INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord Hugo TT volume: use Hugo remote or MC?  (Read 826 times)

cantara256

• Recent member
Chord Hugo TT volume: use Hugo remote or MC?
« on: November 20, 2019, 03:15:01 am »

I have a Mac mini hooked up via USB to a Chord Hugo TT (not TT2, the original TT), then via XLR to a Cavalli Liquid Gold amp, primary cans are LCD-4.

I've been using the Hugo remote for volume, but due to physical space constraints, I'd like to move the Mac/Hugo out of sight, keep the amp on a table, and use JRemote to control volume.

Chord recommends I use their remote; forums posts here say it shouldn't matter. The Hugo TT USB input is 32 bit/384 kHz and DSD128-capable. My dedicated listening music is ALAC, most 16 bit/44 kHz, some 24/96, and a smattering of SACD rips.

Thoughts?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Chord Hugo TT volume: use Hugo remote or MC?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 05:28:48 am »

For DSD files (including SACD rips), MC can not control the volume if they are being bitstreamed.  If you are not bitstreaming, then you are converting to PCM, which isn't exactly the same as sending DSD to your DAC.

Otherwise, it looks like the Hugo TT does digital volume control itself.  So it's probably very similar to control volume with the Hugo or with MC.

Listen to both and see if you hear a difference.  I recommend listening for at least double digit minutes to each setup to get a true listening impression.

Brian.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:34:31 am »

...and personally, I would get a preamp.  Like a Schiit Saga for example.

But my opinion on this matter is in the minority.

Good luck whatever you decide.  :)

Brian.

cantara256

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:10:25 pm »

For DSD files (including SACD rips), MC can not control the volume if they are being bitstreamed.  If you are not bitstreaming, then you are converting to PCM, which isn't exactly the same as sending DSD to your DAC.

Thanks, I think that settles it for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up