INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use VLC on iPhone as remote?  (Read 1263 times)

ScottRey269

• Recent member
Use VLC on iPhone as remote?
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:13:45 am »

Just wondering if it's possible to use VLC on an iPhone 7 to access and play media from MC.  If so, could someone explain what I need to do in both to do it?

I'm trying to figure out a way to access and play media from my MC server on the phone, preferably without having to re-encode all my files.  I encode all my videos in MKV, which iPhone doesn't support.  So, am hoping I can install VLC on it since I believe it can play MKV's.  I've tried using Panel, but even test videos I have re-encoded to h264/aac lc won't play.  Have yet to try JRemote, but I am assuming it won't help with file format problem either, correct?

Any help greatly aporeciated!!
HTPC Setup:  Silverstone LC20-B HTPC Case|Asus H87M-E Motherboard|Seasonic Power Supply|Intel Core I5-4570S 2.9 GHZ|(2)4GB Corsair XMS3 Memory|Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD (Internal- System)|Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (Internal- Documents)|Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard|Razer Diamondback Chroma Gaming Mouse|Windows 10 64bit v.1903/ MC 25.0.113 (64-bit)|Vantec NST-640SU3-BK 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (2) 1TB Seagate Constellation ES  (MC Server Mains)|Qnap TR-004 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (1) 3TB Seagate Ironwolf (Music Backup) & (2) 8TB Seagate Ironwolf (Video Backup)|Pioneer BDR-209D BR Drive

Router:  Linxsys AC5400 Maxstream

Home Theatre:  Logitech Harmony One Remote|Yamaha RX-V473 Rcvr.|LG 55C9 4K OLED TV| (2) Polk TSx 550T (F)| (1) Polk CS10 (C)| (4) Polk TS200 (S)| (1) Polk PSW505 (Su

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Use VLC on iPhone as remote?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:49:12 pm »

Have you installed VLC on your iPhone?
Have you then tried to connect to your MC server?
Have you then tried to play video?
If that didn't work, have you tried changing the DLNA settings in MC so that it transcodes to a format that VLC will play on the iPhone?

Bascially, try it and report where you get stuck, then you might get some help solving the problems. I don't think you will get anyone to write you a custom procedure to make it happen.

PS: I no longer worship at the altar of Apple, so can't advise specifically.  :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:18:45 am »

First, let me say Thank You for responding!!

Have you installed VLC on your iPhone?
Have you then tried to connect to your MC server?
Have you then tried to play video?
If that didn't work, have you tried changing the DLNA settings in MC so that it transcodes to a format that VLC will play on the iPhone?

Bascially, try it and report where you get stuck, then you might get some help solving the problems. I don't think you will get anyone to write you a custom procedure to make it happen.

No, I have not tried using VLC.  I was hoping there might be someone out there who has already tried and could let me at least know if it works or not.  I thought that's what forums were for.  The main problem is, the iphone in question is not mine.  I have a friend who wants to watch some of the videos I have, so I am trying to figure out a way they can access MC from outside my network.  I'm not super networking savy, but if I'm not mistaken, DLNA only works IN network.

I've had them try using Panel.  With it, they can access my MC server, see all my files & can get it to where they can play all my music files that are in FLAC format, but videos don't work.  Almost all my videos are in MKV format.  From what I've read, IPhone can basically only play HD video in MP4 files that are "H264 up to 4K, 30 frames p/s, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48kHz, stereo."  I started with trying to just set MC to transcode video to meet the above format requirements, but no luck. From what I can tell, none of the options available will do it.  There's also the confusion of exactly which of the multiple places to set transcoding is the one I need to change.  I've also tried using Handbrake to re-encode a test file to those specs but it still doesn't play.  The only thing I've read online but haven't tried is to check the box to "Optimize for Web" option.  Honestly though, as much as I'd like to let them be able to watch them, I don't want to switch all 570 of my movies from mkv to mp4.  So, was hoping to find a player or something for iphone that can play the existing mkv's.  Currently, waiting on them to try using nPlayer.  I loaded it on my Android phone to test connectivity.  Only way I could get it to connect outside my network though, despite its many options, is via its built in browser and still using Panel.  No word from them if videos work using it yet though.  I was going to have them try using JRemote, but the App Store page doesn't mention video capability and I noticed quite a few people here on the forum say videos aren't working for them anymore on it.  Plus, it's expensive and saw no mention of a trial version.  Don't want to tell them to pay $10 for something and it not help.  Lol

PS: I no longer worship at the altar of Apple, so can't advise specifically.  :

I have NEVER owned an Apple product and don't EVER intend to.  Problems like this, due to Apple's extremely limited versatility, is just one of the many reasons why!!
HTPC Setup:  Silverstone LC20-B HTPC Case|Asus H87M-E Motherboard|Seasonic Power Supply|Intel Core I5-4570S 2.9 GHZ|(2)4GB Corsair XMS3 Memory|Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD (Internal- System)|Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (Internal- Documents)|Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard|Razer Diamondback Chroma Gaming Mouse|Windows 10 64bit v.1903/ MC 25.0.113 (64-bit)|Vantec NST-640SU3-BK 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (2) 1TB Seagate Constellation ES  (MC Server Mains)|Qnap TR-004 4 Bay External Enclosure w/ (1) 3TB Seagate Ironwolf (Music Backup) & (2) 8TB Seagate Ironwolf (Video Backup)|Pioneer BDR-209D BR Drive

Home Theatre:  Logitech Harmony One Remote|Yamaha RX-V473 Rcvr.|LG 55C9 4K OLED TV| (2) Polk TSx 550T (F)| (1) Polk CS10 (C)| (4) Polk TS200 (S)| (1) Polk PSW505 (Su

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:07:41 am »

I don’t use that setup but have just tried it and it works ok. VLC on the iPhone picks up my MC media servers via the network icon and I can see videos no problem.

ScottRey269

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:54 am »

I don’t use that setup but have just tried it and it works ok. VLC on the iPhone picks up my MC media servers via the network icon and I can see videos no problem.

Thanks for replying!!

That's when you are IN network though, correct?  I'm looking for a way for them to be able to connect OUTSIDE my local network (from their house for example, not mine) and ideally be able to play my MKV files on their iPhone without me having to re-encode them all.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »

VLC, and most other similar players that can connect to a MC Server, use DLNA to connect. DLNA only works on a LAN, and not over the internet/WAN. So, no to VLC, nPlayer, etc.

You can get around that by effectively having your friend join your LAN by use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). For that to work you would need a VPN endpoint either in your router or on the MC Server, and you would need to manage IP Addresses so that your friend could connect using an IP Address rather than using the JRiver Access Key method. But you said you weren't very networking savvy, so that might be a bit much to get working. I haven't done it, but I know it can be done, but there are sometimes some issues.

However, an App that uses the JRiver Access Key method to connect can connect from outside your LAN. Apps such as JRemote, MO 4Media, and good old Gizmo. Of course, you need to set up Port Forwarding in your router to direct the external connection to your MC Server.

I use Gizmo to access my MC Server from the mobile network when I am out and about. I just tested playing some MKV movies on it, and it works fine. It's also free. But alas, only available on Android.

I don't know if JRemote will still play MKV movies, as I have never used it.

MO 4Media will play MKV movies. You can use the trial version to test if it works for you, because it will play 30 seconds of video, but you need to pay the subscription to be able to play more than 30 seconds. While developed for Android, there is an iOS version. I don't know what its capabilities are though. The author says it can play video: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119879.0.html
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »

With that setup you could also use Panel.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:59:25 pm »

With that setup you could also use Panel.

Unfortunately, Panel won't play video in a browser on iPhone, and that won't be fixed soon.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:29:02 pm »

Ok, wasnt aware of that. Edit: am now just read the next thread.

Another option is for VLC to hit the file store directly.

If you can hit the file structure remotely - bypass MC completely - VLC will be able to play it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up