INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database in read-only mode  (Read 909 times)

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
Database in read-only mode
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »

Hi

I want to load my music library located on my NAS from my mac. I'm using MediaCenter25.
Everytime I create a new library and I enter the address of the NAS, I have this warning : The data base will be opened in read-only mode

I rebooted my computer several times. Everything I found so far couldn't help me.

Is there anything that I can try?

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Database in read-only mode
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:49 am »

Hi

I want to load my music library located on my NAS from my mac. I'm using MediaCenter25.
Everytime I create a new library and I enter the address of the NAS, I have this warning : The data base will be opened in read-only mode

I rebooted my computer several times. Everything I found so far couldn't help me.

Is there anything that I can try?

Thanks
You would get that message if the place on the NAS you are trying to store the library is read-only.
You should create the library on the Mac locally (create a folder for it anywhere under the home user, the Documents directory is a good choice). The Library is the database for MC and it's settings. It's not necessarily desirable to store the library on the NAS,
The media files stay on the NAS and can be accessed whether they are read-write OR read-only.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:33:31 am »

We've been getting a lot of these kinds of questions lately.

It would be really cool to come up with some different terminology for the MC Database.  It seems like almost everyone confuses the term "Library" to mean "a directory where my media files are located".  It's very easy to do this; it seems like the natural use of the word "library".

Maybe MC should call it "Database" instead.  Or is there a better word? 

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:57 am »

We've been getting a lot of these kinds of questions lately.

It would be really cool to come up with some different terminology for the MC Database.  It seems like almost everyone confuses the term "Library" to mean "a directory where my media files are located".  It's very easy to do this; it seems like the natural use of the word "library".

Maybe MC should call it "Database" instead.  Or is there a better word? 

Brian.
That's a good point.
The database doesn't quite describe it all since it includes customized views and settings. Perhaps for the user though that may be close enough.
Changing all of that terminology in MC itself would be necessary as well.

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:38:19 pm »

Aww of course!
I was indeed confusing "Library" and "the directory where my media files are located".
I installed my Library on my local computer and it works very well.

Thank you! JRiver is really fantastic
Pages: [1]   Go Up