INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTU 112D / 1248  (Read 742 times)

Wull

• World Citizen
MOTU 112D / 1248
« on: October 07, 2019, 08:13:08 am »

Hi.

My processor may be beyond economical repair so I am looking into other options. I presently have a HT 'JRiver' PC that uses an AES16e.

The 2 options I am thinking about are the MOTU interface models 112D & 1248. Both are similar in price. The 112D allows me to keep using the AES, but I wandering if there's any advantage in keeping this except for not having to replace the D25/XLR leads I already own. Is either one sonically better sounding than the other?

@mojave I've seen you tried them both. Did you have any preference?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114211.msg789612.html#msg789612

I'm guessing they are quite straight forward to set up as I would only be using the MOTU as a DAC and the ability to map channels. I take it jRivers internal volume control is used for volume adjustment.

Also EQ, I think Accurate looks a little technical for me so probably will go with Audiolense? (I presently use Dirac)

Anyone with any experience with these able to share their thoughts on these interfaces?

Thanks..

Edit.... looks like the 122D is digital in/out so this will not work for me

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MOTU 112D / 1248
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:52:02 am »

Interface works fine, multi client is nice to have and the web based ui is convenient (NB: I do find the UI moderately confusing to use compared to that found on some other device). It gets marked down in my books for the lack of a user repairable psu (mine died after 3.25yrs and has to go back to the supplier for repair, annoying compared to RME which you can replace yourself)

Wull

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »

That is interesting. Thanks Matt.  I was going to ask about reliability. Before I do anything I will have to wait 'patiently' to see if my processor can be repaired. Pain the rear as it will have to be shipped to the US for this.

Always happens just as you think you've finally got everything together for a winter of entertainment  :(

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 01:44:13 pm »

It gets marked down in my books for the lack of a user repairable pay (mine died after 3.25yrs and has to go back to the supplier for repair, annoying compared to RME which you can replace yourself)

"user repairable pay" ?  What do you mean?

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »

"user repairable pay" ?  What do you mean?

Brian.
Sorry, looks like auto correct fail :) it should read as PSU . The Motu PSU is a) internal, and b) integrated into the chassis/board. RME PSUs in contrast can be purchased separately for not so much money and are a separate daughter board. I know this because I have devices from both and have had a PSU failure on each.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:00 pm »

That certainly makes a lot more sense.  :)

Thanks for clearing that up.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up