INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music backup  (Read 847 times)

Soothsayerman

• Recent member
Music backup
« on: November 24, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »

Does jriver not have a music backup function?  I know you can backup the library, but that is not the music files themselves correct?  Does it have anything to backup the music files themselves?

Thanks!!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music backup
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »

You can use the handheld sync feature or the rename, move, and copy dialog to backup your library to external locations.

Soothsayerman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »

I want to back all of it up to a cloud.  Don't really see how to do that with that tool.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 06:01:55 pm »

Use windows explorer.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 06:02:34 pm »

Is your cloud drive mapped as a drive on your computer or a folder like in dropbox\google drive? 

Soothsayerman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 11:19:14 am »

Exactly.
It is not mapped to explorer

it is dropbox/googledrive

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 11:33:42 am »

Well, if it is Dropbox then it should be mapped to a local drive.  My Dropbox folder is at C:\Users\USERNAME\Dropbox and my google drive is at C:\Users\USERNAME\Google Drive

So, you can use rename, move, and copy to copy your files to your Dropbox/whatever folder.  Your settings should look something like this

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »

Exactly. It is not mapped to explorer

it is dropbox/googledrive

I would forgo the manual nature of the RM&C tool and get over to a modestly priced app that is designed for backup.  I have settled on a combo of SyncBack Pro and Macrium Reflect on workstations with Crashplan Small Business running on the server.

I maintain 3 copies of each file (server array, removable drive and Cloud) in 3 locations to ensure maximum safety.

Copying files to Dropbox manually is better than nothing - but that only works if you remember to do it on a regular basis. I guess it comes down to how much value (and work you put in) to your library that is the deciding factor in having a reliable (and current backup)

VP

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 04:07:29 pm »

Just be aware that using Google Drive that way will put another copy of all your music in "C:\Users\USERNAME\Google Drive", for example. So you will have two copies on your PC, one of which is on the C: drive, which may cause drive space issues.

So you may want to point your Google Drive to some other disk. You could just point it to your original music folder, but that would leave your originals subject to the vagaries of Google Drive, which frankly could do anything to them.

Dropbox would be similar.

The MC process would also re-copy all the files, or at least try to initially, and would require user intervention to continue.

Better to use a proper backup tool that includes synchronisation of changes only, and keep a good local copy, or sync to the Cloud, or better still, both. That tool isn't MC.

EDIT: VP beat me. Same message though.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up