INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up MC as a UpNP Control Point  (Read 2185 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
How to set up MC as a UpNP Control Point
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »

Currently, I use an Oppo BDP-105 disc player to stream audio from the NAS to the Oppo > preamp > amp. Other than attaching cables, I never configured anything for this to work; it just worked, using the BDP-105 to browse and select the NAS folders. I plan to add a better DAC and streamer to our network for audio. I understand that a logical way to stream audio from a NAS to a streamer/DAC is using an NpNP control point, presumably MC. I can't find any specific information in the wikis on how to set up MC as a UpNP control point, or what I have found assumes a level of knowledge higher than mine (and I understand networking).
     How do I configure MC as a UpNP control point? Does it automatically find the streaming device, or is additional configuration or drivers for the specific device required?
     Also, I have learned that many ethernet streaming devices use proprietary control "apps," and I prefer to use MC. Any advice on narrowing my choice of streaming devices to those with which I could use MC would be appreciated.  So far, I have been querying various vendors (direct and resellers) and some answer affirmatively about MC with no additional information, and some don't reply at all. (When I queried Cambridge Audio about the Edge NQ device, they replied with a link to a 9-second youtube video in which the silent video quickly panned from a monitor with a blurred image of MC to an Edge NQ.)
     (I currently run MC25 and have reserved MC26).

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to set up MC as a UpNP Control Point
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 04:46:48 pm »

With your existing hardware, you have everything you need to play audio and video. If your files are on a NAS file share then MC will be able to access them and incorporate them in its library. And MC will be able to serve them to the Oppo by means of its DLNA functionality. The Oppo is a great player, and combined with MC and your NAS will give you good service. So there is no need to buy another “streamer” (whatever you mean by that).

I won’t go into the settings details, as you will be able to find that on the Wiki..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:37:47 pm »

I want to replace the BDP-105 because I would like a better DAC capability with better fidelity. When I bought the BDP-105 new, I thought that it sounded inferior to the 20-year-old Proceed CD transport (which was failing and very expensive to repair) and Proceed DAC that it replaced. However, the wonderful features of the BDP-105 for streaming high definition audio and video were quickly addicting. For one thing, the stereo image via the BDP-105 really flattened compared to the old Proceed unit combination.
      However, I have now changed my mind and have decided to retain the BDP-105 for video purposes, but I would like better audio fidelity for my music.
      Some DAC units have ethernet streaming capability built in, and others do not. The latter require an additional unit to stream from NAS (or other source) and transport the audio stream to the DAC via USB. This is what I referred to as the "streamer."
      Where can I find on the wiki how to configure JRiver to stream from my NAS to the BDP-105? I cannot find this information. Also, the DLNA server on my NAS does not support DSD, hence my desire to use UpNP, which apparently can accommodate streaming of DSD audio.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:51:20 am »

Read the Media Network Wiki article.
Search the forum for DLNA and read up on how other people use it.
Turn off the DLNA server on your NAS. Use the MC DLNA Server instead.
Import all of your media files into the MC Library from the NAS using a file share.
MC will be the DLNA Server and Controller.
The streamer will be the DLNA Renderer, but I can't advise on what to buy. Check everything very carefully before buying. Specifications can be misleading.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:58:58 am »

Regarding the wiki, I suggest starting here (and then follow some of the side links) https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Basically you need to turn on the three Media Server settings in MC. That will make you4 Oppo appear as a DLNA / UPNP renderer in the top left of MC. And you will then be able to push media to it.

Regarding your NAS, you should disable whatever Media Server it is currently running (since it will cause endless confusion), and instead simply run its file server so that your media files are accessible in a regular folder from your PC. Then set MC to add that folder to its library. This will allow MC to browse your media on the NAS.

Once MC can see the media on your NAS, and can see the Oppo as a renderer, then the rest is easy.

Concerning DSF files, the Oppo can consume these, and MC can serve them. Simply set the MC Server settings to serve such tracks in “Original” format (i.e. no conversion).
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Castelo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:57:53 pm »

I am lost in how to deal with some similar issues as discussed in this thread. I have tried searching through the forum for guidance but have not found the answer. I apologize up front for going over territory that has already been covered.

I am running MC23 on an old mac air laptop; my audio files are on a qnap  NAS which is acting as fileserver and all files accessed by MC.  the laptop is usb connected to my dac and audiophile stereo and that works great.  i have two other systems in my house, a 10 year HT receiver with  dlna and an older whole-house system that needs a front end device to connect to the preamp.

My questions are the following: what type of front end device do i need to play through the whole house system- a nuc or raspberry pi with a dac- or is something else a better solution?  should that device connect through dlna or through other means?  is it possible to get the music playing on various systems to sync ( i tried the time adjustment feature in MC between the USB and DLNA connected system and was able to get close but not synced).  Finally, should i be using another computer besides the Mac to run MC?

I appreciate any help that can be provided to answer my questions or point me in the right direction.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up