INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seagate Personal Cloud, WD MyCloud Home NASes, SMB1, OneDrive, STB/TV renderers  (Read 903 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck

My original idea was to use a NAS as a music file store and sync it with OneDrive a) for access anywhere, b) automatic backup, c) serving to non-PC devices such as TV and STB (in my case, Sony Bravia, Humax Freeview), d) phone & e) other devices maybe wi-fi speakers etc.

When MS had Groove / WMP and OneDrive and given I had a Windows environment, phone etc, this was a reasonable solution - especially with the addition of JRiver.

I bought a Seagate Personal Cloud for just this purpose.
  • The ability to sync it (or selected folders) with OneDrive no longer works because Microsoft have stopped Windows 10 supporting SMB 1. This is for security reasons and although there used to be a workround, I found it complex and unreliable and anyway working round security is not good.
  • Seagate Personal Cloud is no longer supported by Seagate (that's what their support emailed to me today).
  • WD MyCloud - I have asked the same question about OneDrive sync but suspect from searching that the same answer (SMB 1) will apply.
  • IMHO it's a disgrace that major NAS brands wash their hands of this when their website and product info still say it's possible - as does their product application when fully updated. Come clean, if this was properly stated on their support sites, it would be more honest and save customer time.
  • Formats are still an issue. Neither Sony nor Humax currently support flac and all my original purchased CDs are ripped to that (wma is twice the size and I don't want to rip to compressed formats).
  • NASes / STB / TV don't always cope easily with searching, displaying and viewing files - I've not found them particularly easy/nice to use.
What this is coming down to is that I've moved away from my "making it work without a PC in the loop" idea. I'm planning to stick a nice big SSD (quietness) in a dedicated media PC running Windows and JRiver. Set this up properly and I should be able to:
  • Serve flac audio to any PC, phone, device on the local network
  • Keep the audio files on a folder which is sync'ed to OneDrive so they're backed up and available anywhere.
  • Use JRiver to sync files to my phone (which now has JRiver for Android so I don't need to share that data with Google by using Play)
  • Could use JRiver or JRiver Remote to send audio from the media server PC to TV, STB or other local device.
  • could use a JRiver IdPi as endpoint either for quality or support other systems (e.g. analogue hi-fi)
This loses the idea of using OneDrive to backup the NAS directly and replaces it with the need to keep a PC powered on as well as a device to control JRiver. Not green but addresses the practical issues (and if Seagate / WD can't be bothered to fix their issue, I certainly don't have the tech ability to do so). I will be able to access the flac on any local device, send it around the network, sync it to phone, play it there and play it on any remote device that can access OneDrive. I can't use the TV or STB native apps to play audio but they don't support flac anyway so I'd have to maintain a converted copy.

I can also backup the media server PC (and all its content) using an external HDD (or the NAS) using FileHistory and/or Windows 7 Backup so covered in two directions (OneDrive and local).

I can also setup getiplayer on the media PC to handle the BBC radio recording automatically.

I guess much of this would also apply in the TV / video environment.

I offer this if anyone else has come across this "NAS doesn't cut it anymore because of SMB 1 stopping" issue and also has any better suggestions. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up