INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Media Sub Types?  (Read 2402 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New Media Sub Types?
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:13:34 pm »

Matt always says if we can make simple requests here for which there is consensus or a compelling reason, to post them and the list can be expanded. I try to use special handling of [Genre] and [Keywords] to reduce the need for expansions of the Media Sub Types list, whenever possible, but there's one which just comes up again and again for me. And I think it is time to ask for it. I know it has been requested before, but never quite implemented.

Animation
(Or Anime, comic, or even cartoon if you insist, but I like Animation because it is the broadest.)

I have TV Shows which are Animated, which have their own Genres, but which I'd like to handle specially in some cases and not have them mixed in with my other shows, because they're fundamentally organized differently.

Similarly, I have Anime Movies, which often require their own "section" in my Library. Likewise, Comic "Books" (in a variety of formats) which need their own category to distinguish them from other documents and images.

So, can we get Animation?

(And, if anyone else has any they can justify clearly, this thread is here for you. Why don't we try limiting yourself to one you've clearly thought about for a bit and for which you have have a distinct use-case in mind, just because it keeps you sharp.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New Media Sub Types?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:00:21 am »

Sure thing.

I'm adding it to the next build of MC 26.

The history:
NEW: Added the media subtype Animation.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 08:24:04 am »

I'm not sure I agree that Media Sub Type should have more values than it does already.  It's a weird field.  Ostensibly it is supposed to be used for high level categorization into major views.  Like Movies and TV Shows for example.  Animation isn't that big of a category.  Even "kids" isn't at the right level of intent for this field.

As it is, I think it has way too many entries.  Most of what's in Media Sub Type should be in Genre, Keywords, or some other field.  As I said, it's a weird field because it's supposed to be used for non-Genre type duties (because Genre already exists), yet it's mixed in with high level Genres.  Maybe a new field like "Super Genre" would be smarter to use.

I obviously do not have any real suggestions.  Just starting a conversation.

Brian.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:08:38 pm »

The only subtype anomaly I have in my library is for standup comedy. Lot's of them are from TV but they were specials not series, many others are from dvd releases but they aren't movies. Lately a lot of comedians simply release their shows on youtube or as a download. It would be nice to be able to toss these under the subtype "Stand-Up".

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:16:36 pm »

"Stand-Up" feels way too specific to me. Its a Sub-Genre of the Comedy Genre, which is exactly the problem Brian mentions, thats not what its for.

It should define the characteristics/classification of a video in the sense of its source, its runtime, its typical modus of consumption. Maybe a type of "Web Clip" or something makes sense to add, but not any arbitrary genres.
Similarly, I wouldn't have added "Animation", it makes no difference if a show is animated or real-life acting, if you want special behavior for a sub-section of shows, use Genre or Keywords, or what I did was define my  own field to help in view building, which gives me all the flexibility in the world.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »

"Stand-Up" feels way too specific to me.
True. Could use "Performer", "Performance", "Speaker", "Allocution" or "Parlance".

Thinking more I suppose whatever this new subtype I'm asking for is called could also include lectures. Ted Talk type videos. I have a lot of these but they are currently under documentaries.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »

Similarly, I wouldn't have added "Animation", it makes no difference if a show is animated or real-life acting, if you want special behavior for a sub-section of shows, use Genre or Keywords, or what I did was define my  own field to help in view building, which gives me all the flexibility in the world.

Agreed. I stopped trying to use Media Sub Type because it is just a hodgepodge of special types. I also do not understand "Entertainment". Pretty much everything in MC is entertainment.  At one point I think it was suppose to be used for special actions within MC, like copying to handhelds, but I think it has outgrown that usage. Honestly, I am not sure what it is useful for in its current form.

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »

I personally flag "Animations" as either TV or Movie depending on what they are and then have a custom "Animation Type" that I populate with Eastern or Western. If Animation is added as a Media Subtype, how would you propose distinguishing Anime episodes from Superman cartoons from Marvel movies from Anime OVAs?

Absinthe

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 10:04:38 pm »

I make heavy use of Media Sub Type.  My media type audio is broken down into Podcasts, Music and Audiobooks.  Video is broken down into Movies, TV, and Music Video.  Im kind of the other side of the fence from bigentry, I don't feel Audiobooks, Podcasts and Music Video's are genres

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:17 am »

I make heavy use of Media Sub Type.  My media type audio is broken down into Podcasts, Music and Audiobooks.  Video is broken down into Movies, TV, and Music Video.  Im kind of the other side of the fence from bigentry, I don't feel Audiobooks, Podcasts and Music Video's are genres

IMHO, those are good subtypes, as they are not "genres" as much as formats of audio/video. Podcasts, music or audiobooks have very different properties independent of their actual content.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »

IMHO, those are good subtypes, as they are not "genres" as much as formats of audio/video. Podcasts, music or audiobooks have very different properties independent of their actual content.

I agree generally, and that's why I resisted asking for this one for so long.

But this particular one keeps biting me, and using [Genre] hasn't always been successful, in particular because it sometimes fights with the auto-metadata lookup system.

(I don't get the new Entertainment type either, btw. I assume someone "important" asked for it, as I didn't see the request.)

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 02:35:25 pm »

But this particular one keeps biting me, and using [Genre] hasn't always been successful, in particular because it sometimes fights with the auto-metadata lookup system.

Not sure if you saw my post, but so I can maybe improve my own system, what are you trying to do that would be better served with a Subtype of Animation vs (say for an anime movie) a Subtype of Movie and a custom field?

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:27 pm »

I agree generally, and that's why I resisted asking for this one for so long.

(I don't get the new Entertainment type either, btw. I assume someone "important" asked for it, as I didn't see the request.)

I was asking for Entertainment, not sure what to do with youtube videos like Game Videos, Spoofs, Mashups, Parodies, and just funny videos that I have downloaded.

I put things like Sermons, Classes, Documentaries under Educational so you would think if you have that, you would have another one for Entertainment.

----
But your right Media Sub Type is getting rather large.
I do put things like Animation or Cartoons under what I call "Sub Type 2" which would fall under Movies Or TV Shows.
All my Music Videos are also "Sub Type 2" - Sub Type Music (thinking of doing concerts the same way.)
And will probably put my Sports videos under "Sub Type 2" now that I have Entertainment along with Comedian shows.
----

Maybe they should create a secondary sub type for all these new fields we keep asking for.
Or at least a starter list that we can modify.
But doing that at this point might just mess everyone up.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 04:52:25 am »

Talking about additional media sub types, I would LOVE an "Extras" (or whatever name you see fit) category for all the DVD & Blurays contents... The "Other" category is getting crowded...
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 08:14:25 am »

Talking about additional media sub types, I would LOVE an "Extras" (or whatever name you see fit) category for all the DVD & Blurays contents... The "Other" category is getting crowded...

Coming next build of MC26.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »

Woot! That's one I can get behind for classifying Anime OP/EPs!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 08:54:12 am »

Nice. I'll use that one too.

Buldarged

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 06:47:09 am »

I like the Animation media sub type. However, currently "Get Movie & TV Info" does only work for Movies and TV Shows, even though TheTVDB have lots of Animes listed.
I would suggest to use either an TheTVDB or an IMDB lookup, depending on if the values Series, Season and Episode are set.
I would also recommend to allow "Get Movie & TV Info" for any Media Sub Type if either TheTVDB series id or IMDB id is set.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 07:36:29 am »

I think it's a good idea.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:42 pm »

Another reason why Animation isn't a great Sub Type. ;) An Animated 30 minute program is still a TV Show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up