INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver vs VLC for DTS ?  (Read 1372 times)

esotericxa

• Recent member
  • Another Aussie, here to learn and help
JRiver vs VLC for DTS ?
« on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:46 am »

Aha, so ok, found time for next question please.
If one googles "JRiver vs VLC for DTS"  there are a long list of people over years...…….

Appearing to ask the question as to why VLC works and JRiver does not. I will clarify that a bit further on.

However, so far I have not spotted a clear answer to the question.

The observation that ;
VLC always sends these files to an external processor which then detect the DTS stream and decodes it accordingly.
JRiver on the other hand, never does this for some people, and some times does for me, but not very often.
I can not make it do it when I want, even for the same items that have worked via JRiver many time before.
The capability seems to come and go with the winds of upgrades or phases of the moon, no idea which or what.

I really have no idea why this would be an issue that has not been dealt with for such a long time, (years and years) in a manner that means it either now never happens or there is a clear set of steps, perhaps in a sticky some where to deal with this.

There are a lot of questions here, and I am tempted to go on, but, this simple start may well, hopefully take me some way towards understanding.

Thanks again all.

Sys1: W10 DH77EB i5, MC31, RX 550 4G DDR5, Thru to
Rotel RSP1570 Controller, Pana VT 3D 55" Plasma,
4 x Rotel RB981 amps.Spkrs:5x AR6 2x AR7 big Sub (7.1)
Sys2:Optiplex 7060i5 RX-550 4G DDR5 
Sys3:Optiplex 9020i5 RX-550 4G DDR5
Both drive Pana ST 3D 50" Plasma , JBL 7.1 Atmos speakers Via the same Marantz NR 1607

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver vs VLC for DTS ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 02:20:40 am »

As far as we've gotten feedback so far, Bitstreaming of videos seems reliable for people. This is the first time I hear someone saying that its not.
The only reason it would be  "randomly" failing would be the audio driver doing weird things, so I would suggest trying a different output plugin (ie. WASAPI vs DirectSound, other options then those two afaik don't do bitstreaming at all)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 06:16:50 am »

judging from the question ... it seems you do not fully understand how MC process audio

MC can do 2 things:

1. decode audio to PCM (whether from DTS, Dolby, DSD, etc ... only thing MC cannot atm decode are object based metadata DTS-X or Atmos ... it will decode their base layers DTS-HDMA or TrueHD ... but will ignore object based metadata due to licensing)

2. bitstream audio to receiver (it simply means MC will not decode anything and send untouched audio stream to receiver to decode) ... in this case your receiver will shiw what stream it receives, DTS, TrueHD, etc

there is settng in MC that controls this ... if you set yours to bitsream but your receiver does nit receive original audio stream ... then something is wrong with your audio driver like Hendrick mention

keep in mind that some Blurays do not come with DTS or Dolby, but with plain PCM ... also sone ppl rip their bluray and choose in the process to decode DTS/Dolby to PCM and compressed that to flac (what i am saying is check you file whether it actyally have DTS or Dolby)

advantage of lettung MC to decode to PCM ... is that MC then can apply DSP (digital signal processing) ... styff like room correction ... volume leveling (basically wgen you play audio ... MC outputs tgem at sane vilume level)

if you wondering about quality ... it is still bit perfect (only thing tou be missing out is object based stuff from dtsx or atmos ... in those cases you want to bitstream and let receiver decode that)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:23:59 pm »

Is the OP asking about DTS CD rips?  Those things are totally weird:  DTS encoded bitstream sitting inside a CDDA container on the CD disk.  Then it's ripped to a WAV and is still "DTS inside of a WAV container".

Those require some unusual configuration to make them work.  Perhaps that's what is being asked?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up