INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Play all now  (Read 2027 times)

marcusturle

• World Citizen
Problem with Play all now
« on: November 23, 2019, 11:08:06 am »

I am having an issue with Play all now.

When I try to ‘Play all now’ using JRemote, it only plays the first track.

I am using JRemote to play music from a Mac mini through a Bose Lifestyle 650 system.  however, the problem does not occur if I play vis ‘this device’.

Any suggestions?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with Play all now
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:42:08 am »

How are you connected from the Mac to the Bose?  RCAs?  HDMI?  Network ?

That symptom sounds like you are using DLNA networking to send the audio.  But that's just a guess.

Brian.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 02:53:43 pm »

Both the Mac mini and Bose are connected to my router via Ethernet cables. (Both also connected to my tv via HDMI but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.)

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:30:55 am »

So is there a solution to this please?

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 09:41:19 am »

Your Mac mini and your Bose are wired, but your iPhone or iPad uses WiFi. How strong is the signal? Does your JRemote device go to sleep or enter some kind of power saving mode while the first track is playing? I have no idea if this is relevant, but it's something to look at when you're not getting other answers.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:25 pm »

It appears the first track plays, but then when it reaches the end it replays the last few seconds again and again (which is just silence) and the next track never starts.

He signal is fine - not sure what you mean by the wired/Wifi distinction - isn’t the point of JRemote that you don’t need a wired connection?

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 01:59:05 pm »

It appears the first track plays, but then when it reaches the end it replays the last few seconds again and again (which is just silence) and the next track never starts.

He signal is fine - not sure what you mean by the wired/Wifi distinction - isn’t the point of JRemote that you don’t need a wired connection?

I thought maybe if your JRemote device has a weak WiFi signal it will have trouble controlling the server. What does the queue on the server look like as soon as you hit Play All?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:16:41 pm »

Ok, so you're using a network connection to play to your Bose.  I'm assuming it appears as a source on the left side of the MC main screen?  The reason I ask is, you are using a Mac.  Normally a network connection to an audio device would be DLNA and it would appear on the left side of the MC program (on the Mac, not on JRemote).

But because it's a Mac, you might be using AirPlay.  If you are, please say so.  Let's pretend for a moment that you are not using AirPlay.

Your problem sounds like a pretty common DLNA behavior.  I *think* what you want to do is disable "set next".  To do that, go to the Mac MC program, and right click on the Bose entry on the left.  You'll find a menu with DLNA options.  Click on that submenu and you'll see a half dozen options, one of which is "disable setnext".  Check that.  Stop any song that might be playing.  ...and try again.

If that does not fix it, I would ask this same question in the Media Network forum.  People that answer questions there know DLNA pretty well.  I only know a little bit about DLNA.

Good luck!

Brian.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 03:46:30 pm »

Thanks. No not using AirPlay.

I want to be able to play an entire album or playlist using the ‘play all now’ command. Will your suggestion about ‘set next’ address this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:22 pm »

Will your suggestion about ‘set next’ address this?

The answer to that is: Maybe

It depends on whether Bose is actually using DLNA, and if so, whether it is a well behaved DLNA Renderer. Bose doesn't say much about DLNA with respect to their Lifestyle 650 system. In fact, DLNA isn't even mentioned in the User Manual. The closest they get is referring to your Music Library.

From the User Manual:
• If the preset source is your music library, make sure the computer storing your music library is on and connected to the same network as the SoundTouch® console.

There is a tiny bit more information on their support site:
Please note: SoundTouch systems are not fully DLNA compliant and may or may not have full functionality with other models.
Ref: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/using-a-nas-drive.html

So it seems very unlikely that the Bose Lifestyle 650 system is a well behaved DLNA Renderer.

In which case, disabling the "SetNext" function may fix the problem.
Or you may need to set "Ignore Transport Events" to fix it.
Both, or one or the other. Or even one or more of the other two settings in that group.

If you are up to it, and you have a Windows PC on your network, you could try running AndrewFG's Digital Media Renderer Analyser to analyse what functions the Lifestyle 650 system supports. Or you can just try the various settings until playback works.

Note:
The Wi-Fi signal to JRemote doesn't matter. JRemote is acting as a DLNA Controller, and once it has told the DLNA Server (JRiver MC) to play a list of files on a specific DLNA Renderer (the Lifestyle 650 system), then it isn't really involved anymore. Audio is streamed from the DLNA Server to the DLNA Renderer. Unless, of course, the DLNA Controller is used to control the devices again, and change what they should be doing.

Once you start music on the Lifestyle 650 system, you should look at Playing Now in MC. If you told MC to play a full Playlist or Album, then all the associated tracks should be listed in Playing Now. If that has happened, JRemote has done its job.

BTW, did this used to work correctly, and now just stopped working? Or is this a new setup?

Also, you may be able to find more help on the Bose Community pages: https://community.bose.com/t5/English/ct-p/en
This doesn't look promising though: https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/DLNA-Support/m-p/211164#M78830

Oh. Here is your exact problem. It is a known Bose issue: https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Does-not-continue-to-the-next-song-automatically-by-DLNA/td-p/111296
That sounds like the "Ignore Get Position Failure" might fix your issue. But it is the broken or incomplete Bose DLNA implementation that is the problem.
There is hope though, as it appears that mConnect 3.0.0 does work with SoundTouch, so there must be a combination of DLNA settings that work. Try those mentioned above.

Finally, make sure you have associated a DLNA Server with the Lifestyle 650 system DLNA Renderer, and that the DLNA settings for that server in MC are configured correctly. If you only have one DLNA Server in MC, then this step isn't necessary. But if you have two or more it is. You will find the association settings in the same right-click menu Brian mentioned.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 10:45:39 am »

As I said in a previous post, DNLA has a lot of details.

Maybe we can skip past all that complicated stuff though.  If your Mac and Bose are close enough to be plugged in to your router via ethernet, they should be close enough to plug the Mac into the Bose via RCA or HDMI.

Either of those would be pretty easy to set up and should be quite reliable.  RCA would be the easiest, least error prone, cheapest cables, and most tolerant of long runs.

Just an idea.

Brian.

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 12:03:07 pm »

Thanks for the detailed responses above. Unfortunately none of them work, but appreciated all the same!

I can play through the Bose by simply using JRemote on my phone or iPad (set to ‘This Device’) and Bluetoothing the audio to the Lifestyle 650. So that at least solves the one-track-at-a-time issue.

Out of interest is this Bluetooth workaround likely to affect audio quality?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »

Out of interest is this Bluetooth workaround likely to affect audio quality?

Yes. Last time a checked Bluetooth was still limited to a 48kHz sample rate, so your phone will be downmixing any better.

Did you try this?

If you are up to it, and you have a Windows PC on your network, you could try running AndrewFG's Digital Media Renderer Analyser to analyse what functions the Lifestyle 650 system supports.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marcusturle

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »

Don’t have a windows PC I’m afraid.

HaWi

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 07:45:13 am »

I bought a used Airport Express on eBay for ~$25, added it to my Eero WiFi network, and plugged in the Bose via AUX (the Airport Express, amazingly, has an audio jack). Now this old Bose is online with Airplay and I can play anything on it from MC25 with high quality. Just a suggestion...
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 02:15:06 pm »

Don’t have a windows PC I’m afraid.

Maybe someone who has a Bose Lifestyle 650 and a Windows PC available could run the DMRA software and share the results. Hint, hint... HaWi?
Pages: [1]   Go Up