INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC25 Crashes and shuts down after a few minutes of playing video, music etc...  (Read 1221 times)

The RomDoodle!

• Recent member

JRiver:

As always a great product.  JRiver for life!.  Anyhow, I am running the latest version (stable) of MC25.  Library 500K+ of various items.  Mostly music but 50K+ of videos.  JRiver will play for a few minutes then stall the video or music, then shut down.  Antivirus is not the issue and this happens very rarely.  The only solution I found is to uninstall completely and then reinstall.  Only issue then becomes, another use of my license.  Any solutions?  Also, if I apply my MC26 upgrade license to my current MC25, once MC26 is released, I should not have to reapply my license correct?  Thanks for all the help and support.  Enjoy turkey day.  -Rommie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Antivirus is the likely cause.  Win10?  See the Windows Defender thread.

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

I have the same issue under Windows 10 Pro.  It just started today.  I run Roon off the same PC as JR MC25.0.114 and don't have a problem playing the same tracks.  17K tracks all 192K/24bit.

I use Norton for all anti-virus, spam, vpn, etc.  I don't run Windows Defender.

bob

• Administrator

If it actually crashes a dump would be nice, otherwise a log file for when it stops playing.
Did either of you notice any windows updates between now and when there wasn't an issue?

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

What I did notice was all my settings such as volume leveling were gone.  I didn't have a Windows update that I know of.  My Dell computer which is new did have an update, but my programs didn't seem to be affected by that.

bob

• Administrator

What I did notice was all my settings such as volume leveling were gone.  I didn't have a Windows update that I know of.  My Dell computer which is new did have an update, but my programs didn't seem to be affected by that.
Are you using the EQ in DSP studio?

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes

bob

• Administrator

Yes
Ok, I don't know if that's an issue or not but it was updated late in MC25.
Are you using any other DSP studio effects so I can run a test over the weekend to try and duplicate it?
Are you files local or on a NAS?
What in general are the formats you are playing?
What is the configuration of your Audio output device/driver?
Thanks.

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

Volume leveling, adaptive volume and eq, windows driver is set to 192K/24bit in MC25.0.114.  All my files are on a 6TB local attached usb and are all either wav or flac 192K/24bit. 

Roon on the same PC as JRiver doesn't crash playing the files.

bob

• Administrator

Volume leveling, adaptive volume and eq, windows driver is set to 192K/24bit in MC25.0.114.  All my files are on a 6TB local attached usb and are all either wav or flac 192K/24bit. 

Roon on the same PC as JRiver doesn't crash playing the files.
Thanks,
Direct sound, ASIO or Wasapi (any exclusive access or event settings)?
Does the computer sleep during this issue?

JimH

• Administrator

Is the USB drive on a USB 3.0 port?

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

I connect to a Musical Fidelity V link to connect to my Audio equipment, usually set for WASAPI in MC25.  when this problem started I also tried Direct Sound.  Nothing happens to the computer.  I just bring up Roon to play when JRiver crashes.

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

USB 3.0

bob

• Administrator

Ok, that should be enough to set up a test.
If you have a crash dump that would likely be VERY useful.

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck

Where would I find a crash dump?

bob

• Administrator

Where would I find a crash dump?
I believe the way it works in windows is the following:
Run MC, go to Help->Logging and turn it on (you can put in a maximum log size of say 10mb)
Produce the crash
Run MC again and go to Help->Logging->Report
And it should email us a bundle which includes the log, previous log and crash dump (if it got one).
Thanks!

The RomDoodle!

• Recent member

JRiver:

Jim, it's definitely not AV.  Again this issue is so rare, but once it happens, the issue remains until a reinstall.  I'll keep an eye on it.  The only thing I believe that may be connected to this issue is after I add a new files location (import).  But, I have hundreds of thousands of media files.  All my connections are via a network share.

From where I sit, we can table this issue.  I'm reinstalling now.

-R

Laffer

• Junior Woodchuck

My new install of MC25 (25.0.114) 64 bit crashes in less than a minute of opening, doing nothing as far as I am concerned.  I have generated a few logs today, are they auto emailed to J River?  If not, what email address should I use to send them to you?

I have looked at some of the log files and noted that there are references to a portable install.  I did not install as portable.  It also looks to me (a layman) that MC25 is having problems recognizing that I have drives installed in my system.  Also, I have done all the Windows defender fixes.

JimH

• Administrator

Turn off auto import until you find the problem.

Double check antivirus.  It's the most common cause of such problems.  There's a thread on Windows Defender on the forum.

Don't send a log unless we ask for it.

Take a look at the Weird Problem thread in my signature.

Antoine.

• World Citizen

Same problem here, MC server crashed thrice today, never had any such problem with MC20, 21 or 22.

Crash most likely to happen when accessing the server through Panel or DLNA.

Only antivirus program I have is the one that comes with Win 10 Pro. I just added a few exceptions to Windows Defender, we'll see how it goes but these exceptions shouldn't be the final answer to this situation IMO.
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Antoine.

• World Citizen

Okay, MC25 server still crashes almost every time I access the DLNA server, despite having added the exceptions in Windows Defender.

Same thing for panel: causes MC25 server to crash...
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

Laffer

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi JimH,
I have already done all the Windows defender settings and dont run a 3rd party AV.

However, today when I fired up MC25 it did not crash!  I didnt do anything with it, just left it there, running.  As said in my earlier post, it usually crashes out in under 60 seconds.  I have made no changes to my computer or MC25.

The only difference, my HTPC was powered on and on the network (also running Windows 10 1903).

I have never connected to that PC in any way, shape or form via either the old version of MC (21) or the new - 25.  I have connceted to it via Windows etc. and do have shared drives on it.

By the sounds of it, you have some kind of network stack issue or network auto discovery bug.  I have turned off all those options now - perhaps better to have these defaulted to off rather than on (so auto import only works locally on the PC that MC25 is installed on by default) .  Looking at my logs from yesterday, I can see MC25 trying to access my HTPC shared drives etc. despite I have never instructed MC25 to do that.

I'll update in due course if turning off all the auto import and auto media server discovery stabilises MC25 when my HTPC is off.

DJLegba

Okay, MC25 server still crashes almost every time I access the DLNA server, despite having added the exceptions in Windows Defender.

Same thing for panel: causes MC25 server to crash...

Do you have port forwarding turned on so you can access your library from outside? Last week MC started crashing repeatedly, especially when using it as a DLNA renderer for streaming Tidal via BubbleUPnP. I disabled port forwarding on my router and MC hasn't crashed once since then.

JimH

• Administrator

Make sure ports 52100 to 52200 are open in your firewall if you're using Media Network.  Port 1900 also needs to be open for discovery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up