INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I send media directly from NAS to Home Theatre Receiver using JRiver?  (Read 1773 times)

mosser

• Recent member

Hi, long time listener, first time caller,

How can I send media directly from my QNAP NAS to my Home Theatre Receiver (HDMI connection) using JRiver as the controller (from my wireless PC and also JRemote)?  All my data sits on the QNAP and it is a massive collection that cannot live anywhere else (e.g. PC).  I do not want to buy a Raspberry Pi or an Id.  I do not want to devote my laptop to be a full time, wired HTPC.

I can get JRiver on my PC to play music files via DLNA to my home theatre but the "now playing" view on the TV screen looks like crap (via Onkyo TX-NR737) compared to the native JRiver experience on the PC or JRemote.  Another problem is that I can't stream video over DLNA.  Big problem.

I used to have JRiver 21 installed on the QNAP and it was awesome using the QNAP HybridDesk Station to project JRiver to the TV as it looked natively.  Video played perfectly because it was sent directly to the Home Theatre Receiver with HDMI and I could control it with the PC,  tablet, or phone.  Then that beautiful QNAP/JRiver marriage ended abrurptly.  That was tragic.

I still have the aforementioned setup intact and workable, but it is a clumsy experience for editing file metadata, a primary strength of JRiver in the native PC experience.  I finally moved over to the traditional PC setup but I cannot get the new PC-based library to load in JRiver on QNAP as a client.  I get error after error using both the access key or the other ip address method.  It's especially odd because I can access the new PC-based JRiver on my tablet or phone in the native JRiver view when using JRemote.  Maybe because the PC is version 24 and the QNAP is version 21?

Anyway, that's alot, but wanted to provide full context around my former and current experience.  I want the best of all described worlds if possible.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy

You could either mount the QNAP drive from your PC and set up the library and stream from there or use the MC25 Docker image running on the QNAP Container Station. Search the forum for Docker image, plenty of info on it in here.

I use that setup and it works very well.

mosser

• Recent member

Thanks, I will look in to the docker solution.  I had read a little about it, sounded a little "adventurous" for me but will check it out.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

Yeah it’s a little different if you’ve never done it before, but don’t be too intimidated, the QNAP app makes it pretty easy.

mosser

• Recent member

After further consideration, I decided not to try the docker solution.  It's partly because I don't want to become a Linux software architect in my limited spare time.  It's mostly because JRiver shouldn't make me resort to such nonsense.

I moved away from the PC-based approach over DLNA and back to my NAS-mounted JRiver install (QNAP) that allows direct, BIT-PERFECT, NAS-to-receiver data transmission via HDMI (including seamless HD video).   (I wish support for this would resume!!)  People, isn't the audiophile-grade processing and bit-perfect output the primary reason we like JRiver (in addition to the file management and Views personalization capabilities)? 

As I mentioned in my original post above, the file editing challenges between client and server are just infuriating.  I agreed with many of the suggestions in this thread, having been a JRiver user for over 10 years who has struggled through arcane software requirements so many times: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=119241.0

Riffing on the above thread, not being computer scientist, I have literally spent days of my life in aggregate battling through JRiver configuration challenges.  Love the product concept, but have never loved the product execution.  Once configured, it's amazing, but I can see 95% of people just giving up.  It's a chore and it doesn't just work like so many modern competitors.

Please simplify the UX.  Think focus groups, user testing environments...

We want the best for you (and us).

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

What specific problems are you having? One of the best things about JRiver that you are not utilizing is the vast amount of knowledge available on these boards. A lot of this stuff may be hard for you, but it's fairly trivial for many of the users here, let them guide you through it.

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand

Running JRiver on a NAS is my goal too. I think (and I'm still researching...) that some NAS's allow a Virtual Windows option.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Running JRiver on a NAS is my goal too. I think (and I'm still researching...) that some NAS's allow a Virtual Windows option.

Does your NAS run Docker? There are several Docker containers available on the Linux board (I am currently working on another one, YAMCC - yet another MC container).
Pages: [1]   Go Up