INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "not using JRiver audio engine" when playing files to ultra rendu  (Read 2601 times)

classicsguy

I'm new to JRiver and I'm trying to set up an ultra rendu from Sonore as a DLNA renderer to my DAC.  The rendu is on my LAN as well as a NAS with music files on it. 

I have not installed any DLNA servers on this NAS in hopes that JRiver Media server would do this job. 

At this time MC sees the rendu as it shows up in the list of players.  However, when MC plays a music file there is no sound and  I get the message "not using JRiver audio engine" when I hover over the settings button in the upper right.

Also under tools>options I have the message "Configure audio using Options> Media Networks> Add or configure DLNA servers".  I've also selected "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" and have chosen "Generic DLNA". 

Can anyone tell me what else I need to do to get jriver to turn on the audio engine? If it means anything I am using a Mac as the control point.  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: "not using JRiver audio engine" when playing files to ultra rendu
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:50:33 am »

I assume you've been here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

When you use MC's DLNA Server to play to a DLNA Renderer, it is similar to using a file server.  The Renderer is doing the playback, so MC's audio engine isn't a factor.

Try other types of files.  The device may not play all formats.

Make sure the device's volume is not muted.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 11:56:39 am »

In Sonore's Sonicorbiter interface, full DAC volume is verified by means of:

Apps -> DAC Diagnostics -> USB Output -> Set DAC to MAX volume

It's also worth checking JRiver's own volume control to be sure it wasn't inadvertently enabled, or turned down/muted.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 12:13:32 pm »

At this time MC sees the rendu as it shows up in the list of players.  However, when MC plays a music file there is no sound and  I get the message "not using JRiver audio engine" when I hover over the settings button in the upper right.

As Jim implied, the “not using JRiver audio engine” is irrelevant to your case. You say there is “no sound”; but can you please confirm a few simple questions as follows:

- do you see an error dialog saying something like “error playing file”?
- when you select the renderer in MC, does the MC progress bar move?
- and, is the MC volume slider at zero? or muted?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

classicsguy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:41:18 pm »

OK. I understand now that using a renderer setup as a DLNA device must mean that JR does not use the audio engine but merely passes the music on to the renderer. 

I have performed the sonicorbiter start routine through the web interface as you have indicated and set the DAC to max volume
   "Apps -> DAC Diagnostics -> USB Output -> Set DAC to MAX volume"
I have the MPD/DLNA switch turned on also.

I also can connect the urendu through the osx finder.  Its address is 192.168.254.29 and I can ping it.

Now to answer AndrewFG
- do you see an error dialog saying something like “error playing file”?  No
- when you select the renderer in MC, does the MC progress bar move?  The bar moves for a few seconds and then stops.  No sound occurs and yes the volume on the player is turned all the way up.  There are no error messages.
- and, is the MC volume slider at zero? or muted?  No

Now.  I've been fooling with network settings and one strange thing caught my attention.  If I turn the wifi off I cannot osx cannot connect to the urendo.  Turn the wifi back on and voila the urendo connects.  This is totally weird because everything in this system is connected together via ethernet (wtf?).  But anyhow connecting to the urendu does not guarantee JR will play on the urendu.

Now last night after several attempts at changing router setting and restarting everything JR started playing through the urendu!  Why?  Not certain. I was playing with network and router settings not sure which did the trick. However, I shut everything down and the next day - the same issue.  JR would not play on the urendu.

So after playing with the network I couldn't duplicate it so I tried something different.  I hooked up the urendu to an airport extreme and viola! It worked again.  But then I shut it all down and then - JR would not play with the urendu.

So I moved the urendu back to the LAN switch and - it works again.

So I guess you can call this progress. 

Have you ever heard of  this kind of network behavior?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 06:23:10 pm »

^
It sounds as if your various devices may be getting their IP addresses from different places. Normally your main router should be running a DHCP server, and all other devices should be configured to get their IP addresses via DHCP from that server. And if you have other Wifi access points on the LAN you should make sure that these are NOT running a DHCP server (indeed those access point should themselves be configured to get their own IP addresses from the DHCP server on the main router).

If you have more than one DHCP server, then different devices will get their IP addresses from different servers. So there will be conflicts. And if the IP addresses are on different subnets their traffic will not be routed properly. Furthermore some routers will not route traffic where they themselves have not issued the IP address.

Ideally, furthermore, once you have got a stable IP address allocation scheme, you should then set the IP addresses on the DHCP server as being “reserved” to the device that currently holds that address. This prevents devices from moving about the address table, and makes things more stable. However do not start making reservations until you already have a stable scheme — otherwise you risk (p)reserving a mess.

Once you have set the router and all devices to use DHCP, you should power cycle all of them. Start by turning all devices off. Then turn on your cable modem (if any); wait 2-3 minutes for it to start, then turn on your router; and wait another 2-3 minutes for IT to start; then turn on your WiFi access points; and wait etc.; and finally turn on all the other wired and wireless devices.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 06:53:43 am »

Thanks, Andrew.  Well done.

classicsguy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »

Ok.  I have a DSL router/modem which also which is also broadcasting wifi.  looking into the router I see there is a way to reserve IP addresses.  I see the  router is also using DHCP.  Looking into the mac mini I also see the wifi is also using DHCP. From what I gather from your comments I should turn off the DHCP on the mac mini wifi.  I'll try the turning off the DHCP on the mac wifi and see what happens first.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up