INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio issue with video playback  (Read 1267 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
audio issue with video playback
« on: October 03, 2019, 03:49:04 pm »

Hi all -

Recently all video playback audio says input is "192Khz 16bit 8 channel" which is incorrect.  Does not matter the format - MKV, M2TS, from blu-ray folder playback.

VNC has no issues.

The end result of this is that the audio exhibits a terrible sound particularly apparent on the center channel - like a high pitch whine.

Straight FLAC audio plays back just fine.  This is video only and after swapping in/out components, I can't find any issue except Media Center.

Any idea why Media Center would think all audio associated with Video would be 192/16/8 channel?  It's clearly incorrect...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: audio issue with video playback
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:03:50 pm »

This is from Hendrik in another thread about Bitstreaming -
---------------------------
J River reports input as:  192KHz (incorrect) 16 bit 8 channel.  It should be 96KHz.  And, of course, 7.1.4 channels.

When bitstreaming that info is not about the contents of the actual audio, but the transport format used for the bitstream. 192kHz, 8 channel, results in a ~24mbit audio link, which is required to send high-quality lossless HD audio.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 04:04:42 pm »

...you should be able to post your MP4a sample of the issue in this thread (it should fit).
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 04:11:37 pm »

attached is an example of the high pitch whine sound (m4a audio)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 04:23:27 pm »

This could be one for Henrick (LAV?), as from what I understand from TheShoe
- Only gets it with Video files (DirectShow playback)
- Happens both on Bitstreaming and Decoding
- Does not happen with VLC (which does not use LAV from what I understand)

You could try:
- swapping between WASAPI and Direct Sound
- Delete: "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Plugins\lav64" and let MC redownload LAV
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »

I tried an older version of lav, same issue.

Tried an older version of madVR, same issue.

I also tried MPC-BE which is configured on my HTPC to use madVR + Lav, same issue.

VLC still works fine.

I then switched from Red October HQ to Standard and it was pretty much gone and played back normally (though I thought I still heard some slight static).

-

When I try to change to Direct Sound, playback does not work at all - Media Center says the audio output is not supported.

I might next try re-installing the nVidia drivers to see if that makes any difference

Also tried older versions of MC v25 which I know worked fine and same issue

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »

Direct Sound should work but you may need to check the Windows Audio Config and get that correct first.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:50:06 pm »

Ok - further testing:

Re-installing nVidia drivers didn't do anything.

-

I hooked up another HTPC to the same HDMI cable; everything else in the chain is the same (TV, Pre/pro, speakers, etc)

Fired up media center, configured audio to bitstreaming, using Red october HQ and the audio was perfect.

That at least isolates this issue to my main HTPC with my nVidia 1080Ti card.  I suspect that power surge may have done some weird damage to the card or the motherboard.  Going to try the built in intel video/audio next and see if it exhibits this issue.  If not, then I think my nVidia card suffered some damage.

Note that if I select Direct Sound in MC, MC will hang and usually crash; so default audio does not work for some reason.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 06:00:19 pm »

I hate power surges, stuff keeps failing for months afterwards.....
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:56:54 pm »

Some strange results:

The sound that I hear is emitting from the PC itself as well - have to open and see if it's coming from the motherboard or nVidia GPU.  Earlier it was also coming from the speakers.

If I go into madVR and dial down the chroma/image upscaling from NGU (my previous setting) to Jinc (for example), it completely goes away and all works fine.  I know NGU and my settings were pushing the GPU very hard and wonder again if that power surge has somehow affected the GPU and/or PSU or mother board.  I've seen where bad caps can cause strange sound to be emitted from a PC speaker (thanks 8-bit guy!)

All very strange; the integrated intel GPU (which can only handle madVr low-end performance mode) worked fine, so I'm back to the nVidia GPU and possibly a problem when it's pushed to the max.

*sigh*. All coincides with that power surge which cost me an exaSound DAC as well.

Note to all - the PSAudio Dectet and it's MOV circuit do not protect reliably against power surges!

I'll try a new PSU next, and then the GPU in another PC all together and see if I can completely isolate it as the culprit.  Afterall, those original chroma/image scaling settings worked fine for a long time

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:43:09 am »

The file sounds like a bad case of coil whine. Some GPUs can exhibit it right out of the factory, and varies based on GPU load. But it can also be caused by a bad PSU or other damage.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 02:43:11 am »

Swapping the PSU sounds like a good 1st step.  Much cheaper than the GPU and I've had failing PSU do all sorts of weird things to a system and the  1080Ti pulls plenty of current.  Cross fingers that it all the damage that was done.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 06:24:44 am »

The file sounds like a bad case of coil whine. Some GPUs can exhibit it right out of the factory, and varies based on GPU load. But it can also be caused by a bad PSU or other damage.

googling coil whine produced a tremendous amount of relevant hits.   thanks.   looks like a good lead on this

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:35 pm »

Hopefully this thread helps others in some future point of time:

I am convinced that the "coil whine" is a result of the recent power surge I had, which was due to electrical work in my home.  It fried my expensive DAC (exaSound e38 Mark I; I've upgraded to a Mark II at a discount - thanks to George at exaSound and Teddy Pardo).  Prior to that event, all was well.  As @jmone indicated, power surges can cause damage that is not always obvious.

I've since replaced my Dectet power strip from PS Audio with a ZeroSurge (10R-1U-20W-I - #002-00153) which uses a different and better tech than MOV circuit to prevent surges from damaging equipment.  Time will tell...  ZeroSurge is what is used by SurgeX for those familiar.

In any case, with the ZeroSurge, I've noticed a decrease but not eliminated coil whine on the GPU.  Ratcheting back the scaling in madVr eliminates it and honestly my aging eyes can't tell a difference.  My mind however remains pissed :). Such is life!

Suffice to say this thread is a cautionary tale: if you have expensive audio equipment, either disconnect it from the outlet when not in use, or invest as I did in some expensive equipment - and hope it lives up to its reputation!

Cheers and thanks for those that assisted.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 03:48:00 am »

If surge has damaged your equipment ... putting surge protection now won’t help fixing that problem

If you buy surge protection ... just keep in mind that they don’t last forever ... there is limit on how much energy each surge protection can absorb ... once that limit is reached ... it will not protect your equipment anymore

No easy way to tell when surge protection becomes useless (unless your equipment are fried which is too late already) ... generally it seems 2 years is time they recommend replacing surge protector ... or if you know there was a big surge in your area ... worth replacing surge protection too (not that expensive compared to equipment you protecting)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up