INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server - client  (Read 852 times)

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
Server - client
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:20:38 pm »

This might be a stupid question : I was able to have remote 'client' access of MC library server (through internet). However the changes made on the client are not processed by the server - so no sync from the client to the server. Vice versa it works. I ticked all boxes in options - tools - media network. But certainly I forgot something.
"You can play your media on the client, and create playlists. But any changes you make on the client are not saved on the server until you select Library Sync... from the Library menu selection." - can you tell me where to find this ? Thanks

Some "must have" for MC 26 : probably 10% of your customers are 'early adopters' and 90% 'followers'. I agree that the early adopters bring MC forward. But make a decent simple to understand manual (starting from 'how to post a subject'). The weak element in JRiver is the 'web' (and chaos) of information which takes endless time to go through it (which we don't do). 'Easy access of information ' is the key improvement of JRiver to reach a braod spectrum of 'followers'

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server - client
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »

Make sure that you have authentication enabled in Library Server.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:50:11 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. However authentication was 'on' (with unsername and password) on the server."read only authentication" : disabled on server.
I have noticed that some changes made on client have been done on server, but others not. Changes on client remained unchanged on client and server after next day MC launch.
Does it mean that changes made on client must be confirmed by the refresh button on the client ?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 08:37:02 am »

If you shutdown MC right after making changes, they may not be finished syncing. I suggest that you manually run "File>Library>Sync Changes With Library Server" before shutting down. I remember past discussions about implementing this automatically on shutdown but I cannot remember if there was a resolution.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:39:00 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. However authentication was 'on' (with unsername and password) on the server."read only authentication" : disabled on server.
I have noticed that some changes made on client have been done on server, but others not. Changes on client remained unchanged on client and server after next day MC launch.
Does it mean that changes made on client must be confirmed by the refresh button on the client ?

On the client, if you look in the media network section of the options menu, there is a heading "Client Options."  Make sure that the "auto-sync" box is checked, and the client should then sync changes back to the server automatically.  One thing to know though is that there are just a few specific kinds of changes that cannot be made on the client.  For example, cover art has to be changed on the server, not the client and any client changes to cover art will not be synced.  Similarly, changes to file locations or filenames cannot be usefully done on the client. 

But almost all other tag changes, etc. can be done on the client and should automatically sync back to the server if the auto-sync box is checked and the client has an authenticated connection to the server.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 08:46:09 am »

Thanks for these quick replies. Especially the Willems quote about cover art is important - server only (which I didn'k know) . I have noticed that - after renewing computers and importing library the cover art does not always match correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up