INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Playback / cropping black bars question  (Read 1271 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Video Playback / cropping black bars question
« on: July 05, 2020, 05:01:35 pm »

I have an ultrawide (21:9) 1080p display.

I've recently started ripping my 4K UHD blu-rays and watching them on my monitor when I don't feel like watching on my 4K TV in the living room.

I'm using madVR to convert the HDR to SDR and that's working fine.

And obviously my 1080p display is only displaying 1080 vertical pixels, despite 4K's 2160 vertical pixels. But the image is still sharper than a blu-ray, mostly because the bitrate is higher on 4K blu-rays.

So far so good.

Now, because I'm using an ultrawide monitor (21:9) I love cropping the black bars on a 2.40:1 widescreen movie and filling the entire monitor. My question is... does JRiver scale down the file to 1080 before cropping the black bars? Meaning I'm seeing less than 1080 after I crop the bars because it blows up the pixels after the crop... or does JRiver crop the 2160 file and then scale down the image to 1080 for my monitor so I'm still seeing a true 1080 pixels after cropping the bars?

I hope that makes sense.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Re: Video Playback / cropping black bars question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 05:06:26 pm »

Here's a visual aide if it helps at all. Cropped vs uncropped. Blu-Ray standards mean all content *must* be encoded at 16:9, so even wider presentations like this have black bars burned into the video content.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 05:29:37 pm »

Cropping in madVR should result in as much of the original image being displayed as fits on the screen. You can check the madVR stats to that effect  (Ctrl+J) - although the video size information is not always easy to parse when cropping is in use.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:02 pm »

Cropping in madVR should result in as much of the original image being displayed as fits on the screen. You can check the madVR stats to that effect  (Ctrl+J) - although the video size information is not always easy to parse when cropping is in use.
Thanks for the reply, here is the madVR report (not sure exactly what I should be looking for). I'm using the "Window -> Crop Black Bars" setting when I right-click on the video, not using madVR to crop (because not every movie is 2.40:1 so I don't want it as a blanket setting, only on films that use the extra widescreen format).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:33 pm »

There is a madVR thread on the doom9 forum.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:34 pm »

The "scale" line is what you are looking for. It tells you which part of the image it uses, and what it scales it to. That confirms and crops first and then scales the remainder to your screen resolution.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 09:09:54 pm »

The "scale" line is what you are looking for. It tells you which part of the image it uses, and what it scales it to. That confirms and crops first and then scales the remainder to your screen resolution.

Perfect, thanks.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:39:00 am »

Now that I've figured out how to crop the black bars using madVR... is there a way for me to bulk remove the "Crop Black Bars" setting from JRiver's video playback? I used to use the right-click option on the screen during playback. And JRiver remembers my selection for each title. I can't, however, find a tag where that selection is written, so I can't delete it. And I'd rather not manually load up hundreds of movies and check "No Cropping" on each one. Am I missing the tag where this data is stored? Is there an easy way to remove it from all titles?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 11:44:32 am »

Now that I've figured out how to crop the black bars using madVR... is there a way for me to bulk remove the "Crop Black Bars" setting from JRiver's video playback? I used to use the right-click option on the screen during playback. And JRiver remembers my selection for each title. I can't, however, find a tag where that selection is written, so I can't delete it. And I'd rather not manually load up hundreds of movies and check "No Cropping" on each one. Am I missing the tag where this data is stored? Is there an easy way to remove it from all titles?
Turns out the tag is called "Playback Info" in case anyone finds this thread in the future and wants to bulk delete the manual cropping selections (this also deletes your individual preferences for audio/video streams and subtitles for each particular title, but in my case that's fine, I just wanted to get rid of the manual cropping).
Pages: [1]   Go Up