INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play button behavior  (Read 1236 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Play button behavior
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:32:53 pm »

I recently moved from MC24 to MC25. There is a change in behavior that I'm hoping is unintentional and not by design, involving theater view and the play button on the remote control. In previous versions of MC (at least as far back as 16) pressing play would cause the currently highlighted set of tracks to start playing, whether or not something else was already playing at that moment - same as if the Play All command is selected in the roller. In 25, if the play button is pressed while something is playing, it always pauses the current track without starting the new selection, and a second press restarts the paused track. Please fix this if it's a bug and if not a bug consider changing it back to the old behavior, or add an option for it. Thank you.

Don W

• World Citizen
Re: Play button behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 07:01:23 pm »

bump.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 12:09:29 pm »

Just hit stop then the play button and it will restart with the selection.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 03:56:57 pm »

Yes of course but it was so perfect the way it was. Why change it now?

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 06:26:20 pm »

Where are your priorities? This change comes at the expense of the simplicity and elegance of the user experience. And from a user's perspective doesn't offer anything in return. I'm disappointed.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 07:20:29 pm »

25.0.74 (7/8/2019)
7. Changed: The play button on a remote when playback is paused will unpause instead of looking for something new to play.

Well, it was deliberate, so someone must have seen some benefit. I can't find the thread, but I think someone pointed out that a Play button normally toggled Play/Pause, and didn't want to use the OK button to do that.

Different workflows mean different usages. It is a small thing to press Stop before pressing Play to play a new selection.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:43:16 pm »

It is a small thing to press Stop before pressing Play to play a new selection.

It's a smaller thing to press pause instead of play to pause the current track.

The way it used to work, the Play button caused the current track to re-start from the beginning, if something different was not highlighted in the UI. I can see how in that specific situation it might be preferable to pause instead. But if I've highlighted a new album or a different track and press play, it's just confusing if it doesn't start playing what was highlighted. In my opinion.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 05:09:26 pm »

25.0.74 (7/8/2019)
7. Changed: The play button on a remote when playback is paused will unpause instead of looking for something new to play.

Well, it was deliberate, so someone must have seen some benefit. I can't find the thread, but I think someone pointed out that a Play button normally toggled Play/Pause, and didn't want to use the OK button to do that.

Different workflows mean different usages. It is a small thing to press Stop before pressing Play to play a new selection.

I sure preferred it the way it was prior..... is there any way possible to change it back?  for me, a user of audio only, - theater view, the new way is definitely a step backwards.
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7
Pages: [1]   Go Up