INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: update file tags with the Library information does not work for all file types  (Read 1434 times)

Soundcheck

• Recent member

I change the tags in JRiver. That works well for all kind of files (mp3, mp4, wav, aiff...). If i check the physical file tags in the file system (windows explorer) i see that the tags for mp3 and mp4 are updated by JRiver. That is ok.

I did not find a way to update wav and aiff.

Titel, Interpret, Rating - nothing changes on disk if i change the tags in JRiver. What can i do?

I allready checked: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging

I activated the plugin. It was actually activated by default. Any ideas?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!

I did not find a way to update wav and aiff.

I just tested and it works.  Make sure you enable tag writing, as described in the wiki article you quoted.  Also make sure you select proper sidecar writing option in Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging.

Finally I would mention that the tags are written in an ID3 chunk, not in individual tag chunks.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Soundcheck

• Recent member

well i tried this and it doesn´t work. No chance to update the tags of aif or wav. I even changed the file type of a sample file from wav to mp3 - pretty stupid, bud it was a try and did not work. So in my opinion the WAV & AIFF Plugin seems to fail. Any other guesses?

Soundcheck

• Recent member

And one more strange thing. If i change the title of a flac within JRiver the title is properly changed in file system. But if i change the rating - the rating is not changed.

So

MP3: Tags like title and rating are synchron when i change in JRiver
WAV / AIF: No Tags are changed in the File System
FLAC: Some Tags are changed, Rating ist not changed

That is really strange.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Long story short, the tags are written but it's probably not in a way that your third-party software can understand. This is for two reasons:

1. AIFF and WAV tagging is not standardized

2. JRiver uses "proper" ID3v2 tags like the Popularimeter frame for ratings (scaled from 0-255). Your third-party program is probably showing tags from an actual "Rating" field.

The problem is the way that you are viewing the tags.

Soundcheck

• Recent member

I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX98_YZgkkI

As you see. It works completly for mp3, partly for flac and not for wav .... pretty strange.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

BryanC's answer is correct.

Windows Explorer won't see all tags in a file, and it will see different tags for different file formats. It sees mp3 tags because those are very standardised. FLAC is also quite standardised, using an Ogg Vorbis (Vorbis Comment Block) data chunk I believe, but still, something like ratings may not be saved in a way that Windows Explorer can see it. WAV and AIF are worse.

Make sure you have tag writing enabled, and that the MC fields you want to be written as tags are flagged to do so in MC's "Manage Library Fields" function. Then the only way to really test whether the tags are written to the file is to write them to a file in one copy of MC, and then import or update those files in another copy of MC (or another Library on the same PC) with writing Sidecar files turned off in the first MC installation so that the second installation doesn't just read the tags from the Sidecar file.

You can also use other tagging software to view tags in the files, if they use the same standards as MC. Many will, but not all.

Bottom line:
Tagging, even for audio files, is still a bit of an Art, rather than a Science. There are many "standards", and not all are very standard. For some file types there is no standard at all, but just a loose agreement on how files are to be tagged, usually by doing it the way the most popular programs did it in the past.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up