INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build missing thumbnails does not work  (Read 625 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Build missing thumbnails does not work
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:54:20 pm »

There are 224'575 images in my library. Everytime when I scroll down the list I see the red photos which are displayed when a thumnail is not available.
When I start Tools\Options\Build missing thumbnails MC sometimes reads ae few hundred or thousands, sometimes it tells 'complete'. In that case, I restart MC, scroll down again, see some red photos and call Build missing thumbnails again. Then again hundred or thousand images were thumbnailed.
I repeated this at least 15 times - and it still has not built all thumbnails.
It seems to my, that only the images are thumbnailed which have been displayed while scrolling.

Also I saw several times that 'Building thumbnails' didn't finish - sometimes it just finished without reaching the calculated count, sometimes it just stopped or became awfully slow.. In that situation I tested the availability of all my drives with explorer. They all were responding. After restarting MC it worked well afain - at least for a while.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Build missing thumbnails does not work
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 01:52:10 am »

Most of the images now have thumbnails. I had to scroll down the list with the 'cursor down' key and 'rebuild missing thumbnails' again.
Scrolling took over an hour!

When trying the same on videos, I found that some video thumbnails were still not built. There are MTS and MOV videos which play properly within MC but 'Rebuild Thumbnail' fails. Other thumbnails were built, but it takes several seconds for a single file. After restarting MC it usually works better for a while.

Having Thumbnails built is important in my setup. As described in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122262.50.html, my media files are stored on several disks (there is no drive big enough to hold them all).  Everytime when a view contains a video without thumbnail, it accesses the drive. This can cause GUI freeze for several seconds when the drive was sleeping.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Build missing thumbnails does not work
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:35:00 pm »

Any update ? Am I the only one with this problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up