INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grouping album by tag inside Album View  (Read 766 times)

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
Grouping album by tag inside Album View
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:12:39 am »

Hello

Multi-disk album are grouped by default if the names of the different albums are the same (then adding Disc1, Disc2...). I like this feature, but I prefer to name the albums in a more specific way, for ease of browsing.

I'd like to create the same behaviour with a custom "Collection" tag: under the "Albums" view, I would like to see albums grouped by Collection if they belong to a collection (the thumbnail will then look like a pack of thumbnails on top of each others), or alone if they don't belong to a collection (the thumbnail will look 'normal').

How can I group albums in this way please?

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
Re: Grouping album by tag inside Album View
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 07:55:00 am »

Anyone can help on this?

Another way of asking the question : is there a way to configure the multi-disc recognition in JRiver?
I'd like the grouping of the disks to be based on another tag than "album" and "album artist".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:01:18 am »

There is a Disc # tag.  Are you using it?

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 09:43:34 am »

Yes I use it.

But actually I change the album name for ease of browsing.

For example I have a 10 albums collection "Beethoven  - Piano Sonatas - D. Barenboim"
I changed every album name to match what is inside.

Instead of having :

Beethoven  - Piano Sonatas - D. Barenboim - Disc 1,
then Disc 2 and so on, I have :

Beethoven  - Piano Sonatas 13, 15 & 26- D. Barenboim
Beethoven  - Piano Sonatas 1, 5 & 22 - D. Barenboim
Beethoven  - Piano Sonatas 4, 5 & 18 - D. Barenboim

That way I can find a specific sonata much faster

But now the album name is not the same anymore; so JRiver cannot group those albums as as multi-disc album of course.

I'm looking for another way to group albums : grouping album on the basis of a custom tag for example, or change the default behaviour of grouping multi-disc by album and albumartist tag

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:05:11 pm »

You should be able to define a new MC field called something like [Album Group].  Then you can set your main albums view to group by that tag instead of [Album].

But this gets tricky because any album that does not have a value for [Album Group] will all be grouped into one big group, since their values will all be blank.

So, you probably want to do this:

[Album Group Manual] = Field where you put Album Group information for those albums that need it.
[Album Group] = A calculated field.  This field takes it's value from [Album Group Manual] if it has a value.  If it does not a have a value, then it takes it's value from [Album]

That way [Album Group] always has a proper value, but you can override it at any time by typing a value into [Album Group Manual].

I believe this will work the way you want it to, but I'm not sure.  You'll need to do some testing.  Creating a few field is easy.  Creating new views is easy. 

Before you begin, think about what you want to see at what level.  For example, when you see an album gruop like "Beethoven Piano Sonatas" and you click on it, what should you see next?  The individual albums?

If that's what you want, then this gets weird because your album group for regular albums will end up showing you the album group (which is the album name) and then the album name (same name) on two different levels.  Is that OK?  If it's not, then I'm not sure what to recommend.

Perhaps you want a new view that is ONLY for album groups.  That way you can have three levels (Album Group, Album, Songs) and it will be consistent.

I hope this gives you some good info to think about and experiment with.

Brian.

Bernard Victor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 12:08:04 pm »

Thank you very much Brian; what you said is exactly what I'm looking for. And it works very well

Before you begin, think about what you want to see at what level.  For example, when you see an album gruop like "Beethoven Piano Sonatas" and you click on it, what should you see next?  The individual albums?

Yes exactly

If that's what you want, then this gets weird because your album group for regular albums will end up showing you the album group (which is the album name) and then the album name (same name) on two different levels.  Is that OK?

It is quite ok; and when I have the display I want, if I put the mouse over the thumnail of the file who does not belong to a collection, JRiver shows me several choices: Album or Files : if I click on 'Files' I can display the files directly. So even this little problem can be bypassed.

Thank you again Brian

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 03:15:59 pm »

Wow, that was easy.  :)

I'm happy to hear this worked out for you.  This is one of the most powerful parts of MC.  It's view system is very flexible and can be configured in many ways.  Including your new way.  :)

Take care,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up