INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Files  (Read 1229 times)

tubehead120

• Recent member
Missing Files
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:50:32 pm »

Every time I 1) Clear a library 2) Change to a different library or 3) close JRiver, all of the songs that were in the library at the time of the action are deleted from my hard drive.  I have pulled up JRiver and File Explorer side by side and watched it happen.  I have done detailed scans of the complete system with Windows Defender and found no viruses; I tried excluding Defender from JRiver folders and applicable file extensions.  I have been using JRiver for 15 years and never had a problem.  This started after, for the first time, I converted some .dsf files to .aif and to .flac.  I haven't been able to discover anything I did wrong.  I have uninstalled JRiver, deleted the install files, redownloaded and installed, all to no joy.  Please help!

tubehead120

• Recent member
Re: Missing Files
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:22:01 am »

In case I wasn't clear in the above post, the actual audio files - the songs themselves - are being deleted.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:21:24 am »

What is the complete folder name where the files are?

tubehead120

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 04:23:34 am »

Once music files are actually imported into the library, they (the actual music files) are deleted from the hard drive when I 1) clear the library 2) switch to another library or 3) close JRiver.  I have pulled JRiver and File Explorer up side by side and watched it happen (not believing my own lying eyes) numerous times.  Basically, any music loaded into a library is deleted.  All that remains are those JR files that are created along with the library. 
      Music files played directly from File Explorer through JRiver are not affected.  Other players are not affected - Foobar's library works fine.  (I downloaded it just to check).  So far I have 1) done detailed virus scans of all associated hard drives, 2) done the Windows Defender folder and file extension exclusions and 3) uninstalled JRiver, deleted the install file and re downloaded and installed - all to no joy.
      I did the complete re installation because I noticed the problem after using the file converter for the first time in the sixteen years I've been using and faithfully upgrading JRiver.  I had just batch converted 10 dsf files to aif and loaded them together into a test library to compare the sound.  From much past experience I know there is a good chance I screwed up somehow (most of us simple users are paying to selfeducate).  I figured that was the only way to fully clear the settings.  Maybe not?  If it is a virus it is aimed at JRiver.  Help!!!

tubehead120

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 06:20:39 am »

I'm not sure what (or maybe when?) you mean.  This started when I was doing my first file conversion, 20 files from dsf to aif.  My main music libraries and files are on an external drive at S: Music\CDs, S: Music\HiRez PCM, S: Music\DSD and S: Music\LP Rips.  I copied 20 files from S: Music\DSD to Windows directory This PC\Music\Swap and back to S: at S:Music\Working.  I set up the JRiver conversion source and target folders at S:Music\Working and S:Music\Test, repectively.  I then carried out the file conversion.  I created a JRiver Library named Test at S:Music\Test and one at S:Music\Working named Working for A/B testing.  I loaded Test library, listened to a few cuts, then loaded Working library to A/B them.  When I went back Test library JRiver said it was empty.  I checked in File Explorer and the only files in S:Music\Test were the little JR library ones, plus the Cache folder.  I then checked S:Music\Working and it was the same.  I then checked the folders holding the music files for my full collection (the afore-named S: Music\CDs, S: Music\HiRez PCM, S: Music\DSD and S: Music\LP Rips).  All files were still there.  I immediately disconnected the S: drive. 

I have an internal store drive D: with folders of favorite tunes.  They are named similar to my main library folders - D: Music\CD Favorites, etc.  I created a folder D:Test and library to match.  As previously, I swapped a file into D:\Test.  I pulled File Explorer and JRiver side by side, loaded tyhe Test Library with a file and played it everything worked fine.  I cleared the Test library and watched the music track vanish a few seconds later.  The same thing happened when I changed to the Main lbrary, and when I closed JRiver.  The same thing happened when I repeated the effort at This PC\Music\Test.  The missing files were not in the recycle bin and I could not find them with any kind of search.  The files are nowhere.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 06:44:44 am »

Thanks for the details.

Double check your conversion settings.  You may have it set to put the file in another location and remove the original.

I merged your other post on this to this thread. 

At first, I thought the external drive might have a problem, but I see now that you've tested on an internal drive.

There is a Windows Defender thread here.  It would be good to make sure you've got it set right.  It seems to have developed some new problems in the last few months.

I don't think we've ever seen such a problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 06:54:05 am »

What is the full version of MC that you're using?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:55 am »

I set up the JRiver conversion source and target folders at S:Music\Working and S:Music\Test, repectively.  I then carried out the file conversion.  I created a JRiver Library named Test at S:Music\Test and one at S:Music\Working named Working

It's the test folders that are the issue, I believe. The MC library has to have it's own directory. When you clear the library, my understanding is, that everything in the library folder is reset, meaning, the folder is cleared and the default library files are moved in. You cannot store media files in the same folder as an MC library.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 12:20:33 pm »

Media Center only allows creation of a library in an empty folder.  You'll get a message if you try to select a folder with something in it.

If you later put things in the library folder and clear the library, they will be lost.

We make a white and a black list at clear time and only things in the keep list are preserved.

Otherwise file deletion in Media Center only happens when running the delete tool and selecting to delete the files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 12:49:15 pm »

Thanks for the confirmation Matt. I was almost certain it would be that, but couldn't say for 100% without testing.

tubehead120

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 12:22:43 am »

I tried what you said about using one folder for the library location and another to import files from, and it works.  I also figured out why, although I've never done it that way for 16 years, I've never lost any files. 

For example, I have all my ripped CDs in folder S: Music\CDs.  I have created my CD library at the same location and have always done it that way; if you look there you will see the JRiver Cache folder and all the many little library files.  You will also see all the music album FOLDERS, not the music song files that are in them.  That's why JRiver never got them before.  So it isn't true that JRiver will never delete your music files.  It will if you put them in the actual library folder.  It will not if they are anywhere else, including in subfolders of the library folder.

All these years I was just lucky!  Thank you everyone for all of your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up