INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to copy files?  (Read 586 times)

John Oster

• Recent member
Where to copy files?
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:46:46 pm »

I just ordered a Macbook Pro after being driven to distraction by driver problems in my Windows 10 HP laptop! Anyway, where do I copy the files from my external drive (it's FAT 32 formatted so I assume the Mac will read them) to the Mac? On Windows, I copy them to the Music directory, and JRiver knows to look there. I looked for something similar on a Macbook when I was in the Apple store, but I just saw the itunes directory. The Apple "genius" had no clue.
MacBook Pro>MC26>McIntosh MA9000>DALI Epicon2/SVS Ultra 13

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where to copy files?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:39:52 pm »

The normal place for Music files on a Mac is in the your user's Music directory.  That's right at the top level of your home directory.  There are several directories there that are "important" on a Mac:

Documents
Downloads
Movies
Music
Pictures

As you indicated, there's an ITunes directory under Music.  Which makes sense because ITunes puts it's music in the Music directory, but it makes its own directory so it will be obvious that those files are "owned" by ITunes.

I have several directories under Music like:
FLAC
MP3
downloaded_from

The first two I made back when I had quite a few MP3s and was ripping all of my CDs to FLAC.  Now I have maybe 4 or 5 albums in my MP3 directory and quite a few in my FLAC directory.  "downloaded_from" is my way of keeping track of where I got downloaded music.  For example, when I buy something from Bandcamp, I put it in the downloaded_from/bandcamp/<artist name>/<album name> directory.  That way I know where it came from if I need to know later.

When you run MC for the very first time it tries to find your music. I'm not sure where it looks, but the Music directory is probably in it's list of places to search.

But even if it doesn't look there, you can easily configure MC to find your music no matter where it is:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Folders > Add

Using that dialog you can add folders to be monitored for new music.  That way MC finds it automatically when you add music in any of your "auto import" folders.

I hope this helps clarify things and points you in the right direction.

Brian.

John Oster

• Recent member
Re: Where to copy files?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:41:45 pm »

The normal place for Music files on a Mac is in the your user's Music directory.  That's right at the top level of your home directory.  There are several directories there that are "important" on a Mac:

Documents
Downloads
Movies
Music
Pictures

Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you, Brian.
MacBook Pro>MC26>McIntosh MA9000>DALI Epicon2/SVS Ultra 13
Pages: [1]   Go Up