INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Control  (Read 680 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Remote Control
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »

On another posting have discussed greatly the topic of "remote control". MCC Codes work somewhat, but the crucial one "play/pause" does not work if MC in not in focus. This was verified by one of your beta testers. Also we worked on Options, Remote Control, Remote Control Setup". Commands appears to be totally disconnected, can not upload IR codes, testing shows there is no connection to MCC Codes, I tried deleting the commands I can sent from Harmony, like play, stop, FF, Back, Rewind and skip. They still work. I tried disabling all the "Devices & Options" no change. Section needs to be activated, tested and add a feature that when one of the commands is received, the command is highlighted one way or another to verify it is actually received. Also, when restoring the default list, there are no "Learned Tripper Code." And none can be loaded.

MC should be considered for remote control the same as a smart TV, disc player, A/V controller and what not. Supply to each of the vendors of these devices with a full set of IR codes and recommended and tested IR receivers. The entire commands list should be included and be open to suggestions, like make it possible to trigger each of the Car Radio Buttons.

Playing ripped audio Cd's is my only use for MC, The greatest and most significant improvement is adding the option when selecting smart playlist and radio buttons to start playback as last played track.

I see comments about trying to improve audio leveling. I believe this concept is too much of a subjective subject to ever work well. I have put forward several times before, When the MC volume control is changed, save that setting in the album file and when playback is started again or next album starts playback, the level is automatically changed, I programed this on a very different system and it works 100%, once listened to you never touch the level again. Also new idea, some CD's the level between tracks is poorly balanced. Add a "audio level trim" adjustment -10 - 0 +10 or as appropriate and this saved to a new tag field. As the albums and tracks change the volume level is adjusted by MC.

There is much needed to be done to save our titling and artwork in the CD data base or make a user data base so when disaster strikes, which it will" re-ripping is a snap. Or not as painful as starting from scratch. This data base needs to be updated when we correct items in the Main data base. Also address the problem of the same CDID code applying to more than one issue. I have several Cd's that are issued in single and part of boxed sets.

Well, that is a lot to digest, Regards, Harroun

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Control
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:20 pm »

Harroun4, this is offtopic a bit but I did explain how to get Remote Control IR commands to work even when MC was not in focus. It was a bit of a long post, as I explained how I tested it, but the essence was:

So I went back and learned the IR Code for Play/Pause using the Play button on the remote. MC then responded to the Play button on the remote by Playing/Pausing tracks in Playing Now, whether MC was in focus or not.

I left it for you to test other IR Commands.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:42 am »

Whowa. I guess I did not explain fully. I don't have a physical remote unit. All I have is Logitech's "Media Center PC SE". I tried to send it's play command to MC's list of command for "Play/Pause" and can not be received. So I am dead in the water on that. So, to make this work I remove the IR receiver and go back to using FLIRC and load the necessary commands to it. This works nicely, but limited to the basic commands.

I am still not understanding the Commands window/screen. The column "Learned Trigger Code" shows only question mark for all. Does your computer show something different?

Now I am wondering if perhaps Harmony code for play is corrupted?? I can not have both FLIRC and separate IR receiver both exposed to the Harmony transmissions. This doubles up the commands.

A new thought on this subject. In the Learned Trigger Code list, we should be able to edit or type in the codes manually. Now in my case I can find the codes on Remote Control Central rather that having to find and buy the correct remote unit. And I would surely like to see the command indicate when it receives the IR code. Like high light the entire line in red.

Sorry to take up so much time.  Regards, Harroun

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:40:58 am »

Harroun4, this is offtopic a bit but I did explain how to get Remote Control IR commands to work even when MC was not in focus. It was a bit of a long post, as I explained how I tested it, but the essence was:

I left it for you to test other IR Commands.
I think he's not running Media Server.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:27:07 pm »

I don't have a physical remote unit. All I have is Logitech's "Media Center PC SE"

But... you actually have a handheld Logitech Harmony remote with buttons and an IR emitter right?  Or no?

So, to make this work I remove the IR receiver and go back to using FLIRC and load the necessary commands to it. This works nicely, but limited to the basic commands.

FLIRC is not limited in any way to "basic commands".  FLIRC lets you teach any remote that sends IR how to send keyboard commands.  Those keyboard commands are picked up by whatever programs are running on your PC.  This includes MC.  Any keyboard command you can use with MC can be used with FLIRC.  You just pick the remote button you want to use and then teach FLIRC which keyboard command to send when it sees the proper IR button press on your remote.

Further, MC has a keyboard mapping system so you can teach it new keyboard keys to do any MC function in the MCC set (Mediacenter Core Commands).

As you can tell, using FLIRC is quite different than using MC's built in remote support.  It's important to distinguish the two because their mechanisms are totally different.  Unfortunately, one of your goals is to send remote commands while MC is *not* in focus.  In those cases, FLIRC just won't work for you, since FLIRC is essentially a keyboard.  If you can do it with a keyboard, you can do it with a remote and FLIRC.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:20 pm »

There is much needed to be done to save our titling and artwork in the CD data base or make a user data base so when disaster strikes, which it will" re-ripping is a snap.

You've talked about this quite a few times in different threads.  I don't get it.  I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs I have ripped.  It took a very long time.  Getting the art correct and the metadata correct took a lot of time too.

So what would I do if the internal disk on my computer died?  I would restore a backup from one of my external drives.  This includes my songs and my MC database.  My MC database has all of the metadata.  The song files have nearly all of the metadata.  The artwork is inside the song files.  So I can't lose the art unless I lose the song.  ...and I have backups of all of the songs.

I don't understand why you would expect to have to re-rip your discs ever.  Do you have backups?  If not, you should.  The amount of money it takes to get an extra drive and do backups is small compared to the hundreds of hours it would take to re-rip hundreds of CDs.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up