INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag Deleting entries for specific tags  (Read 654 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Tag Deleting entries for specific tags
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:43:33 am »

This question must have been asked a lot but I cannot find in the wiki and searching the forum provides way too many results to be useful. So here goes.

I use tags a lot to tag my movies and shows, but sometimes I enter a wrong value in a particular tag (e.g. "United States of America" instead of "USA" in the Country tag. How can I get rid of these wrong tag-entries so they will never appear again?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tag Deleting entries for specific tags
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 06:00:00 am »

You can do a search for the value in question, like "United States Of America"  (in quotes) and it should find every tag with that value.  Then, after selecting all of those files, you can change that tag to what you want (USA for example).

Another way to do this, which is more "sure" is to use a Panes view.  Build a Panes view with some Panes.  Make one of those Panes the the Tag you want to work on.  In this case the Pane would be Country.  Now you will see EVERY value that the Country tag has, including the ones you don't want.  It's very easy with a Panes view to simple select the value you don't like, which will show every file with that value.  Then just highlight those files, open the Tagging Window, and change the Tag value to what you want it to be.

These kinds of editing operations are part of the core power of MC which makes it so wonderful.

Good luck!

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:40:07 am »

Thanks that is good to know but it isn't what I am after. I want to delete the entries themselves in the tag list. I have already done what you suggested but I am stuck with these dead entries in the tag lists.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:07:50 pm »

The "entries" you see in the pulldown list are populated from files that actually have that tag.  If you see a tag in the pulldown list with the value "FooBar", then there is a file in MC that has that tag.

You might want to expand your view in MC to show all file types.  For example, you might have an Audio file or an Image with that tag, and you are only looking at Video and will not find it.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »

Thanks, I figured it out and have now removed the spurious entries using the suggested approach. Pity they cannot be deleted directly (I understand why) or used without resorting to panes to display all records associated with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up