INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RFE: Remote Server 1.14  (Read 1808 times)

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • TiVo-aholic
RFE: Remote Server 1.14
« on: May 02, 2003, 08:06:35 am »

Great job on the remote server.  But I have a couple of requests.

Features -->
1)  Clear Playing Now button at top of Playing Now screen.
2)  Remove buttons next to each song on Playing Now screen.
3)  Playlists ... I haven't got a clue how there are sorted, but could they better represent the actual playlist order that is in MC?

Visuals -->
Can you put some graphics into this interface ? Just something simple?

tom-chang

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: RFE: Web Remote Server
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 06:59:26 am »

One more request...
Can you add the Zone controls from the web server component?

Thanks.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 10:26:56 am »

Why not just install NetRemote? You can do that and much more with that and Girder!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 12:43:11 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something ... How does NetRemote help me change the music that is playing in my home living room, when Im at my work PC?  Isn't NetRemote for Pronto's and such?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 01:19:50 pm »

I am going to be a little vague in my answer, as I do not use Net Remote.  I use Glissando, which is just another interface that uses the Web Remote Server Software like Net Remote does.  

Net Remote allows you to control MC from a separate machine on your network.  You have your "server" set up with MC on it, and on your other machine in your office or wherever, you load the Net Remote or Glissando software, and when you fire up that software, it communicates with MC via the Web Remote Server software, so that you can control what music is going to play on the "server" machine.  The only other thing you have to do, is to hook that "server" machine to whatever type of output device you wish, such as a home stereo.  If you do a search on Net Remote, or Glissando, you may find some other threads that go into more detail.

Hope this helps.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 01:26:44 pm »

I missed something in drosoph's post.  There may be some confusion in what you were asking.  There are two types of servers.  Remote Server, and Media Server.  The first allows control of a remote server and what is playing on that server.  The second allows you to "stream" music from another server to the current machine you are using, thus allowing you to connect to your music files at home, when you are in the office.

Not sure which of those you are trying to do, as I am not sure why you would want to control what is playing on your home machine when you are not there, but hopefully this will help clarify somewhat so that if there is still a question, someone can help.  

drew

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 06:11:18 am »

Let me clarify .. I want to control the Media Center from a remote PC (I do not want to listen to the music remotely).  And, doing so, I want to use the inherent Web Remote (built into MC) ... So I am asking for an RFE for a few new features. :)  Nothing more, nothing less ;)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 07:38:29 am »

Again: There is no Web Remote built in anymore. That name is dead and gone. There is however Remote Server. Which is probably what you want to use. And NetRemote should be able to connect to anything you can connect a web reader to, I think. But I have never tried it over the Internet, only my ownd LAN. And please don't compare it  to a primitive, last century remote control!  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 12:56:46 pm »

According to Jim H's notes, http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1044038645
The WebRemote IS the name of it .. and it was only RECENTLY built in .. so im not sure what your "not built in anymore" statement is about ..

According to the HTML code, it is however call "Remote Server" .... I'm still waiting for the movie, though. ;)
(C) 2003, JRiver Inc
Remote Server v1.14, JRiver, Daniel Ellison, and Benjamin Sweet

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
Re: RFE: Remote Server 1.14
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 01:18:48 pm »

drosoph,
I agree with what you are saying to some extent, and I also think that the original start of the thread was related to RFE's for the remote server.  

The thread that you provided as an example, I believe was a "pre" Remote Server incorporation of what used to be called the Web Remote Pluggin.  That pluggin was taken as written by the two people you quoted at the bottom of your last post, (Ben and Daniel I beleive) and incorporated into the Standard MC code, in a recent release.  Not sure of which one, but it was within the last several weeks.  All it really did was take the pluggin, and make it a standard part of the software.  

When Mastiff says that the name is dead and gone, that in my opinion is a technicality, and one that I will admit I have fallen part of as well, since there are so many names to keep straight.  (i get confused easy).  Anyway, there is Remote Server functionality, and as you probably guessed, it is slightly limited, as there have been some much other functionality to enhance in this version.  So, Net Remote, and Glissando have been written as additional pieces of software that will allow you to control your machine with MC on it, remotely, with some additional pieces of functionality that you may find meets your needs regarding your RFE's.  

As I have stated in the past, I don't use Net Remote, so I can not speak to it, but I do use Glissando nearly every day, and it does exactly what I am looking for, and that is to control my "server" which sits in the basement next to my stereo, and plays whatever I ask it to from my laptop on the main floor of my house.  I like glissando, as it incorporates cover art if you have it.

I know, not an aswer to your RFE, but hopefully some of these items can be put on an enhancement list for a version coming soon!!!

Drew

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 01:22:06 pm »

According to Jim H's notes,
The WebRemote IS the name of it .. and it was only RECENTLY built in .. so im not sure what your "not built in anymore" statement is about ..

WebRemote was the way we served the library from MC.  Now MC has the equivalent technology build in.  We call that RemoteServer.  It's configured in MC settings for startup.

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 06:15:15 pm »

So, now that we've got the naming issue cleared up, does that mean someone will take a look at the RFE and possibly incorporate some of these spiffy features in a future build ? Please?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 06:48:36 am »

I agree, and would also suggest taking a look at this thread by Nila.  http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1052199567  

I use remote server almost exclusively, and would love to see some improvements.  Realizing that Release just occurred, it would be nice if we could get some feedback on some mid range plans from someone at JRiver.  I realize that there are some great 3rd party apps (netremote, glissando) too use, but it would be nice to see some of the base functionality from MC tied directly into the remote server.  Nila's thread does have some great recommendations, although most of it I did not understand, as I don't do any programing.

Thanks  Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up