INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to register controls. Please run as a power user.  (Read 2611 times)

Thouston

• Recent member
Unable to register controls. Please run as a power user.
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:33 pm »

Installed vs 26 and get this message when I try to open it. will not open to let me make any changes.

Thouston

• Recent member
Re: Unable to register controls. Please run as a power user.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:58:33 pm »

Fixed it. Right click on the shortcut and click run as administrator.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:14:12 pm »

While that may have fixed it, it is not a good idea to run a program as an administrator.  Generally speaking it is not secure.

I too have the same problem with the 64 bit version. 

After installing Media Center 26, the program started up correctly.  I shut it down, then ran MC 25 just to make sure that it was working properly.  I then shut that down, and started MC 26 again.  That is when I got the Unable to Register Controls error.

MC25 does not seem to have a requirement to run as an administrator

thunderfingers66

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 09:48:16 pm »

Having the same issue even on computer restart.    Frustrating.   Hoping I fixed the crashes by RE-TAMING windows defender.    Been a frustrating couple of days.
Gateway DX4860
Intel Core i3 2130 CPU@3.40 GHz 6 Gig RAM 64 Bit
Windows 10 Home Version 1809 Build 17763.864

littlegreenalien

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 11:48:07 pm »

Had same problem too. I just just right clicked it on desktop and clicked "run as administrator"

It worked for me.

thunderfingers66

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 12:34:19 am »

I do that, but, it even happens on start up and it shouldn't happen at all.    It was only after running 25 and then running 26 at first.   Now it's every time I restart the computer.    Seems like a bug to me.   Especially since I'm not the only one.    It's early in the build though.    I'm sure it'll get ironed out.
Gateway DX4860

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 12:41:47 am »

After installing Media Center 26, the program started up correctly.  I shut it down, then ran MC 25 just to make sure that it was working properly.  I then shut that down, and started MC 26 again.  That is when I got the Unable to Register Controls error.

Do you have Windows UAC prompts turned off? Turn them back on. Then when you switch between running MC26 and MC25 you will get a prompt to allow the version you are trying to run to Register Controls.

Each major version of MC runs separate DirectShow filters, and they need to be registered for MC to work. So they get switched back and forth when you switch between versions. That's because the filters for both versions have the same names.

If this happens on restart of your computer, then you still have the old version set to start with Windows. Turn that off. Run MC26 with Windows Startup. Also make sure you are using the correct shortcut for MC26 and not an old one for MC25, which perhaps you pinned to your Taskbar?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MichaelF

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 02:42:54 am »

I have had exactly the same problem on Version 26. I installed it a couple of days ago with no problem but on opening it this morning I got the unable register message. Running as adminisyrator works. Hopefully a bug fix will be released soon.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:21:16 am »

OK.  I partially get it now.  When I ran MC25, the controls were set back to the MC25 controls.  Then when I run MC26, the controls for MC26 are not registered and need to be re-registered, which is an administrator level task.  So, running MC26 as administrator, closing it, because it is not safe to run processes as administrator, then re-running it as a non administrator works properly each time I start it up.  If I run MC25 again, I would need to repeat the process of quickly running MC26 as administrator to get the controls re-registered. 

What I don't understand is when I run MC26 to get the controls re-registered, and then I run MC25, I would expect MC25 to issue the same error because the controls that it needs are not registered. However, that is not what happens.  It simply runs, but causes problems for subsequent MC26 executions.  Why is this the case?  If MC25 can run and register its controls without the need for administrator, why can't MC26 do the same thing?

Do you have Windows UAC prompts turned off? Turn them back on. Then when you switch between running MC26 and MC25 you will get a prompt to allow the version you are trying to run to Register Controls.

Each major version of MC runs separate DirectShow filters, and they need to be registered for MC to work. So they get switched back and forth when you switch between versions. That's because the filters for both versions have the same names.

If this happens on restart of your computer, then you still have the old version set to start with Windows. Turn that off. Run MC26 with Windows Startup. Also make sure you are using the correct shortcut for MC26 and not an old one for MC25, which perhaps you pinned to your Taskbar?

thunderfingers66

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 09:05:07 am »

Ok.    That worked for 26.   I haven't gone back to 25 to see if the problem repeats itself.

[Update]

Removed MC25 and going full on with MC26.   Seems stable enough to not need a safety net.   Looking good guys!    Thanks for the upgrade!
Gateway DX4860

krgoodwin

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 11:34:57 am »

This is why I love updates.  I hate to think how much time I spend on updates, backups and all the means to save time.

I uninstalled MC25 (why can't that be an option within MC26 install??) and then ran into the Unable to register controls problem.  Running as administrator from start menu (right click) fixed problem including subsequent use of the MC26 taskbar shortcut.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 03:56:38 pm »

What I don't understand is when I run MC26 to get the controls re-registered, and then I run MC25, I would expect MC25 to issue the same error because the controls that it needs are not registered. However, that is not what happens.  It simply runs, but causes problems for subsequent MC26 executions.  Why is this the case?  If MC25 can run and register its controls without the need for administrator, why can't MC26 do the same thing?

I wondered about that when you posted, and the answer is I'm not sure why MC25 just silently registers its controls. Perhaps you have edited the MC25 shortcut to run as Administrator (which is different to the right-clck Run As Administrator option) and hence permanently allowed the changes?

I don't have multiple versions of MC installed to check which it might be.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 04:03:28 pm »

I don't think it's possible for an application to silently register a control.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

I've just encountered the same issue. This has never happened before. So far, running the program as admin the first time seems to have fixed it, even for subsequent launches, but we'll see if it survives a restart.

PatrickT

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 02:10:42 pm »

I am having the same problem and I have tried all the recommendations posted here. Finally, I decided to uninstall MC 25 to see if this would help. Nope! I can't get into MC 26 at all. Help!

wmupchurch

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 05:36:25 pm »

Same exact problem.  I installed JR 26, but for some reason it leaves JR 25 on my system (why is there no option to replace/update that cleans all this up?).  I can open JR 26 just fine, but if I click on an .mp3, I get the "Unable to register controls.  Please run as a power user."  How can I make this message stop appearing?  Thank you for any help you can provide as this is severely limits my use of JRiver.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 10:00:04 pm »

In my previous post, I was mistaken when I said that MC25 does not experience the same problem.  It does, but only when I switch back and forth between running the different versions.

Let's say I ran MC26 yesterday and shut down my computer when I was done.  The next day, if I run MC25, I get the UAC prompt asking me if the program can make changes to my system.  If I select Yes, it makes the necessary change and starts up with no problem.  Then, if I shut down MC25 and start MC26, I don't get UAC prompt and I just get the error.  The only way to get out of this funk is to right click MC26 and select run as administrator.  Once I do that, it works properly until I run MC25 again.

I suspect that this problem will continue until I remove MC25 from the system.  For now I have changed the pinned shortcut to MC26.  If it works properly for me for the next few weeks, I will remove MC25 from the system, thereby eliminating the possibility of that error from happening again.

While that may have fixed it, it is not a good idea to run a program as an administrator.  Generally speaking it is not secure.

I too have the same problem with the 64 bit version. 

MC25 does not seem to have a requirement to run as an administrator

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 10:06:09 pm »

Install MC26.0.14.

26.0.14 (12/16/2019)

1. Fixed: Media Center could not ask for permission when running tasks which needed administrator rights (installing plugins, registering controls, etc).

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123399.0.html

wmupchurch

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 12:41:32 pm »

Nice!  I can confirm that this is fixed.  I had to select update to the latest version (vs the stable version) to get the update, but it's all working great now.  Thank you!

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »

I agree.  The update fixed the issue for me too.

Nice!  I can confirm that this is fixed.  I had to select update to the latest version (vs the stable version) to get the update, but it's all working great now.  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up