INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still having issues with moving from Drive:\M (internal) to Drive:\N (external)  (Read 1411 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

OK, I tried how-to instructions on getting files already copied (using FILE COPY) from internal drive to external drive.

1) Auto-Import OFF;
2) Files copied from <C:\Users\Frank\Music\Frank's Music>
to <Frank's Music Library (K:)\Frank's Music>

3) Went to "Rename,Move,Copy" and selected choice #2 "Update database to point to new location"
3a) In top dialog box entered <C:\Users\Frank\Music\Frank's Music>
3b) In bottom dialog box entered <Frank's Music Library (K:)\Frank's Music>
NOTE: Might have been nice is there was a [Browse] option for these entries (unless I missed the objective totally).

4) Hit OK, closed MC and reopened;

5) Spot inspection indicates that path not changed from C... to K...?! 
Sorry I am not getting this.

Detailed instructions on using the MOVE function may be best option (after emptying Drive K).

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

In Find & Replace:

Find What: C:\Users\Frank\Music\
Replace With: K:\

Preview changes in the preview pane.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Plus uncheck "Directories" and "Filename" checkboxes, and probably the "Move all non-imported..." one.

Check the "Find & Replace" checkbox to enable the option of course.

The "Update database to point to new location" should then work for you, and is best as you have already copied the files over.

Also, I just looked and the "Find & Replace" function doesn't provide a preview. I didn't know that. So test with a few files before updating for all your Library.
EDIT: Preview does work using the "Find & Replace" function, when the operator doesn't screw up using it!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

In Find & Replace:

Find What: C:\Users\Frank\Music\
Replace With: K:\

Preview changes in the preview pane.

Thanks.

OK, just tried entering FIND and REPLACE as noted above.

Looks like there is a problem since seems to want to do only 1 album/folder at a time (which shows in preview box on right)?! 

How do I get F&R to do entire drive on C:\?

Do the F&R fields need to include <Frank's Music>?

blgentry

Also, I just looked and the "Find & Replace" function doesn't provide a preview. I didn't know that. So test with a few files before updating for all your Library.

Are you using Rename, Move, and Copy to test this? I think you are based on what you said above.  I ask because:

1.  I just tested this and it works correctly for me with MC25.0.something on Mac.  Meaning that I filled out the find and replace box in RM&C and the preview shows what I expect, replacing some text with other text.
2.  There's a standalone Find and Replace function (which I dislike) that's outside of RM&C and maybe that's what you meant.

Brian.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

Thanks.

OK, just tried entering FIND and REPLACE as noted above.

Looks like there is a problem since seems to want to do only 1 album/folder at a time (which shows in preview box on right)?! 

How do I get F&R to do entire drive on C:\?

Do the F&R fields need to include <Frank's Music>?

You need to select a view that contains all of your files (likely the top-level Audio view) and then select all (either Ctrl-A or Edit>Select All) and then hit F6 key or right-click>Library Tools>RM&C. I believe that <Frank's Music> is just the drive name, not part of the path, so it should not be included.

1.  I just tested this and it works correctly for me with MC25.0.something on Mac.  Meaning that I filled out the find and replace box in RM&C and the preview shows what I expect, replacing some text with other text.

Works for me also.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Not sure what the problem is, so back to basics.

Initial Location          C:\Users\Frank\Music\Frank's Music

New Location            K:\Frank's Music

In Media Center

Select tracks

Right Click

Library Tools

Rename, Move & Copy

In RM&C Tool

Update Database to Point to New Location

Find What                C:\Users\Frank\Music

Replace With            K:

It will replace exactly what you tell it to. It has not understanding of folder structures or anything else. It is a literal find and replace.

You can do this on any files you select. It can be one album or the entire library. Just select what you want to change.   The preview will show you the changes.  Make sure the preview shows what you want.

If the files have been moved correctly, you should Update rather than Rename. Update will update just the database. Rename will do that also, but if you make a mistake it will also move the files.

If Update does not seem to work, try Rename on a few tracks. There may be an issue with your folder names.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

Just tried the recs...

Neither Ctrl A or Edit > Select ALl selected albums in AUDIO > RECENT ALBUMS (which contains all folders/albums).

So...clicked on first album to highlight and then CTRL and scrolled to include all albums.

Hit go and now when I click on an album, all the contents are jumbled!?

Why is this so difficult?  Someone is doing steps w/o noting them?

blgentry

I do not have a view called "Recent Albums" in my Audio tree.  So I'm not sure what yours shows.

But let me outline the process for you so you can understand it:

We are trying to select all FILES.  This is easiest if we use a view that shows individual files, and not album covers that you have to drill down into, or album covers that you need to try to select some how.  So let's start with a view like that.  How about Audio > Files .  It's a Panes view, which shows a giant list of files underneath the selection panes at the top.

So, go to the left navigation area, click on Audio, and then click on Files.  In the big main area, you should now see the Files view with Panes up top, and all of your files down below.  From here you can select all files:  Click on any one file.  Now your mouse is focused in the files area.  Press control-a, or do Edit > Select all.  Now all of your files are selected.

You can optionally select only files on a specific drive.  If you only have one drive, this is not necessary.  If you have more than one drive, you will want to make sure you get this right.

So, all files are selected.  Now just open RM&C:  Tools > Library Tools > Rename, MOve, and Copy Files

You should now see your giant list of files, ordered in the same way they were in the Files display that you selected them from.

I hope that helps!

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

I do not have a view called "Recent Albums" in my Audio tree.  So I'm not sure what yours shows.

But let me outline the process for you so you can understand it:

We are trying to select all FILES.  This is easiest if we use a view that shows individual files, and not album covers that you have to drill down into, or album covers that you need to try to select some how.  So let's start with a view like that.  How about Audio > Files .  It's a Panes view, which shows a giant list of files underneath the selection panes at the top.

So, go to the left navigation area, click on Audio, and then click on Files.  In the big main area, you should now see the Files view with Panes up top, and all of your files down below.  From here you can select all files:  Click on any one file.  Now your mouse is focused in the files area.  Press control-a, or do Edit > Select all.  Now all of your files are selected.

You can optionally select only files on a specific drive.  If you only have one drive, this is not necessary.  If you have more than one drive, you will want to make sure you get this right.

So, all files are selected.  Now just open RM&C:  Tools > Library Tools > Rename, MOve, and Copy Files

You should now see your giant list of files, ordered in the same way they were in the Files display that you selected them from.

I hope that helps!

Brian.

OK, will try latest instructions.

Do I need to do LIBRARY > RESTORE to put Humpty back together again before doing what you suggest?

blgentry

If your current library is wrong, then I would definitely restore back to a point where it was correct before starting.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

I am a Standard View/Album Cover guy, not a Panes guy. You can go to the Albums View with all the album covers and just select all the album covers by clicking on the first one then holding down Shift and clicking on the last one.  That will select all the tracks/files. Selecting one cover will select the tracks for that album, which is a good test.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

I am a Standard View/Album Cover guy, not a Panes guy. You can go to the Albums View with all the album covers and just select all the album covers by clicking on the first one then holding down Shift and clicking on the last one.  That will select all the tracks/files. Selecting one cover will select the tracks for that album, which is a good test.

I did this and it resulted in many of the album covers having the incorrect contents.  Something got jumbled?!

If your current library is wrong, then I would definitely restore back to a point where it was correct before starting.

Brian.

OK, will try.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

I did this and it resulted in many of the album covers having the incorrect contents.  Something got jumbled?!

OK, will try.

Used the select <FILES> method but had to select the first and then scroll to bottom.
Then F&R worked fine.   ;D ;D

Will not do right away but can't wait to clean out C:\.

While we are on the subject do I need to relocate the LIBRARY BACKUPS or other files/folders?

Thanks, Guys!

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Glad it is working!

Not sure why you get jumble files when selecting in album mode. I do not, but who knows.  All long as you got it to work.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

Glad it is working!

Not sure why you get jumble files when selecting in album mode. I do not, but who knows.  All long as you got it to work.

Me too!  But did figure you Citizens would figure it out.

Do I need to relocate the LIBRARY BACKUPS or other files/folders?

dtc

• MC Beta Team

You only need to relocate the backups or other folders if you wish to. Generally, it is best to leave them on a internal drive.  But you can move the backups, for example, to a location that you remember and gets backed up regularly if you wish.

blgentry

As dtc said, make sure that your MC backups are going to a directory that gets backed up somehow.  Because if you lose your internal drive, you will lose your MC database *and* it's backups!  Which make the MC backups a lot less useful.  Back up your MC backup files so you can restore the MC database in the event that your internal drive fails.

This goes double for your media files.  Make sure they are being backed up.

What about "other files" ?  MC has several different options for storing Album Art.  If your album art is in the same folders as your music files then you are probably OK.   However, a lot of people use the MC option that stores all of the album art in one central directory.  That directory is usually on the internal drive (C:).  So again, you need to make sure that directory is backed up if you use this method.

I personally really like the MC setting that stores the album art *inside* the music files.
Tools > Options > File Location > Cover art > also store image in the file's tag > (checked)

This is nice because they your album art is "stuck" to your audio files and can not be lost or separated.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

I personally really like the MC setting that stores the album art *inside* the music files.
Tools > Options > File Location > Cover art > also store image in the file's tag > (checked)
Brian.

As Brian suggests, I store all my album art inside the media files. I also have a Smartlist that shows any files that do not have the image "Inside File".  I check the Smartlist periodically, especially when I am adding albums.  I backup the media files, the library and the library  backups every day to a separate drive.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Are you using Rename, Move, and Copy to test this? I think you are based on what you said above.  I ask because:

I was surprised it didn't work. I just tested again and found it does, if it finds the folder structure in the Find field. I quickly tested using previous values that defaulted to the Find field, and MC didn't find what was in there, so it didn't show a Preview.

My bad. Thanks for correcting me.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

Ruh, Roh!

Everything was working fine after doing F&R yesterday.  Random albums played fine.

Shut the system down overnight.

Today, booted system and opened MC to import several albums which were manually copied over (my standard practice).  One imported fine and plays.
However, when I go to import the other albums, I go to BROWSE but the only album that shows in the target drive is the first album?!
Using File Explorer, all albums show in the drive.

Shutting MC and rebooting the computer does not correct the issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I assume that you changed your Auto Import settings to point to the new location "K:\Frank's Music", right? If yes, then...

If the album may have been imported in the past:
1. Uncheck the "Ignore files previously removed from library" checkbox in the Auto Import settings and import again.
OR
2. Search the forum for "Removed Database" and learn how to delete records from that database so that previously removed files can be imported again.

If the album could never have been imported before:
3. Use the MC "Left Navigation pane > Drives & Devices > Explorer" function to drill down to where the files are, with the "Show only files in Library" at the top unchecked. When you find the files, tick that checkbox and see if they disappear.
       If they disappear, they haven't been imported. See above to fix.
       If they stay visible, they have been imported and just aren't visible in the View you were using. The tags will be incorrect. Select them and fix their tags so that they will be visible.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen

I assume that you changed your Auto Import settings to point to the new location "K:\Frank's Music", right? If yes, then...

If the album may have been imported in the past:
1. Uncheck the "Ignore files previously removed from library" checkbox in the Auto Import settings and import again.
OR
2. Search the forum for "Removed Database" and learn how to delete records from that database so that previously removed files can be imported again.

If the album could never have been imported before:
3. Use the MC "Left Navigation pane > Drives & Devices > Explorer" function to drill down to where the files are, with the "Show only files in Library" at the top unchecked. When you find the files, tick that checkbox and see if they disappear.
       If they disappear, they haven't been imported. See above to fix.
       If they stay visible, they have been imported and just aren't visible in the View you were using. The tags will be incorrect. Select them and fix their tags so that they will be visible.

I have never used AUTO IMPORT, so does pointing to "K:\Frank's Music" matter?

To clarify, when I do FILE > LIBRARY > iMPORT > IMPORT SINGLE FOLDER > BROWSE,
I scroll to "K:\ Frank's Music \ Frank's Music", the only choice available is a recently downloaded album that I want to add to the LIBRARY. This album was successfully imported and plays.  Hundreds of albums, previously imported and showing in Frank's Music, are not in the BROWSE pulldown?!

Why is MC not "seeing" the other albums in Frank's Music?

ADDENDUM: For whatever reason, the full library did show up but only briefly?! and has now gone back to showing only one album.
The other thing I noticed is that Dynamic Ranges that had been run on previous imports are now missing for random album.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Riddle me this...
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 10:12:09 am »

I have never used AUTO IMPORT, so does pointing to "K:\Frank's Music" matter?

To clarify, when I do FILE > LIBRARY > iMPORT > IMPORT SINGLE FOLDER > BROWSE,
I scroll to "K:\ Frank's Music \ Frank's Music", the only choice available is a recently downloaded album that I want to add to the LIBRARY. This album was successfully imported and plays.  Hundreds of albums, previously imported and showing in Frank's Music, are not in the BROWSE pulldown?!

Why is MC not "seeing" the other albums in Frank's Music?

ADDENDUM: For whatever reason, the full library did show up but only briefly?! and has now gone back to showing only one album.
The other thing I noticed is that Dynamic Ranges that had been run on previous imports are now missing for random album.

Well, I am at a total loss to explain what has happened over the past couple of days!  Without making any MC changes and just shutting down PC in the evening and restarting the next morning, MC seems to have found the other folders/albums in the Library drive?!  DR data is there as well.  I have been able to manually import (my SOP) approx a dozen albums without issue.

Glad I did not have to get the Captain (of the) Universe involved... ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up