INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High-CPU/crash problem experienced as of .106  (Read 806 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
High-CPU/crash problem experienced as of .106
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:13:25 pm »

Edit by OP: Problem was found to be unrelated to VST(s).

On three different PCs -- if I simply display the GUI of any one or more VST(s) loaded in the DSP Studio, two things happen:

1 - MC ramps up to high CPU and stays there, even if I close DSP Studio. (E.g., 70-80% on MS Surface Pro 4, 15-18% on more powerful PCs)

2 - MC cannot be closed. Closing leads to perpetual hang. Must be closed/terminated using Task Manager.

Playback is not required to recreate the problem; high CPU persists while MC is just idling, a.k.a. "doing nothing".

Problem presents starting with .106 ... have confirmed it as far as .113.

Thank you.

Note: I had mistakenly called this a .104-introduced problem. I meant to say it is a .106-introduced problem. Corrected post(s). Apologies, all. ;)
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: VST-related high-CPU/crash problem introduced in .104
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:28:11 am »

Antivirus?
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: VST-related high-CPU/crash problem introduced in .106
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:22:22 pm »

Nope. Worked fine for 10+ years, then all of a sudden started with *only* 25.106-onward. All I have to do is roll back to any pre-.106 and everything's fine again. Consistent on three (3) PCs.

P.S. -- Re Antivirus: only Windows Defender, and that's suppressed/curtailed as much as possible. On one PC, it's completely disabled MC-dedicated tablet.

Thanks

Note: I had mistakenly called this a .104-introduced problem. I meant to say it is a .106-introduced problem. Corrected post(s). Apologies, all. ;)
Derek Pert

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 12:54:07 pm »

I can't reproduce this.

Would you be willing to email me a copy of the VST plugin you're using?  I'm matt at jriver.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:54:38 pm »

Try both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of MC.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

Hi Matt:

Sure, and thanks for looking at this. Just "matt @ river . com"? I can send you a link to a box.com direct download.

BTW -- I run all my MC installs in portable mode, if that matters.

Hi JimH:

Were you asking me, or Matt, to compare the 32 v 64 bit versions? Happy to help, if you meant me. My setups have been all 64-based (MC, VSTs) since that was possible; I could install a 32 MC portably, and find the 32 bit versions of my various VSTs, if that's helpful.

Thank you.

P.S. -- Might be delayed a bit for Canadian Thanksgiving, which is this weekend. Apologies if so.
Derek Pert

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 01:01:32 pm »

BTW -- I run all my MC installs in portable mode, if that matters.
Can you reproduce this with a standard installation?

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:16 am »

Okay I did a bunch of testing and have resolved this. No cause for alarm and it has nothing to do with VST. Apologies for chasing the red herring. Causation vs. correlation and all that...  ::)

High-CPU began a few seconds after launching, by coincidence, about the same amount of time it took to navigate to DSP Studio and display a VST GUI.

The phenomenon was instead related to:

25.0.105 (9/25/2019)
[...]
4. NEW: Made the program update the 'Total Discs' for all the files in the library at startup (files not marked dirty, so shouldn't cause tagging).

My library has approx. 152,000 files. The above new feature surely takes a while to crank through all files for the first time. When I tried clearing the library, with all things the same, the high-CPU never happened. With the full library in place, I just waited out approx. 10-30 minutes (depending on which computer) and the high-CPU subsided. I therefore assume it stemmed from the above-noted new feature.

Suggestions:

1. Tweak things so that one can close the application in the middle of such a background process without causing an apparent "hang" 'til complete, AND it'll resume the needed process when launched again.

and/or

2. Display a notification under such circumstances, e.g. "MC is performing a database operation which needs to complete ... please wait" (or some such).

and/or

3. Add a subtle indicator, maybe optional, and not unlike the blue light, which tells users when sustained background database optimization and/or similar unusual operations are ongoing.

Thank you.
Derek Pert

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:35 am »

Glad you figured it out.

This change was made recently:

25.0.110 (10/3/2019)

Changed: The disc count and HDCD tools are stopped at shutdown instead of blocking shutdown.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 08:32:53 am »

Thanks, Matt. I've been myopically stuck in comparing .104 and .106 so I never noticed that.

BTW -- Any hope of this VST-related topic being resurrected? It's not "solved".

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121468.msg846960.html#msg846960

Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up