INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Volume Setting Effect Audio Quality  (Read 2199 times)

Bioman

• Recent member
Does Volume Setting Effect Audio Quality
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »

Just getting around to using the volume control on JRiver; in this case through the JRemote app.  I love how the app lets me get from A to B in my library without jumping up and down from laptop to listening position.   So, in an effort to be even lazier, I would like to control the volume using the JRemote app.  But I recall hearing in digital systems that adjusting the volume i.e. from within as opposed to at the preamp could reduce the sound quality by lowering the bit rate.  Is this true at all anymore?  Or does it simply not apply to JRiver.  I would like to simply turn up the volume on my preamp to let's say 11 o'clock (which is way too loud to use normally) and use the volume control in JRiver somewhere in the 70 to 100% range as the source material dictates.  Anyone have any thoughts.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does Volume Setting Effect Audio Quality
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 06:19:15 pm »

Lowering the volume will not affect the bit rate. However it will affect the bit DEPTH. To make it oversimplified, if you digitally set volume at 50% you reduce the number of bits by 1; so if the full volume was 16 bits resolution, then 50% volume reduces that to 15 bits resolution. It’s not obvious if you could really tell the difference though. You could try it, and report back..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Bioman

• Recent member
Re: Does Volume Setting Affect Audio Quality?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:11:56 pm »

It is a bit confusing.  If I reduced volume to 75 would I have a 15.5 bit (joke) depth, or does it hit  threshold before you drop down.  At any rate my amp puts out over 1200 watts into 8 ohms; I have thought of padding it down so I have more volume knob range.  Perhaps if I simply up the pre volume more than I could reduce the hit bit depth takes. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 08:53:59 pm »

Remember that MC is 64-bit for the audio pipeline.  So you're not losing anything as long as your output is high enough bit depth.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 10:01:03 pm »

This article explains something about it, and provides a code example to demonstrate the exactness of the MC volume mechanism.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:27:26 am »

It depends upon how picky you are.  A MC's 64 bit internal space should be more than adequate for doing a pretty wide range of volume reduction without introducing any weird artifacts or anything.

But does it affect the sound quality in some way?  Maybe; maybe not.  Probably not.  But if you are really picky...

Feel free to call me a curmudgeon here:  I still believe that computer based volume control is a bad idea for several reasons, the biggest one being safety.  I would never use a software volume control, on a computer, for my only volume.

Remote controlled preamps and receivers are extremely common.  Universal and learning remote controls are inexpensive and common.  I would only use a hardware based volume control personally.  It eliminates a lot of variables.  It's a known quantity.  It's easy to understand and can be operated manually (with your fingers on a knob).

Even something like the Schiit Saga S would be a good mid priced option.  It's got 64 discrete steps using a switched resistor ladder network for essentially perfect left to right matching.  ...and 64 steps of 1 dB each is pretty fine adjustment.  It's also remote controlled.  ...and it's cool looking.  :)

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:14 am »

I would never use a software volume control, on a computer, for my only volume.

I've used Internal Volume for years with volume protection enabled.  Never an issue.

My power amp at home would absolutely destroy the speakers if it was played at full level.  It just never happens.

I'm really happy with the solution of software volume.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »

I've used Internal Volume for years with volume protection enabled.  Never an issue.

My power amp at home would absolutely destroy the speakers if it was played at full level.  It just never happens.

You've said that several times when I've voiced my (unpopular) opinion.  I should start acknowledging the fact that there are people who successfully use software only volume control and do not have any problems.  I still have the same opinion, but I wanted to acknowledge your point and your positive experience.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »

Bioman

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 06:54:59 pm »

Thanks, not noticing any sound degradation even at 50%.  What works, works.  Thanks to all for the interesting papers.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:59:19 pm »

I would never use a software volume control, on a computer, for my only volume.
Just to go with what Matt said, I've been using software volume control only on my systems since the early 90's and with JRiver since MC9.  :)

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »

JRiver's software volume control is excellent. I have volume protection enabled, but other than that, I run my DAC and amps wide open with no attenuation with close to 2 kilowatts of amplification on tap. Been running almost daily since MC 18 with no issues, including all betas.

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 01:10:10 am »

Same here, starting with mc18  :)

Btw, I‘ve got 7 separate 2ch dac, splitted all over the room. So, a hardware option for volume levelling is not possible. And besides, where do I get a preamp with 15ch in/out?  ;D

Manfred

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 03:29:56 am »

MC's internal volume control is quite excellent, but my Devialet's volume control sounds to my ears a little bit better (smoother, more relaxed). But the Devialet is $$$$.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up