INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: Importing photos - JRiver doesn't use "Date Taken"?  (Read 1058 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen
Bug: Importing photos - JRiver doesn't use "Date Taken"?
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:25:58 am »

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has this problem.
I exported a number of photos from a Mac.

When I try to import them into JRiver, the "Date" field is completely wrong.

The files attributes (when I right click and select properties in Windows) are:
Date Taken: 20/09/2019 07:17
Date Created: 14/12/2019 18:30
Date Modified: 14/12/2019 16:04

Yet in JRiver when I look in tags I see the "Date" shown as 09/01/2019 …. which bares no resemblance to any of the dates in any of the tags. I would have hoped to see 20/09/2019 as above

Anyone else experienced this?
Is there any way to correct this?
I have tried to reimport to no avail and have tried the "Update Library from Tags".

Stuck here - thoughts and help welcome.

Thanks all.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing photos: JRiver doesn't use "Date Taken"?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 03:56:20 pm »

MC uses Date Taken in the [Date] field, unless there is no Date Taken in the file, in which case it uses Date Modified.

The example you use does seem strange on the face of it, but without knowing the provenance of the image, I can't be sure what has happened. For example, the [Date] in MC is editable, so you could have accidentally selected the file and updated it along with other files. Particularly as you have been working with the images in recent days.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:46:08 am »

Thanks Roderick - really appreciate your reply.

No it genuinely seems a bug somewhere in JRiver as I've never experienced it before.

I've rechecked the files and they all have the correct "date taken" attribute (various dates over the last year), but JRiver lists them all with Date of 09Jan19.
I've even deleted and re-imported them to no avail....same problem.
Trying to figure out where this 09Jan date even comes from.

Completely at a loss here and appreciate your thoughts and any help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:54:22 am »

I've even deleted and re-imported them to no avail....same problem.

That won't help as MC keeps a record of deleted files, including their metadata, and will re-use that metadata if the file is reimported. You can find the files in the "Removed Database" using a View of that database, and remove them from there, in which case a re-import should use the tag data from the file. EDIT: Computer says Noooo.

But, find a few examples and try running the right-click "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)" function against them. That should see MC re-read the Date Taken tag and save them in the [Date] field, I think, if the Data Taken tag is present. Worth a try.  EDIT: Computer says Noooo.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 04:40:10 am »

I just imported a jpg image with a Date Taken in 2012, a Date Modified in 2017, and a Date Created today (as it was a copy of a file, so created today). MC imported the Date Taken into the [Date] field correctly.

I then edited the [Date] field to be in 2015, then ran the right-click "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)" function against it. Alas, the [Date] tag was not set back to the original date, and worse, the Date Modified of the files was changed to the current date and time. So something was written to the file, but it wasn't the Date Taken.

I just tried the delete files, delete record of it from the Removed Database, re-import file, and that didn't fix the Date Taken value. :( 

So deleted the [Date] field in MC and ran the right-click "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)" function again. This time it set the [Date] field to the Zero day MC uses, 30 Dec 1899. That value was written to tags in the file; the IPTC Date Created and the XML DateCreated. Very  :'(

I tried some other tricks, but nothing restored the correct Date Taken, even though the correct Date Taken is still shown in the Tag Dump are of the MC Tag Action Window. Check if it does for your files.

I find the Date Taken to be a sacrosanct piece of metadata, never to be overwritten. Maybe MC deliberately only reads that tag once, and won't write to it ever, for that very reason. I haven't imported any important images into MC so far because of issues like this. I would be interested in knowing what is going on

If you search the forum for posts by MusicHawk about IPTC tags you might find some better information. He has been pursuing image metadata issues. Certainly what is happening now doesn't seem logical.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 09:06:59 am »

Good to see I'm not the only one having problems.

This is such a basic/sacrosanct requirement - I hope it gets some attention.

TorqW

• World Citizen
Re: Bug: Importing photos - JRiver doesn't use "Date Taken"?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 03:52:40 am »

Will this bug be dealt with? - otherwise makes JRiver useless as a photo library unfortunately.
Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:33:01 am »

Could you send me a copy of a photo along with what you think the date should be?  I'm matt at jriver.  Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 02:48:01 pm »

I'll leave it to TorqW to provide a sample, unless that is an issue.

But please Matt, whatever you do, never, ever update the Date Taken tag in the file. It is sacrosanct. But "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)" should re-read the date Taken tag and update the [Date] field after a file has already been imported, I think.

I think there must be a logical hierarchy of dates in a file that MC uses now, which is why deleting and re-importing the file didn't correctly set the Date field to Date Taken. Once MC has seen a file, and written something to it, MC won't read the Date Taken again on re-import.

If in doubt, consider MusicHawk's discussion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up