INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live TV does not use Display Switching options  (Read 1757 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Live TV does not use Display Switching options
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:07:51 pm »

I'm not sure if this is "by design" but I have found that Live TV payback (PAL for me) does not use the Display Settings options under video to switch the display to the correct refresh rate.

I discovered this after battling with poor live TV playback for a while and couldn't work out why my display was at 25Hz not 50Hz for Live TV when it was 50Hz for recorded TV.

It was because my "Display #1" in Options/Tree & View was set to 25Hz and the display switching/settings in the Options/Video are being ignored.

Cheers
Richard

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Live TV does not use Display Switching options
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 04:45:37 pm »

You are correct. Well done finding that.

Live TV follows the setting at "Options > Tree & View > Full Screen (Display View, Theatre View, etc.) > Resolution".

While Video playback, including recorded TV, follows the setting at "Options > Video > Display Settings".

I never noticed because my Tree & View settings were set to Desktop, and my Desktop was set to 50Hz.

I think that would be unintentional, and may even explain some issues with Live TV playback, which sometimes seems to work less well than Video playback for some users.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:27:27 pm »

I've done a bit more testing and I may be wrong but it appears to me that when playing Live TV the resolution switches as per the Display Settings but NOT the refresh rate.

Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:37:21 am »

I have added this to MC26 (build 6 and up):

1. NEW: Added context menu "Window\Screen Resolution", to allow changing display settings (screen resolution and refresh rate) during live TV playback.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:33 pm »

I have added this to MC26 (build 6 and up):

1. NEW: Added context menu "Window\Screen Resolution", to allow changing display settings (screen resolution and refresh rate) during live TV playback.

Thanks, but shouldn't Live TV follow the Display Settings rules set under Video playback and set the resolution/refresh rate based on those settings if they are set?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:26:52 pm »

Thanks, but shouldn't Live TV follow the Display Settings rules set under Video playback and set the resolution/refresh rate based on those settings if they are set?

Yes, except that the whole thing is based on the frame rate of the video being played.  For now, the TV channels do not have frame rate attached to them.  You can try setting the frame rate for the channels manually and see if it works as you expect.

Maybe we can just "guess" the frame rate for TV stations: 59.94 for ATSC TV and 50 for DVB.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:22 pm »

For now, the TV channels do not have frame rate attached to them. 

Ah, I didn't realise this, that would explain why it doesn't change.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:18:24 am »

Maybe we can just "guess" the frame rate for TV stations: 59.94 for ATSC TV and 50 for DVB.

It's a a bit of a hack but it should work (or use the "Country" in the TV Options).  The ATSC spec as an example allows all sorts of Frame Rates (including 24p/25p/50i etc) but I just don't know that anyone uses anything other than 59.94?

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up