INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any trick to "Get cover art from Internet"??  (Read 2024 times)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
Any trick to "Get cover art from Internet"??
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:49:15 pm »

Hello all -
Whenever I try to fetch cover art from the internet it nearly always comes up with nothing.
Sometimes oddly enough it even pulls up the last image that I copy/pasted manually for the prior album i fixed.

Thoughts?
-and thanks much!

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Any trick to "Get cover art from Internet"??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:30 am »

It doesn't really find non-movie cover art from the net.

But, if you search in your browser for the album title and download the image, you can then load it from file and it will stick.  Then delete the downloaded file after attachment if you like.  That's what I do. 

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 10:44:49 am »

If a simple Google search fails to find the cover art you want then you might find Album Art Downloader useful.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:43:37 am »

ah I see

I actually had it find one (out of like 30) last night to my surprise
i don't save the file ahead of time i just paste from clipboard and then it's saved in the cover art folder
Kind of a pain I guess this would be a nice improvement for JRiver
If it pulls artist images from LastFM why not album art as well?

anyway thanks at least I know it's not user error over here :)

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 12:27:59 pm »

I have fairly good luck with the album cover art finder built into MC.  I'd say I have probably a ~75% success rate.  When it fails it tends to be a relatively obscure album.

It doesn't really find non-movie cover art from the net.

That is not true.  Right click an audio track, choose "Cover Art" and then "Get from internet".  You can submit your own cover art as well to make the tool even better.

jllaudio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 02:51:41 pm »

I get all my album art from Discogs.  I just find the cover I like and cut and paste it into my cover art library.

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:52:50 pm »

I get all my album art from Discogs.  I just find the cover I like and cut and paste it into my cover art library.

Manually? It is already pretty time-consuming. And manually even more so.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 03:15:30 pm »

I've been using Discogs as well.
It's not the end of the world but it would be nice if a better fetcher was incorporated
I think about 85% of the music I listen to is on the obscure side so yeah lol

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 10:50:04 am »

I've been using Discogs as well.
It's not the end of the world but it would be nice if a better fetcher was incorporated
I think about 85% of the music I listen to is on the obscure side so yeah lol
Yes and the newer the release, the less likely it will find it.  This despite Google finding references and, often, decent art.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 11:10:12 am »

Moe's answer above is correct:

Right click an audio track, choose "Cover Art" and then "Get from internet".  You can submit your own cover art as well to make the tool even better.

If it doesn't return cover art most of the time, then perhaps your security software is blocking MC.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 05:22:06 pm »

I mean this is surely what I'm doing and about 95% of the time coming up blank (or showing the last album I fixed...weird)
I wouldn't think my security is blocking MC if it's regularly getting updates and also occasionally pulls some art?
How can I go about checking this?

I feel like whatever db it's connecting to is just very limited idk.
like i said the music i listen to is anything but top 40

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 06:27:39 pm »

When you rip whole CDs and allow lookup, MC looks up the YADB at Album level, and that is pretty good.

When you do a lookup on individual tracks, MC looks up the YADB at Track level, and that is pretty limited.

Improve the YADB for Track level searches by submitting the artwork and metadata you find for your obscure music, then it will work better for everyone else.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

flac.rules

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 11:03:37 am »

When you rip whole CDs and allow lookup, MC looks up the YADB at Album level, and that is pretty good.

When you do a lookup on individual tracks, MC looks up the YADB at Track level, and that is pretty limited.

Improve the YADB for Track level searches by submitting the artwork and metadata you find for your obscure music, then it will work better for everyone else.  8)

But why? Why doesn't it just search for the album? Cover art is made on a per album basis?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 03:55:25 pm »

But why? Why doesn't it just search for the album? Cover art is made on a per album basis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7pgInSybI
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 06:39:21 pm »

Also an excellent response (link needs fixing, but I found it).

I didn't want to say it would never change though.

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:10:55 am »

I agree.  Discogs is the PLACE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up