INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SetChannel Failed on Tuner Device  (Read 2568 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
SetChannel Failed on Tuner Device
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:55:03 am »

Very strange issue that started just about 3-4 weeks ago. At first it would occur every few mornings. Now it happens most mornings.

ISSUE: Cannot watch Live TV regardless of the channel selected.

Using HDHomerun Prime w/cable card.

I get the following failure message;

SetChannel Failed on Tuner Device. Please make sure the channel is valid. The parameter is incorrect.

This ONLY happens first thing in the morning...around 6-8a.  When I try it later in the morning or day it works.

I have no clue what's going on. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SetChannel Failed on Tuner Device
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 07:41:57 am »

Did you try rebooting everything?

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:08:09 am »

Yes, last week. But this still occurs....

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:23:04 am »

Is your network waking up fast enough (if it goes to sleep)?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:45:50 am »

Not sure what you're asking. But After multiple attempts it still won't work. But it will work on other machines in the house during the same time this machine doesn't work.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 02:33:04 pm »

Not sure what you're asking. But After multiple attempts it still won't work. But it will work on other machines in the house during the same time this machine doesn't work.

I don't know for sure what might cause it and my comments were based on just a hunch.  You said
This ONLY happens first thing in the morning...around 6-8a.  When I try it later in the morning or day it works.

So I thought this may be related to your computer not being connected to the network when it wakes up.  That would led to failed communication with the tuner.

You can turn on logging and forward me a log as soon as you see it happening.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 03:56:52 pm »

OK. Thanks, Yaobing.

About network communication....when this happens and fails for me a few times, I then go to my recorded TV shows and play one just to have something on in the bedroom while getting ready in the AM. I believe it is connected. And I believe I don't ever have it enter sleep mode.

I will try logging tomorrow. i'm sure it will occur again.

By the way.....where do I turn on logging for this?

Thank you

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »

I found logging. I will look into tomorrow morning when it occurs.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:11:46 am »

I don't know for sure what might cause it and my comments were based on just a hunch.  You said
So I thought this may be related to your computer not being connected to the network when it wakes up.  That would led to failed communication with the tuner.

You can turn on logging and forward me a log as soon as you see it happening.

Yaobing....How can I send the Log to you?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:22 am »

Yaobing....How can I send the Log to you?

If it is not too large (a few MB is ok) email to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com

If it is too large for email, you will have to put on a file server and give me the link to it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 09:15:37 am »

Thanks for the log.  It does not show too much more than what I already know, unfortunately.  However, this line

Response:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><soap:Body><soap:Fault><faultcode>soap:Client</faultcode><faultstring>UPnPError</faultstring><detail><UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0"><errorCode>307</errorCode><errorDescription> Tuner In Use</errorDescription></UPnPError></detail></soap:Fault></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>.

says the device is in use.   But that should not be true as prior to this error MC tested the device and the response was that it was "STOPPED", meaning it should be available for use.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:34:45 am »

And you're correct, it is not true as I have specifically  looked at the HD Homerun for tuners in use AND I've been able to play live TV on another device in the house even when this Bedroom one will not.

Also I want to point out that this problem Bedroom JRiver is acting as a client to two other JRiver on separate computers. I can play Live TV on both of the others while the Bedroom JRiver will not.

Very confusing!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:31 am »

Firewall?

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 11:13:22 am »

I never have had a firewall issue with this or any device. This only started  about two months ago sporadically. Now, it happens every morning.

But it also happened last night when i tested it. That's where the logs came from...last nights attempt. It only happens on this machine. I don't get it.

I can access the internet when this occurs. I also can play video (recorded TV shows) from my NAC when this happens.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »

I can say for sure it is not a network issue anymore.  MC sent a command to the device and got a response from it.

Also I want to point out that this problem Bedroom JRiver is acting as a client to two other JRiver on separate computers. I can play Live TV on both of the others while the Bedroom JRiver will not.

So the log you sent me was from a MC client?  But when it comes to live TV playback, MC will access the tuner directly, the same way an MC server would.  So there should not be any difference.

Is it possible that another computer tries to access the same tuner at the same time, or not releasing the tuner that was previously used?  You can try reset the HDHomeRun Prime device by unplugging the power and then re-plugging it.  However this is unlikely the issue because you said you have no problem using the tuner from another computer.  But try it anyway.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 04:13:46 pm »

Yea, I’ve rebooted the Homerun a couple times already. I’ve also looked directly at the homerun settings and have verified that no tuners were in use when Live TV failed.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:03 am »

This remains a problem for me. I am baffled. I get this error message frequently on all 3 machines I have running. It works some times but is sporadic.

I went to the HDHomerun Forum and they suggested that, when Live TV fails on JRiver, to try it on the HD Homerun Ap. I did this and it worked on their ap but would not work on any of the 3 machines I have.

I assume it is something on my end or JRiver.....??

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 04:49:36 pm »

To reduce the chance of different computers all trying to access the same tuner, you can try ordering the tuners differently on different computers.  For example, you can order the tuners 1, 2, 3 computer 1, but 2, 3, 1 on computer 2, and 3, 1, 2, on computer 3.  This way they will each use a different tuner, unless some of them need to use multiple tuners at once.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 05:01:29 pm »

Yaobing,

Thx for responding. I can see where this would be important if more than one JRiver was in use at the same time. However, I’m the only one that uses jriver. So there is never more than one JRiver machine in use at any one time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 06:33:55 pm »

Do you have any recording tasks set on some computers? 

Take a look at the HDHomeRun device itself.  Do you see any of the indicator lights on the right side lighting up?  Even though at the moment no one is using the tuners at your other computers, there is a possibility that MC had crashed, encountered an error, etc. and left a tuner un-released.

I just had a few of the same error messages a few minutes ago, but I know precisely what caused it.  I had one computer recording a show, and I tried to use another computer to watch another.  They both tried to use the same tuner.  Once I changed the order of tuners on my second computer I no longer have the error.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 08:37:22 pm »

Ok. I follow your example. Could you tell me where I make this change? I’ll try this tomorrow.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 09:17:49 pm »

TV Options > General > Manage Devices...

Select a tuner in the list and use "Move Up" or "Move Down" button on the right side to change its position in the list.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 09:30:32 am »

I've applied these changes to each machine.

Thank you

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 11:54:26 am »

This setting change appears to have resolved my issue. Thanks for your assistance, Yaobing!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 04:56:25 pm »

Good to know.  I am glad I could help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up