INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Problem  (Read 638 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
Tagging Problem
« on: November 03, 2019, 07:22:11 am »

Hi there
again an email from me about library update, tagging and unexpected behaviour

background: I needed to reinitialize my QNAP NAS (TS219P) due to a config file corruption. I did a backup of my Multimedia folder, reinitialize and move the backup back to the NAS

Here I was expecting a smooth transition. JRiver rescanning the Multimedia folder and reimporting ALL the files with the same tag.

Issue: I had to import again manually some flac files, all the .cue files and .iso  (bad) tag again a few (52) files

For your info, originally the multimedia folder was Qmultimedia, now I moved the backup in Multiomedia to stick with the latest setup option.

My question is how tagging of cue and iso is handled by JRiver. I understood that this is handled by the sidecar files (since tags cannot be written in files) so I was expecting no action from me but this did not work ...

Thanks
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:36:53 am »

You could try restoring a backup.  MC makes them automatically.  Search for *.zip files.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:42:41 pm »

I did but cue and iso file are missing from the database. They are in the GDD so I reimported them manually but tags disappeared ...
I still donno understand where tags for cue and iso are stored :(
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 02:54:03 pm »

CUE files do all kinds of weird things with MC.  I would avoid them if you possibly can.  I think CUE files are an anachronism.  Sorry, that's a weird word even for a native English speaker.  What I mean to say is that CUE files used to have a purpose that was not served by anything else.  Now they are an old idea with new solutions that work much better.

ISO files are weird too.  I have repeatedly had trouble moving ISO SACD images and retaining the track information.  I have very, very few of these, so I just don't worry about it any more.  There used to be some odd 2 pass procedure for moving them that was supposed to work.  I haven't really kept up on what the latest is.  But moving ISO SACDs is a known problem.

On the other hand, why are you re-importing if you have an MC database backup?  The database backup should have everything in it.  Though you might still have trouble with ISOs, even using a database backup.

Brian.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:13:50 am »

Thanks much
I will split cue files into individual files first
Maybe iso files can also be split into dsf or dsff (I will investigate)
Stereo:

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 03:15:27 am »

On the other hand, why are you re-importing if you have an MC database backup?  The database backup should have everything in it.  Though you might still have trouble with ISOs, even using a database backup.

Brian.
just because cue and iso files disappeared after restoring the backup. donno why ...
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up