a great day!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 08:15:22 pm »

MC can behave exactly the way you want, you just have to make sure a couple of things are set correctly.  This issue is that MC will not normally play across "Groups" in a file list.  But you can get around that easily.  Roderick was on the right track, but didn't give you the full solution, so I would have to guess you are not Australian...  ;)

First, Options->General->Behavior->Double-click:  Replace Playing Now (all)

Second, Right-click on your Artists view, select Customize View, and ensure "Always Show Files" is checked.

Now go to your artist view, and look at the menu in the top left corner of the bottom pane, the list of files.  It will look like this:

or it may say [Artist] Files if you've already clicked on an Artist in the view.  In any case, hover your mouse over that little menu where it says All Files and a little menu will drop down.  Select Group By-> None.

Now there are no groups in the list.  Sort the list however you want (say by Artist then Album then Track), scroll to any track in the list you want, and double-click a track.  MC will start playing there, and continue playing through every file in the list.  You control how long that list is by what you have clicked on in the upper pane.

Got it?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »

Cool.  8)

There are so many ways to use MC.  :D

dbaldock9

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I have written some Linux bash shell scripts (which run in Cygwin on Windows 7), that will search for user defined keywords in the meta data (tags) of my music files, and create m3u playlist files (with an option for chronological sorting).

Slightly off the subject of my original question, but on the subject of Views within MC25 - I know that the FLAC standard allows multiple Genres to be defined for Albums & Tracks (for instance "Christmas" and "Celtic"), but the disc ripping and music playing views appear to only allow selecting or displaying a single Genre ("Christmas" or "Celtic").

wer

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Did you try de-grouping the view as suggested?  Did that work for you or is there some other problem?

I have written some Linux bash shell scripts (which run in Cygwin on Windows 7), that will search for user defined keywords in the meta data (tags) of my music files, and create m3u playlist files (with an option for chronological sorting).

Was there a question here? MC provides this functionality and more, easily accessed through the Smartlists feature.

Slightly off the subject of my original question, but on the subject of Views within MC25 - I know that the FLAC standard allows multiple Genres to be defined for Albums & Tracks (for instance "Christmas" and "Celtic"), but the disc ripping and music playing views appear to only allow selecting or displaying a single Genre ("Christmas" or "Celtic").

Incorrect.  Genre in MC is a semicolon delimited list.  Edit the field and type what you want to add multiple genres. "Christmas; Celtic" would mean the file is in both genres.  If you look at a standard category view, you will see Christmas and Celtic listed separately.  Drill in to either one, and you will find the file with both Genres.  It doesn't show you a "Christmas; Celtic" category because that is not a category, it is two separate categories.  Nevertheless, you could still configure to show a pile of Celtic files inside a pile of Christmas files by adding a second Genre category to the view.

If you want to see ONLY files that are in both Genres, you can construct that search in a panes view, or using the search bar, or create an entire new category view using expressions.  There are many ways to do almost everything.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:53:27 pm »

https://medium.com/thethursdaythought/when-all-you-have-is-a-hammer-everything-looks-like-a-nail-the-einstellung-effect-on-67ee8449f740

That is just crazy, if you already have MC.

dbaldock9

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:20 am »

I've been a hands-on script (csh, tcsh, bash, awk, perl, Amiga Rexx, Windows cmd) writer & user, since 1989 (originally on UNIX, then on Amiga, Linux, and Windows).
The Playlists that the scripts create, are for use on my various DAPs.
I'm not as likely to use the Playlists in MC25.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 06:04:31 pm »

You can use the power of MC to create Playlists and then export them for use on your DAPs. There are various formats that can be exported, including m3u, with relative or absolute paths. You should look at the functionality. Not to mention what can be done with Sync Handheld... which is a lot more.

For 30 year you have been using that old hammer. Time to put it down and try making music with the lute. Change is good for you. Learning is good for you.

But it's your life.

dbaldock9

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 01:37:22 pm »

MC can behave exactly the way you want, you just have to make sure a couple of things are set correctly.  This issue is that MC will not normally play across "Groups" in a file list.  But you can get around that easily.  Roderick was on the right track, but didn't give you the full solution, so I would have to guess you are not Australian...  ;)

First, Options->General->Behavior->Double-click:  Replace Playing Now (all)

Second, Right-click on your Artists view, select Customize View, and ensure "Always Show Files" is checked.

Now go to your artist view, and look at the menu in the top left corner of the bottom pane, the list of files.  It will look like this:

or it may say [Artist] Files if you've already clicked on an Artist in the view.  In any case, hover your mouse over that little menu where it says All Files and a little menu will drop down.  Select Group By-> None.

Now there are no groups in the list.  Sort the list however you want (say by Artist then Album then Track), scroll to any track in the list you want, and double-click a track.  MC will start playing there, and continue playing through every file in the list.  You control how long that list is by what you have clicked on in the upper pane.

Got it?

This suggestion worked - except I can't figure out how to exclude "Playlists" from the modified ("Always show files") Genre View.
If Playlists aren't excluded, then Tracks are shown multiple times - the original track listing, and the Playlist listing.
In the "Customize View > Included Files > Set rules for file display", it appears there are options for adding things to the View, but not for excluding things (unless the "Custom" rule can somehow be set to "everything except Playlists").

Thanks for any suggestions.

EDIT: I figured out how to implement a Custom exclude Playlist rule, and now the View is showing Tracks in the way that I prefer.

wer

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 01:49:54 pm »

Explore the rules more carefully.  The rules can include or exclude.  Only things that are explicitly included will be shown in the view.  You do not need to exclude something unless it las already been included by another rule.  Also, there is an option to inherit rules from higher levels of the tree.

If you want anyone to be able to help you understand why playlists are in your view, you will have to post screenshots of how your views are configured.

I was going to give you a link to the JRiver wiki about view schemes and view customization, but the documentation there is so old and out of date, with screenshots that don't match any recent version, that I think it might confuse more than help.  Look at this forum post instead:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0

wer

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »

You posted at the same time I did...  Good that you figured it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up